My "Little One"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talons

Reaction score
Well, first of all, "HI"! I found this forum when I was looking for ideas for the interior of Jon boats. So, I subscribed.

We had a 20+ Seasquirt for around 15 years, but I sold that recently which left us with our little LOWE Jon Boat. I didn't even know what I had until I looked. Why? Because I inherited it after my brother in law died.

Turns out it is a pretty neat little rig... "But..." And that word is what brings me here. HA HA HA! :D

Okay, I have no pictures of 'her' yet, but here's what I am starting with.
1436 L LOWE LAKE JON.
20 HP (max HP for the boat) Mercury Outboard.
Continental Trailer.

The trailer needs some 'minor' things.
The engine runs but the socket that moves the transmission level into gear broke last weekend, so that needs to be replaced. ($2.80 part).
The boat itself came with the front deck option, but no center bench seat live well. That is filled with floatation.
There is a front seat with extension and mounting plate and all of the under wood structure is angled aluminum.
It has a trolling motor mount and fish finder mount as well as plug in NAV light socket up front. In the rear I have the clamp on swivel seat bracket that I think is sold at Walmart.

Now, it is a nice little boat, but it CAN be better and more organized for the "mission", right? And as I have seen from your site here that is TRUE.

So, what I want to do is basically convert it to the job better and be more fun because of that.
I am not sure where to start, so I thought I would start with a plan of ideas.
What started me thinking down this line was the trolling motor plug wires came out and the only way to access them was to remove the ENTIRE front decking. And even then I still could not get the old plug out. The reason for this is because the bow has a reinforcement strip of thick aluminum. But, when i got the deck off... OH MAN!!! I just knew I had to do some things to improve 'her'.

1) The first thing I am going to do is fix the engine (it was running three weeks ago, but last week at the lake I had some trouble).
2) Make a plan, finalize the plan, implement the plan. :D

Okay, so here's what I am thinking.
1) Put the electrical system up front for the most part, because that is where most of it will be. For this system I will need the power plant, a 12V DC marine battery (i have a siz 27 right now, but want to drop that to a 24). I have the trolling motor that will need to be powered, the front NAV light (as I want to do a LOT of night fishing), the fish finder (new), the GPS unit (new), courtesy lights (new), rear anchor light (new) and MAYBE an aerator for a live well (if I can figure out where to put it). Basically the entire system will be below the decking which will be five sections, the front deck, the rear deck, the front main deck (small deck in front of the mid bench seat), the MID MAIN deck and the gunwale storage boxes. So, one question I have is which is better for decking wood or aluminum? I want to be able to just rinse her down when I am done with her. Okay, that covers the electrical system and the basic decking.
In the rear, I want to put a fuel tank that fits into a 20"Lx14"Wx12"H that has a sending unit for the fuel gauge which I may or may not install. I actually found a tank this size (surprised me no end) but it is 12 gallons. That's NOT really a problem. The problem with the tank is it is NOT that portable and kind of pricey at $170. In the same bilge area under the rear decking, accessible via a hatch, would be the bilge pump.
I want to move the current seat to the center of the rear bench seat via a similar mount like the front one Lock N Pin type mount. My benches are currently filled with the standard USCG flotation required on boats. I am NOT that in favor of removing them as I have already had the boat full of salt water on one trip (that is another story entirely) so, I am thinking I need that stuff in there.
Okay, on the starboard gunwale in front of the 'driver', would be the switches/console/gauge area, but mounted in the verticle 'wall' of the newly built gunwale 'box'. Again, what is the best material for this? Also in both gunwales are red LED courtesy lights for fishing and seeing in the dark. I would also like to have white ones as well as my sons all do not see that well. Since I have no electrical starting system, the only electrical wires I need to run to the stern are for the anchor light.
Up front under the deck, I want to put the battery, in a box, that is secure. However, a friend said I should use middle bench seat for this. The middle bench seat is where I think I am the most 'stuck' There are just so many choices and I 'think' I want to be able to bring three people fishing. In both bench seats, I want to mount those removable tackle boxes/trays that are rather secure while moving and keep stuff out of the way. In the main deck (almost in the center of it, actually) I was thinking about installing those ice chest positioners that hold a standard ice chest and keep it from moving. This ice chest could be used for snacks/drinks or as the fish box if I can find another place to put an ice chest (or two little ones).

