1956 Evinrude Modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodnocker

Reaction score
So, searching Craigslist and trying to find an outboard for my 12' Smoker Craft. I found a 1956 Evinrude 10hp for $100.00. I go to look at it and the motor is not locked up. I can feel the resistance when I pull the rope (hoping for good compression, but no tools to check it). I can change the gears (forward, neutral, reverse) and see the prop change accordingly. He didn't have a gas tank so I couldn't try to fire it up. I figured at this price, it was worth the gamble so I paid the man and brought it home. As I'm sure the knowledgeable people out there have already guessed... it requires a "pressurized tank". Two lines run from the motor to the tank. One pressurizes the tank while the other receives the fuel to the carburetor. I found out from a local boat shop that they stopped making these in 1960 and when you do find them, they are not cheap and will normally have to be cleaned up and rebuilt. I was told I was looking to spend about another $100.00 for tank and lines.

This brings me to my quandary... After doing quite a bit of research on the net I found out about a "Mikuni Pulse Fuel Pump" that can be used on this motor and it will then be able to use a standard single line tank.

I was wondering if in the vast experiences of those that are here, if there is anything I should know about before I embark on this modification, and if anyone has any good tips on making this change.

My plans are to get a carb kit and this fuel pump and do both at the same time. I have already ordered a service manual for this motor (I don't have enough posts yet to get the free download from here) and am hoping to be getting it soon.

From what I was told, this motor sat for about 2 years. It did run before it was stored but the owner bought a larger motor and just put this one aside.

Is there anything else I should be doing to this motor before I try to fire it up?

Thanks for any assistance in this.

Not sure about the 56' 10hp but I did a fuel pump conversion with at 58' Johnson 18 hp. I just took off the bypass cover and fuel pump for the 66' 20hp and put it on the 58' 18 hp and never had a problem. Someone here may know if there is an equivalent match for your motor with a 60's model with a single line fuel setup. Good luck with the motor. Those old Johnsons/Evinrudes are so cool looking and will last you forever if they are maintained.