15' Mirrocraft Modified V John Boat Conversion

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
Nussy

Post by Nussy »

Well got the wood deck all cut out and in place yesterday. Had my weight tester jumping around to make sure it was stable. :LOL2:
Wood Deck.JPG
Also sanded down the glue on the decks where the old carpet was. Waiting for my carpet from cabelas and trying to find aluminum hinges. Sounds like piano hinges are the way to go from what I've read/seen. Any advice? Also does anyone know if you can cut piano hinges?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nussy

Post by Nussy »

Here's another view of the framing:
Top View of Framing.JPG
Battery on Upper left runs rear trolling motor, livewell, and all lights.
Battery on Lower Right runs bowmount and bow depth finder.
Onboard charger on lower left for both batteries
Rod Locker in the center
Small Square compartments center left is a flip hatch so I can sit lower while driving then close it to have a flat deck to fish from.
Switches on upper right as shown below
Switches.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1436delta

Post by 1436delta »

NUSSY IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE COMING ALONG VERY WELL THAT BOAT LOOKS GREAT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK =D>

cathunter21

Post by cathunter21 »

I hope you dont mind me asking where will you put your feet when under power?

Doug

Post by Doug »

Progress is looking good, layout seems useful.

danmyersmn

Post by danmyersmn »

Nussy wrote:
Plan to use 3/4" plywood sealed with Thompson's water seal and Carpet from Cabelas. Still looking for ideas on where to get aluminum or stainless hinges and also any ideas on how to latch the hatch doors. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Have you looked at the carpet at Lowes? I don't recall Cabelas having a very competitive price on carpet?
LEFT is right! The reel handle is properly oriented when it is on the left side.

Nussy

Post by Nussy »

cathunter21 wrote:I hope you dont mind me asking where will you put your feet when under power?
I actually am going to have a flip up hatch right in front of the rear seat. If you look on page 2 you see the layout with "Flip up Footwell" I'll open it when I'm on big water and I'm using the gas motor. However most of my fishing is on an electric only lake so I'll be able sit high while running the rear trolling motor without issue.

I thought this would make sense So it would be easier to fish from the rear seat.

Nussy

Post by Nussy »

danmyersmn wrote:
Nussy wrote:
Plan to use 3/4" plywood sealed with Thompson's water seal and Carpet from Cabelas. Still looking for ideas on where to get aluminum or stainless hinges and also any ideas on how to latch the hatch doors. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Have you looked at the carpet at Lowes? I don't recall Cabelas having a very competitive price on carpet?
Actually I didn't look at Lowe's. The closest one is about 40 miles from me. I check a bunch locally but I thought Cabela's was priced well. 3' x 8' for $20. They had a samples in the store and the reviews online seamed good. I even got free shipping on it. Link below. I'll let you know what I think of it once I put it in.

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/temp ... hasJS=true

danmyersmn

Post by danmyersmn »

Nussy wrote:
danmyersmn wrote:
Nussy wrote:
Actually I didn't look at Lowe's. The closest one is about 40 miles from me. I check a bunch locally but I thought Cabela's was priced well. 3' x 8' for $20. They had a samples in the store and the reviews online seamed good. I even got free shipping on it. Link below. I'll let you know what I think of it once I put it in.

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/temp ... hasJS=true
Excellent then! I haven't looked much into it. The bargain cave at the Cabela's in my town has had a roll of carpet in it all summer. The price is nothing to be excited about.
LEFT is right! The reel handle is properly oriented when it is on the left side.

Nussy

Post by Nussy »

Well I got the carpeting started. The hard part of the carpeting is done, which is getting the center part of the deck with all the hatch frames done. It was a challenge because I'm trying to keep on piece of carpet with no seems the entire length of the boat and the deck, and the center deck is about 8 feet long and in 3 wood pieces. I also had some struggle with the spray adhesive I used to glue the carpet down. Let's just say I went through a few extra staples..... :lol: .

In the pics the front and rear decks are not cut or glued yet, just the hatch framing. Should get that and most of the hatches done this weekend. The carpet is Cabela's Deluxe Marine carpet. Shipped to me in a 8 foot roll. It seams like pretty decent stuff.
Carpeting Pic 1.JPG
Carpeting Hatch area 1.JPG

Nussy

Post by Nussy »

Well I pretty much got the boat done. Got everything carpeted and the hatches installed, put the bow mount trolling motor and fish finder on. Put the batteries back in the boat. Installed the lights. About the only thing left are the vinyl numbers and decals and put the rear motors(Johnson 25 HP and Motorguide Varimax 55lb) on.

I must say it was a lot of fun. Already trying to talk the wife into letting me get another project boat, since this was supposed to be my winter project and it's still fall. Only problem is I don't have anywhere to store another one.

This site was a lot of help and I want to thank all that provided input and ideas!!!!! =D>

Now hopefully I can get it out before it gets too cold up here in Wisconsin.
Finished Side 1.JPG
Finished Rear Closed.JPG
Finished Rear Open.JPG
Finished Back Hatches.JPG
Here's a corner piece that was fabbed to be be able to install fishing lights and a trolling plug.
Corner Bracket.JPG
Here's a look at how the guy before me reinforced the transom. It's really strong.
Transom.JPG
Hope you like it.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

looks freaking sweet man! great job!

if you get a chance, will you take some close ups of your hatches and hinges, etc? I'm trying to get a good feel for how to do it in a similar fashion, and itd really help me out

by the way, I hope youre taking that thing out before the spring..

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings »

Great looking mod! =D> 8)
Image1652VT RoughneckImageCarrot Stix LTX

danmyersmn

Post by danmyersmn »

Gratz!! That is going to be one fun fishing rig!!!!

Doug

Post by Doug »

Great job =D> . Now go out and fish and enjoy the fruits of your labor :D .