Well, so far that is all I have. I am hoping to get pictures of the boat as it is now and then put up a plan of action and I am asking for ideas, suggestions, etc. with changing the "Little One" from just an off the rack purchase to something that is 10 times more functional and can really be proud of.

Thanks a lot,
Talons

Okay, it is an L1436... Sorry about that.

Here is a basic picture of her as it came from LOWE.

T

Attachments

• L1436 Lowe Jon Boat.jpg
    L1436 Lowe Jon Boat.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 3,486
pictures pictures pictures!!! :)

welcome! and i cant wait to see how you boat/motor/trailer looks! we have a very similar boat! mine just has a different nose

Well, bad news...
I got the new primer bulb, but the engine would not stay running. As I dissassembled the gas line, I saw melted plastic in there. My fear is that the plastic has gotten into the carb. So, off to the repair shop for this 20 HP 2000 Mercury Outboard.

I will be taking pictures of the boat, motor and trailer tomorrow as I found our camera tonight. These will be the starting pictures.

I have been thinking a lot about FUEL systems today... :)

I am thinking I want to put the fuel tank up front. Has anyone else done this? What kind of problems have you run into?

Thanks,
Talons

I have the same boat but am not going to modify it. Am converting a 16' Polar Kraft Jon boat to a Bass boat. This link should get you to the boat project.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27078&p=279869#p279869

Looks like your boat either has or you are adding a steering console and you are planning to add seats on top of the boats bench seats. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I did that to the 16' Jon boat before starting the current rehab. Found the seats added on top of the bench seats were too high. Had to lean over a bit to steer and the center of gravity just didn't feel right. I left the rear bench seat where it was but made an aluminium frame out of angled aluminium to support the new seats, which are now forward of the bench seat and lowered.

On the 14' Lowes Jon boat I have, I put the 6 gal gas tank up front. With the gas tank behind the rear bench seat I found the bow rode too high, obscuring visibility. The 12 gal tank you want to add will put too much weight aft if you leave it behind the rear bench seat and take up way too much room if you put it up front. A 6 gal plastic gas tank can be had at Walmart for short money and will fit your 14' boat much better that a 12 gal tank.

The last comment is about taking 3 people with gear out in a 14' boat, especially in open salt water. It is done all the time but read the data plate on your boat. It will tell you what the load capacity is in both pounds and number of people. I think 3 people with gear and a 12 gal gas tank would overload your boat. Will read the data plate on my 14' Lowes Jon boat and get back to you.

I have taken 4 people out in a 16' Jon boat just for a ride but that is stretching it. Have taken 3 people out with fishing gear but feel more comfortable with only 2 people with gear for fishing. I would think the 14' Lowes Jon boat would be safer with 2 people max plus gear.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, 12 gallons and my fat *** in the back is just plain too much weight back there. I didn't even think about weight and balance until I saw someone else's conversion. Then I go "That's not a good idea!".

I really appreciate your input. I have NOT read the weight limit placard yet, but I believe it says 3 person are max. But, the two additional persons would be my kids. Not saying I want to be unsafe, just that right now they don't weigh much! :)

But, overall, what I want is EVERYTHING OUT OF THE WAY AND IN ITS PLACE, with a nice clean 'area' for fishing! Which leads me to what I am thinking about regarding the fuel tank.

