What's some things you need to bring while going fishing?

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
HANGEYE

Post by HANGEYE »

I always bring my wife. That way I'll have some fish for the fry pan. =D>
There are more fish taken out of a lake than ever were in it.

fishingmich

Post by fishingmich »

All of what was mentioned previously, however with all the mention of toilet paper, nobody mentioned a water proof container for it. A couple of inexpensive containers that I have used are an peanut butter container, small Folgers plastic coffee can or a small Oxy clean container. The peanut butter jar and the Oxy clean container have lids that screw on, but the coffee can lid just snaps on. I use a giant folgers can for for other storage including a small first aid kit, hand wipes, hand sanitizer and the aforementioned can with toilet paper. One thing that was mentioned that I want to expand on is rain ponchos. I made sure te ones that I got are orange so they can be seen in case of an emergency. Alo the toilet paper container can beused to bail water if necessary.
I fish, therefore I am AWESOME!
16' Smokercraft V Hull
15 hp Merc

bcbouy

Post by bcbouy »

i went to the sporting goods and bought a dry sack for my tp and my fishing licence.up here the are all electronic and once you buy the licence you print it out,and its way too big for a wallet so it stays on the boat in the sack.theres also a lighter in there.ive had to wait out storms on shore more than once,and a fire is always nice.
if all else fails....stop using all else

nlester

Post by nlester »

Munchies - PayDay candy bars, granola bars, jerky or nuts. I can just leave these in my tackle box from trip to trip. Almost anything else would melt in Texas.

I don't like my phone in a plastic bag. Since I use AT&T I bought a $12 Go Phone from Walmart. I pop my SIM card our of my good phone, put it in the Go Phone and I have phone service. If I fall in with my Go Phone, it's just $12 abd all I have to do to answer it is reach in my pocket.

The valet key for my car that does not have a built in door opener. Most other things, I keep in a waterproof Plano box in my tackle box.

CodyPomeroy

What's some things you need to bring while going fishing

Post by CodyPomeroy »

Loggerhead Mike wrote:Toilet paper is always a must. I hate to have to surrender a good sock.
off topic but... this reminds me of a story. A friend of mine went camping. 2 guys. 4 girls. Each guy brought 1 roll of toilet paper. The girls didn't bring any. You get the idea...

freetofish

Post by freetofish »

I always carry a crappie measuring device as well as a "golden ruler" for measuring bass and other fish. Most of the lakes I fish have some restrictions as to legal length. It would not be good to be caught with an illegal fish. I also carry a fish scale weighing tool to know what the catches weight is. Also I carry a means of keeping my fish identified as mine vrs those of my partners... Helps in the count of a 'Number of fish check"
I believe the most important thing I bring with me is a "I'm not in a hurry today" attitude...Have fun, take my time and enjoy nature.

nlester

Post by nlester »

nomowork wrote:Along with many of the previously mentioned stuff, I also carry a small rope step ladder in both of my boats. I had to climb back into my boat once and found it wasn't all that easy when you're in deep water. I was able to climb back on board once using the horizontal thingy (sorry, senior moment) on the lower unit but had to have someone sit on the front of the boat.
Good advice. The one time I fill overboard in deep water, i remembered that someone in a forum had said to use the stabilizer on the motor as a step to help you get back on board. Next time I might let my friend tow me shallow water. A 69 year old heavy weight climbing back into a boat is not a pretty sight.

bcbouy

Post by bcbouy »

i managed to knock my prescription sunglasses off my head and overboard,i jumped in without thinking,and managed to grab them,but getting back in was difficult to say the least.fully clothed and soaked.i used my hydro fin to climb in but it wasn't easy.the wife was no help, :LOL2:
if all else fails....stop using all else

Zum

Post by Zum »

It's law to have a boarding devise,if your side are over 20"s to the water.
It might be like that in B.C as well,just saying.

rickybobbybend

Post by rickybobbybend »

bcbouy wrote:...i used my hydro fin to climb in but it wasn't easy.the wife was no help, :LOL2:
Especially since she started the motor when you were still in the drink lol.
RickyBobbyBend
Gregor 1244 Welded V, Evinrude 9.9
Modest Mods on Gregor 1244 V: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=24612

nlester

Post by nlester »

My little boat doesn't have much room so I rarely carry a net but I usually keep a lip gripper and a towel incase I catch something with more spines and slime than I want to handle. A big cat fish can be a lot to handle.