15' Mirrocraft Modified V John Boat Conversion

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
Nussy

Post by Nussy »

dyeguy1212 wrote:looks freaking sweet man! great job!

if you get a chance, will you take some close ups of your hatches and hinges, etc? I'm trying to get a good feel for how to do it in a similar fashion, and itd really help me out

by the way, I hope youre taking that thing out before the spring..
Will do when I get back home(on the road for a few days). I decided to go with piano hinges and cut them to length. I believe they were 1.5": wide. With 3/4 on each side. Decided against stainless as 1 hinge was the same price as all the hinges. They seam to work ok and are hidden. Also used contact cement to attach the carpet. Had to trim the hatch lids down about 1/4 inch to fit....and they're pretty snug, but I did 1 to test. Stay tuned for close up pics later this week.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

thanks, I appreciate it

Nussy

Post by Nussy »

dyeguy1212 wrote:looks freaking sweet man! great job!

if you get a chance, will you take some close ups of your hatches and hinges, etc? I'm trying to get a good feel for how to do it in a similar fashion, and itd really help me out

by the way, I hope youre taking that thing out before the spring..
Here's some more pics of the hatches and hinges. Hope it helps.
Hatch 1.JPG
Hinge 1.JPG
What I liked about the piano hinges was then were well hidden and I could have them extend the full length of the doors if I wanted.
HInge Closed.JPG

A few other things I learned along the way that seam to work.

1. I used DAP contact cement which worked OK. What I did was brush it on the wood and carpet an let it tack up.(I did try some spray on adhesive but it didn't seam to work as well) Once it was tacky I would set the wood on the carpet and take a rolling pin(thanks to another forum) and roll it out so that it was good and flat. Then I flipped it back over and added more contact cement to the board edge and carpet, dousing it really good. Waited a few more minutes then stapled it down.
2. I didn't trim the bottom of the hatch until after everything was stapled. Then I trimmed off the excess so that the bottom of each hatch looked uniform.
3. I didn't precut the underside corner. What i did was once I got the board glued to the the carpet I would fold the carpet over the corners so they overlapped and make one cut from the corner of the board toward the center. This allowed the carpet to be cut perfectly so that the each edge matched up ...regardless of if I was at a perfect 45 Degree Angle or not.
4. I used a utility Knife but make sure to be constantly changing your blades. This made a huge impact on the quality of the cut and how much fraying the carpet had.
5. I used piano hinged I bought at the local HW store. I bought the longest ones and cut them to the length I needed, which saves some $$$. Turn 1 30" in a 14" and 16" etc.
6. Make sure to use enough Glue. I found a couple spot where there are some bubles in transition between my wood frame and the aluminum deck. They aren't big deals but if I would have had more glue I think I would have been fine.
7. Sometimes I had to apply two coats of contact cement. If it's not sticky, add more. I even had put 3 coats of Thompson Water seal on the wood and in certain areas the contact cement soaked in a lot.

Good luck, I look forward to the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings »

Looks good! The piano hinges will add more rigidity along the length of the hatch, and help prevent possible warpage of the board. Good tips also on always using a sharp blade to cut the carpet, and great tip (#3) on how to trim the corner folds of the carpet! Glad you liked the rolling pin trick :)
Image1652VT RoughneckImageCarrot Stix LTX

Nussy

Post by Nussy »

Thanks Waterwings that was a great tip.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Thanks nussy the pics cleared things up for me. Again, great job!

jsharp

Post by jsharp »

man looks good can you post some pics of the front of the boat i have a mod v and trying to figure out how to build the front like you have yours so i can put a bow mount trolling motor on it thanks alot
1986 lowe 14 foot jon boat

Nussy

Post by Nussy »

jsharp wrote:man looks good can you post some pics of the front of the boat i have a mod v and trying to figure out how to build the front like you have yours so i can put a bow mount trolling motor on it thanks alot
I don't know if pics will help now that everything is carpeted, because I carpeted that whole area. Here's a zoom of another pic I have before carpeting that shows that area.
Nose Area.JPG
It was this way when I bough the boat. It looks like the guy used 3 pieces of aluminum to fill it in. Piece one fills in the top of the V and sits on the gunwalles and is Riveted into the Gunwalls. It also has a bend on the end that faces the rear of the boat that is used to connect to pieces 2 and 3. Pieces 2 and 3 are simply rectangular aluminum that is rivited to Piece 1 on the top and to the deck on the bottom with 1 simple bend as well. Piece one is also supported by what looks like a 2x6. The trolling motor is bolted through the aluminum and the 2x6.....and it's rock solid. The aluminum this guy used is pretty thick and heavy....not sure what gauge, however. The whole attachment makes a nice cubby hole and has allowed for the installation of lights and sockets in the face of it not to mention a good place to put your foot control or some speakers.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jsharp

Post by jsharp »

thanks i could not tellm uch from that pic but i think i get the idea
1986 lowe 14 foot jon boat

Nick Jones

Post by Nick Jones »

Back to the SteelFlex: Did you use two coats or just one? Also, do you have to use a self etching primer for the steelflex. i know you have to in order for paint to stick to aluminum but i didn't know if the same went for the steelflex.

Nussy

Post by Nussy »

Nick Jones wrote:Back to the SteelFlex: Did you use two coats or just one? Also, do you have to use a self etching primer for the steelflex. i know you have to in order for paint to stick to aluminum but i didn't know if the same went for the steelflex.
I used the 2000 version which has teflon in it. According to Jerry at Fasco, you shouldn't do two coats because it may have trouble adhering to itself on the 2nd quote.. He also told me priming wasn't necessary just scuff it up good with 60-80 grit(yeah rough stuff). I have to agree with that recommendation. It adheres really well. My recommendation is put it on thick because it will self level. It also looks much better and goes on much easier and sets up faster if it's thicker. I was worried I wouldn't have enough but, I bought a gallon and didn't use it all I probably have 2-3 cups left over.

If I had to do it again I would actually buy the cheaper version of the Steelflex. I thought the 2000 might look better but I doubt it does. It has a pebble like texture and I think with the teflon it might run/sag a bit more. Make sure to do it when it's 75 degrees or warmer. I live in WI and I did it in a heater garage. I don't think it was hot enough and it sagged an a few spot. If it's warmer it will set faster. If you plan to have a two tone, I would try to just run the steelflex to the waterline and paint above that. I wish I wouldn't have brought the Steelflex up so high on my boat, because the paint looks much better than the steelflex......but the steelflex was more about making sure the boat was sealed rather than the look.

rusmir

Post by rusmir »

nice work .. i like the little accesories u did .. like the switches and the little extras very nice ..

Nussy

Post by Nussy »

Thanks, I so much fun doing it, I'm doing another one now.

Nick Jones

Post by Nick Jones »

did you sell this one?

Nussy

Post by Nussy »

No, I still have this one. I just couldn't pass up the deal($550) on the new one I'm currently working on. I live on a small 50 acre lake electric only and the Mirro should be perfect for fishing on it. I can just pull the 25 Johnson off when I'm fishing at home The only problem is it's a little small for big water like Lake Michigan which is about 1/2 from me. The Sea Nymph would be better for that. Also with 2 small boys I'm a little concern the Mirro might not be deep enough. I have to sell one come spring, just not sure which one yet. Given the amount of time I have invested in the new one, it might be hard to let it go.