The walmart tanks are just basically junk. True, they are cheap and I have an Attwood 6 gallon right now. But, it doesn't fit in the transom bilge area so, it sits in front of me in the driver's seat. Taking up space. Then we have a cooler that also goes there, once again infriging on space. Then in front of the mid bench sits the battery. All of these things are in the main or secondary deck areas. So, after talking to one of my coworkers he suggested putting the gas tank forward UNDER the front deck. I thought that was a pretty good idea. So, now I am looking for a TAPERED type tank that will fit up there. I have to remeasure tomorrow, but I think I can make one that will be about 6 to 7.5 gallons capacity. I would PREFER to just buy it, but I am having some trouble finding just the right one. Since I am not sure what material this tank will be made out of, I read about aluminum fuel tank installation and right now, unless I can find a plastic one, I am leaning toward the aluminum solution. That might change, I don't know. But, suffice it to say that a triangle type tapered tank that is 32" length, by 12" wide and 9" high is right around 7.5 US gallons. In addition, since it is tapered, I am hoping to take advantage of gravity by having the fuel come out of the lowest part of the bottom of the tank, feeding that to the rear of the boat using some sort of fuel line. Here, once again, I want to use something better than your rubber fuel line. That last link from the fuel to the engine can be the rubber piece with the primer bulb, again, probably custom built.

Any and all advice and suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks,
Talons

Do other people have this much trouble getting started? :roll:

Oh yeah, I am not putting in a console as of this posting... I really don't want to have to remove the middle bench... Actually I don't want to remove ANY benches.

Talons

Okay, here come the pictures!
Bah, the pictures are TOO big... Sheesh!
I will work on that.
Talons

Pictures: YEAH!!!

Talons

Attachments

• First Set from NIKON 131.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 131.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3,352
  • First Set from NIKON 132.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 132.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,352
  • First Set from NIKON 133.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 133.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 3,352
  • First Set from NIKON 134.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 134.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3,352
  • First Set from NIKON 135.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 135.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 3,352
  • First Set from NIKON 136.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 136.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 3,352
  • First Set from NIKON 137.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 137.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,352
  • First Set from NIKON 138.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 138.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3,352
  • First Set from NIKON 139.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 139.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 3,352
  • First Set from NIKON 140.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 140.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3,352
  • First Set from NIKON 141.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 141.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 3,352
  • First Set from NIKON 144.jpg
    First Set from NIKON 144.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 3,352
Alright, well, today while I took the pictures and sat there looking at them, I also made a LOT of decisions about how, and what I wanted to do. For me, the most important thing is that everything has a place in the boat instead of in my way. That includes the PERSONS on board... :D!

So, what I did was start with the first major system piece I cannot find, which is the fuel tank and system. My buddy and I were think we would build a fiberglass gas tank, but I think I have decided to use aluminum if I can find it. I found this neat product called TECHNO-WELD, which allows you to weld aluminum quite easily. Then I decided about the size. Since 231 cu in. = 1 US Gallon (volume calculations), I am going to go with a trapezoidal shaped tank that is approximately 24" wide x 7" high X 5" high on the other side. The final side will just 'fit' to form the bottom of the tank and provide the sloping gravity fed fuel system. This will drain out of a standard fuel fitting (first hole in tank) and connect to the fuel line which runs the length of the boat to the stern. This will end with a standard quick-disconnect fitting which is where the final segment of fuel line (rubber with the primer bulb) will be. The other end of that will connect to the standard Mercury fitting on the engine. Moving back to the bow, the tank will either have two flanges that allow for it to be mounted on the nose bench and one of the floor ribs, or I will use two aluminum strips as tie-downs for the tank so that it can't move.

I believe the gas tank is going to be the BIGGEST issue for me as I don't seem to be able to find one that fits up there under the current decking.

Next week, I have to take the boat into the shop to get the Mercury's carberatur fixed. So, no progress will be made, but I need to remeasure the bow area under the bow deck. Once I do that, I can determine if the gas tank idea I have will work and whether or not it is a good idea. I would also like to get the battery up there too. Since it is under the deck, I may have to provide some kind of vent. Most likely I will just vent to the side of the boat. The fill cap (at least envisioned at the moment) is just gonna go right through the deck and have a cap that is visible above the bow deck. IF I can get the aluminum, the welding tool and the measurements, I think the tank itself won't take to too long to build. It will need four holes in; the drain/feed hole, the fill hole, the vent hole and either a sending unit for a fuel gauge or some sort of sight gauge that you can see if you open a hatch or something.

