Filling holes in aluminum

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
the hammer

Post by the hammer »

Have a few holes in the bow from various accessories that have been removed or moved. Nothing big, screws and the 1/2 incher for cables to pass through.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks.

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

the hammer wrote:Have a few holes in the bow from various accessories that have been removed or moved. Nothing big, screws and the 1/2 incher for cables to pass through.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks.
I have been welding them up, if you have someone locally who can weld aluminum this would be a good option and shouldn’t be too expensive.

nccatfisher

Post by nccatfisher »

Welding is by far the best way. I do it for folks all the time. If you want to save yourself some money get with the welder and set up a time. Ask him ahead about it but most times they are agreeable. Get a CLEAN scotchbrite pad and clean the area around the weld to a good polished finish without removing material. Make sure NOT to contaminate that pad with grease or oil. If you do use a clean one. By doing this you will save yourself about 50% on the cost of having it done.

Most hole patching jobs I do I spend as much time prepping (cleaning) as welding.

the hammer

Post by the hammer »

Thanks guys!

thill

Post by thill »

Or a small nut and bolt, with washers, if t. I use them all the time for this work, and they look pretty decent, and you can re-use the holes later, if needed
Boats:
1998 Crestliner 1650 Fish Hawk (Current Project Boat)
1995 Princecraft 16 - "Starfish 20", Evinrude 35 HP
1997 Wellcraft 24 W/A, Evinrude 200 HP Ficht
1994 Offshore CC Bay Boat, 22' - Evinrude 115 HP
1967 Ski Barge 19 C.C, 1992 Evinrude 70 HP (Future Project Boat)