Filling in Pedestal Seat Holes in Marine Grade Plywood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stimputello

Reaction score
I bought an old 1996 Starcraft fish master and have some pedestal holes I’m trying to fill in and was wondering if anyone had some input.

Thinking of maybe doing some Advantech or 3/4 Ply cut with a hole-saw and stepped out fiberglassed mat on the underside. Any thoughts?

Would interior ply be fine if I SOAKED the ply circles over the course of a few days? I am planning on removing all carpeting and painting the interior of the boat with thin raptor liner (two-part epoxy bedliner/paint) so I’m a bit worried about paint adhesion and delamination. Also debating just putting the pedestal bases back in and filling with a rubber plug with the slim chance I want to put more than one seat back in the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_6318.jpeg
    IMG_6318.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 1
I think I would keep the pedestal bases and not worry about it. I have two pedestal bases in the middle of my deck that are seldom used. I walk over them all the time and hardly know they are there. They are a low profile dome shape, very similar if not the same as the one on your front deck.

If you want to fill the holes, I would get exterior ply or hardwood scraps. Then make a simple stepped plug and epoxy it in place. Like this maybe:

Plug.jpg

An alternative (maybe easier) approach would be to cut a rectangular piece of wood that will fit through the hole. Then glue/screw it underneath as a backer to support the round plug you will epoxy in place. Kind of like this:

Plug2.jpg

Never know when you will want to use them again !! You can bet, as soon as you plug one, you will wish you hadn't....just the way things go....If you want to cover them up, a simple plug with a cover that you can walk over without tripping on...but never permanent !! Things always change over time.....

I can't say whether or not you should hold on to the pedestal bases. If you choose to take them out, the second of LDUBS' suggestions would be the way I'd go. Easy to do and it works well.

Yeah I think I've decided to keep the pedestal bases for now, no reason to completely get rid of them! After a season or two I'll decide whether I want to keep them or not!

With a "SLIM" chance that you may want to put a seat back in the boat, and want a flat deck, I would also go with LDUB' second suggestion.
I have a 17' Starcraft SFM with 4 of the low-profile pin type seat bases in it, never seemed to be a problem, comes down to your call on what you want to do.

If it were me I would probably just install inspection covers. I have one of these in my floor for access to the fuel tank sending unit and it doesn't bother me one bit.

81B0E4K++pL._AC_SX679_.jpg

If it were me I would probably just install inspection covers. I have one of these in my floor for access to the fuel tank sending unit and it doesn't bother me one bit.

81B0E4K++pL._AC_SX679_.jpg

^^^ Keep it simple - I like that ^^^^.

This is a lot easier than what the Ldubs guy says. And, if you decide to reinstall the seat pedestals, just pull the inspection covers and you are good to go!