This is what I have thought of for the bow. There are a few little other things for 'up front' too, but overall, the tank is going to be the biggie.

Talons

Unfortunately, I can't offer ANY advice, but It looks like you have a great platform to start with!
Looking forward to pics of your progress!!!!

Because of someone else on this forum, I got motivated to do some more 'deconstruction' last evening.
Removed the front deck to find the aluminum supporting structure under there.

Today, I am hoping to make a cardboard (or some kind of) mock up of the new fuel tank to show that it fits and determine it's actual placement before going to all the trouble of making it.

It should be 24" long, 12" wide, 7" tall on aft side and 5" tall on the forward side. Anyway, when I get the mock up done and placed I will put up some additional pictures.

But, I must say I am SOOOO happy I found this site.

Talons

Attachments

• second set 011.jpg
    second set 011.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,291
Nice boat..looks like Im going to have another cool build to follow in the 14' family. Inlovewithsurfin has the same type of seats and pedestals. Im pretty sure I am going with them as well. How do you like them? Keeping them?

have you gotten to test drive the boat before you started working on it? i am wondering how she flys with that 20 horse on the back? i have a yamaha 15hp on the back of my lowe 1436.

also... as far as people on the boat goes... i fish with 3 people on my boat all the time with no problems at all! very stable just moves a little slower :)

trueblue1970 said:
Nice boat..looks like Im going to have another cool build to follow in the 14' family. Inlovewithsurfin has the same type of seats and pedestals. Im pretty sure I am going with them as well. How do you like them? Keeping them?
Not to knock those seats, but they are 'old and faded'... although I am NOT looking to spend a whole lot of $ on things, the seats I think I will get are the kind that have no cushion and drain the water. Or I can just go for another set of these. They work and they are actually fine for the job. The PLUS side on them is: Available at Walmart off the shelf and probably the cheapest ones you can find. :)

Talons

inlovewithsurfin said:
have you gotten to test drive the boat before you started working on it? i am wondering how she flys with that 20 horse on the back? i have a yamaha 15hp on the back of my lowe 1436.

also... as far as people on the boat goes... i fish with 3 people on my boat all the time with no problems at all! very stable just moves a little slower :)

Yes! I have taken her fishing a few times already! We got some specks and some ladyfish. "I am wondering how she flys..." Let's just say that at FULL THROTTLE, the kids get scared! :D

I normaly cruise at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. And even that is a bit on the fast side. She plans well, she rides smooth and she handles fairly well too.

I have had the entire family in the boat, but that was NOT a good idea. It floated with about 4 inches left on the sides. We were idling as no one wanted to go fast that day.

With my standard complement of 2 persons and gear it FLIES!
With my optional complement of 3 persons and gear, well, it STILL FLIES!!!

Talons

Okay, here is the mock up of the gas tank.

I also took a video of the 'mock installation' but I don't have that done yet. When I do, I will post that on Youtube!

So, that tank is basically 12x7x12x5, and as shown in the mock up, there are no sides on that. There will, of course, be sides on the finished product.

Talons

Attachments

• Third Set 003.jpg
    Third Set 003.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 593
  • Third Set 002.jpg
    Third Set 002.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 593
  • Third Set 001.jpg
    Third Set 001.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 593
Talons said:
Yes! I have taken her fishing a few times already! We got some specks and some ladyfish. "I am wondering how she flys..." Let's just say that at FULL THROTTLE, the kids get scared! :D

I normaly cruise at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. And even that is a bit on the fast side. She plans well, she rides smooth and she handles fairly well too.

I have had the entire family in the boat, but that was NOT a good idea. It floated with about 4 inches left on the sides. We were idling as no one wanted to go fast that day.

With my standard complement of 2 persons and gear it FLIES!
With my optional complement of 3 persons and gear, well, it STILL FLIES!!!

Talons

sounds like i need a bigger motor! :)

not that my boat is slow... just not necessarily super fast! haha

I had a 9.9 on a 14 Fiberglass Homemade Jon boat a long time ago... That thing was FAST!

This one is MUCH faster! It surprises people!

Talons
p.s. What no comments about the fuel tank???