Invasive species

Registered Users Only! Register....It's worth it!
New River Rat

Invasive species

Post by New River Rat »

I'm constantly making the remark that, if I go chasing New River smallies this time of year, I just want one bite.

Water temp 40, air temp 38, high, clear flow, pre-weather front.

Wrong species.
20170616_180611 - Copy-crop.JPG
My Tinny is a tool, a means to an end, if you will.

New River Smallies

Case Plastics Pro Staff

KMixson

Invasive species

Post by KMixson »

That fish has a little larger mouth than a smallie. :LOL2:

LDUBS

Invasive species

Post by LDUBS »

We don't have those fish out here so I know little about them, including how large they get. That looks like a heck of a catch and I would imagine the gear for small mouths is a little lighter than you would use for a musky. Thanks for sharing.
Have Rod - Will Fish

onthewater102

Invasive species

Post by onthewater102 »

It's still a damned slimer...even if it's a big one LOL
I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

richg99

Invasive species

Post by richg99 »

If that is a "fail" day, I'd still be happy with it. I like muskies; and smallies; and LM Bass and....etc. etc. etc.

KMixson

Invasive species

Post by KMixson »

How do you know for sure you didn't hook a smallie and this fish ate your smallie?

New River Rat

Invasive species

Post by New River Rat »

KMixson wrote:How do you know for sure you didn't hook a smallie and this fish ate your smallie?
According to my friend that is the muskie biologist at the V.D.G.I.F. for our region, that doesn't happen....yeah, piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, Joe Williams. Samples have been collected with their stomachs pumped, and according to his P.R. spiel, only something like 3 smallies in 200 muskies were found. B.S.!!!!!

The V.D.G.I.F. introduced these slime rockets around '70 or '72, and below Claytor Lake, they are naturalized. Supposedly, the stocking program there hasn't been used in 6 or 7 years. Yeah, now we are over loaded with stunted muskies and trophy (20"+) smallmouth are rather scarce.

New River Smallies

Case Plastics Pro Staff

LDUBS

Invasive species

Post by LDUBS »

Holy cow, if that is a stunted muskie you are going to need a bigger boat for a regular sized one. :shock:
Have Rod - Will Fish

New River Rat

Invasive species

Post by New River Rat »

A few over the years.....

https://s684.photobucket.com/user/newriv ... t=3&page=1

I'm guessing the 12th 14th pic was a 50"er, never measured. Since about 2000, I'm guessing close to 100 or so. Maybe 6 over 45".

New River Smallies

Case Plastics Pro Staff

New River Rat

Invasive species

Post by New River Rat »

Today turned out better, at least I found the correct species.
20170622_150138.JPG

New River Smallies

Case Plastics Pro Staff

LDUBS

Invasive species

Post by LDUBS »

It is official. This is the first TinBoat 2019 fishing report!! Keep them coming.
Have Rod - Will Fish

BigTerp
Donor

Invasive species

Post by BigTerp »

New River Rat wrote:
KMixson wrote:How do you know for sure you didn't hook a smallie and this fish ate your smallie?
According to my friend that is the muskie biologist at the V.D.G.I.F. for our region, that doesn't happen....yeah, piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, Joe Williams. Samples have been collected with their stomachs pumped, and according to his P.R. spiel, only something like 3 smallies in 200 muskies were found. B.S.!!!!!

The V.D.G.I.F. introduced these slime rockets around '70 or '72, and below Claytor Lake, they are naturalized. Supposedly, the stocking program there hasn't been used in 6 or 7 years. Yeah, now we are over loaded with stunted muskies and trophy (20"+) smallmouth are rather scarce.
I tend to agree with your buddy. The Susquehanna, although an obviously different fishery, is home to both muskie and flathead catfish yet is still one of the premier smallmouth fisheries in the country. The same with the Potomac in regards to muskie and flathead. Although the Potomac was never, and will never be the smallmouth fishery the Susquehanna is, there has been an explosion of flathead in recent years with a still very healthy muskie population (state record of 49" caught just 2 years ago) and I haven't seen a decline in smallmouth fishing one bit. I think guys are also finding out the same in the lower Potomac in regards to the snakeheads.

Now, with all of that said I used to think the muskie and booming flathead populations were going to ruin my local waters for smallmouth. But with years of evidence (out fishing) I couldn't back that hypothesis up. Hopefully the future provides the same evidence.
BigTerp's Tracker Sportsman 16' build-------> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26774

handyandy

Invasive species

Post by handyandy »

I'd be fishing for muskie if they were so prolific you can't catch a smallie over them. I love some smallies, but also really love some pike/muskie. If you hate them then keep your limit of them to eat, they're decent table fair.

New River Rat

Invasive species

Post by New River Rat »

handyandy wrote:I'd be fishing for muskie if they were so prolific you can't catch a smallie over them. I love some smallies, but also really love some pike/muskie. If you hate them then keep your limit of them to eat, they're decent table fair.
Andy, to me that is akin to going to a restaurant, ordering a rare porterhouse and being served fried Spam. Ain't what I'm after.

New River Smallies

Case Plastics Pro Staff

LDUBS

Invasive species

Post by LDUBS »

SPAM = SPecial All purpose Meat.
Have Rod - Will Fish