Tohatsu 50 hp Compression Test

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gogittum

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Tohatsu 50 hp LPDI engine with about ~800 hours that sat for a couple of years off the boat. When I went to start it, I sprayed some light oil into the spark plug holes and figured it'd crank for a while and spread the oil. I got a surprise - it fired almost instantly and the throttle connection inside the cowling had gotten moved. The motor screamed into full throttle and I hit the switch to kill it.

I felt sick. I was sure the instant start and revving would've burned the rings at the very least, so I did a compression test on it. All 3 cylinders were right square on 90 psi, which to me seems very low, but they were at least even.

I looked online and found a site that said something to the effect that Tohatsu's have some kind of setup that limits cranking pressure and that 90 psi is normal for those engines - it's not full running compression. Sounds a bit odd to me, but of course I can't find that site again - has anyone had any experience with this ?? I plan to put the motor back into use in a couple of months and not sure if I'll need to re-ring it.

Don't worry so much about the numbers. I doubt you hurt it.

I'd be more worried about the impeller, it's probably toast from running bone dry at high RPMs. Replace that, get it in some water, and run it, see how it acts.