My New 1448 Flat Bottom Project.

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
mangelcc

My New 16' Flat Bottom Project.

Post by mangelcc »

I also thought about that. I have about 3Ft by 4 ft to work with.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

I'm all hyped up about working on this boat and have gotten almost all of my materials to do it.The guy that I bought it from is having trouble with getting the trailer title.I almost started today on it,but decided to wait until I have all of the paperwork first.What a hastle.
"Panfish Slayer" and the occasional "Green Carp"
My 14' Flat Bottom Project!

Sea Nymph Striper CC-191 (Reborn)

midnight_f150

Post by midnight_f150 »

azslabber wrote:I'm all hyped up about working on this boat and have gotten almost all of my materials to do it.The guy that I bought it from is having trouble with getting the trailer title.I almost started today on it,but decided to wait until I have all of the paperwork first.What a hastle.
azslabber I guess I can watch you on both tinboat.net and crappie.com now.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Yes you can F-150.It all begins on Saturday.I got all of my paperwork and am ready to get on this thing.Lots of pics starting Saturday.I can't wait.

midnight_f150

Post by midnight_f150 »

azslabber wrote:Yes you can F-150.It all begins on Saturday.I got all of my paperwork and am ready to get on this thing.Lots of pics starting Saturday.I can't wait.
am ready to see it.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

I'm going to bed early tonight to get started on the boat tomorrow morning.My brother and a friend are going to tear it totally down and start sanding it,inside and out.I'll be working on the trailer.I'll be sure to get lots of pics.I want to ask a couple of things.Does anyone know of a cheaper place to get 4.80 x 12B wheels and tires for the trailer?It has the 4.80 x 8B on it right now.In Arizona there is a lot of driving to get to a lake.I can't find them anywhere here.Thanks

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Here they are.I finally got to get on the boat this morning.Lots more to do then I thought.I'm kinda lucky I guess.There is an aluminum guy right in the next building and he came in to check it out.I'm going to show some pics of what I found on the bottom of the boat.I got it gutted,cleaned it out with a water hose and scotch brite pad.Got the old wooden deck torn out.Must have lost at least 75 pounds.After getting the deck torn out and seeing what was under it,I have changed my mind about doing things.I'm open for suggestions.As for now,just a good sand and paint for both the trailer and boat,then the mods to follow.I got a case of the lighter green Camo Rustoleum spray cans and some self etching primer in Rustoleum also.I don't think that I'll be using it for a while though,lol.Here's the beginning.Hope you enjoy the show.Ha.
Last edited by SaltyBuckster on 03 Dec 2010, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Here's a pile.lol
In the front right on the center rib going back it looks like it was run into a rock.Looks to me like someone tried to use a torch to weld it,it's a real mess.Tomorrow morning I am going to dolly inside the rib from the insiide with a dolly on a stick,check for some other places,like the front hook that looks like it was welded by the same guy.I'm going to get it straightened out and cleaned up so the the aluminum welder can do his thing.I was'nt thinking that I had to do anything like this,but,it is what it is.I'll be getting pics of everything that gets done tomorrow.The show will go on,lol.It is a true 1648,lol.

DaveInGA

Post by DaveInGA »

Don't get discouraged by the dings/dents/tears. Even though it's a pain, you can get it repaired and have a very nice boat in the end. A 1648 is definitely a boat worth the time to fix it. I'd love to have one of those as an electric lake boat myself.

I can't tell what all you did on the trailer. Do you have pics?
Dave In Georgia
My Bass Tracker Tournament V-17 Restoration/Mod: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=15343

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

I have'nt done anything to anything yet,lol.Just a teardown.The trailer is pretty sound.It had a new set of tail lights and a new wiring harness put into it.The bearings were all good.I'm going to put a new set of bunks and carpet them,paint the trailer and some new rollers in the middle.I put a couple pieces of 1/4 angle at the jack in the front and welded them on to hold it tighter.The trailer was to skinny for the new jack that they had put on.That's fixed.All of the add ons were new.Just 4 little tears on the bottom of the boat that will be aluminum welded tomorrow.Then I'll be at it again.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Was a kinda slooow day working on the boat today.Welded some angle on the trailer to let the jack swing back and lock while trailering.Put in some new hardware to make it secure.Works out perfectly.
Used some 1/4" angle to make the tongue wider and let the jack swing back and lock while trailering.
The center rib was crushed flat.I metal finished it back to where it looked pretty original again.Right behind that was a place that someone had used a torch to weld a little tear.I ground that down and the aluminum welding guy will be there Friday to help me out with a couple of places.When he gets done welding the tears I'm going to repaint the whole inside.Minus the top gunnel,so that I can flip it on it's top again and work on the outside and bottom this weekend.More pics on Friday night.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Full day on the boat today.Outside is all prepped,starting working on the inside.Lots and lots of old carpet glue to deal with on the sides and the benches.Used a wire wheel to take it off then sanded everything inside and out with a DA sander with 150 grit.I wire wheeled all the ribs inside to get anything out of the ribs that was stuck in there.Looks pretty sweet now.ONE coat of paint on the whole boat.Pretty easy sanding.Especially for a 1977 boat in Arizona.
Outside sanded down ready for primer
Shows all the carpet glue inside
Front end is DONE
Killer handtied Jig to break up the monotany,lol.
Another full day tomorrow sanding the rest of the inside.Waiting on my Lab Metal to get it ready to primer.Not till next weekend.I wanted to have the inside done by Sunday,but you all know how that goes.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Worked on the boat for about 3 hours today.I will never put treated plywood in an aluminum boat again after what I saw from this one.That old deck that they had on the front of this thing,when I tore it out and started sanding it was all rusted in front of the rib where they had the wood against it.The whole way across the front of the boat.Even with a wire wheel I could'nt get to clean metal..Of course there are rivets across the same rib coming in from the bottom.I was wondering why they had some kind of putty on all of them rivets,I know now.It's funny how you can see a little story behind all of the things that you find when fixing up an old anything,lol.Got some self etching primer on some of it today.
Cleared the deck of tools and stripped and primed the inside edge around the deck area.I'm thinking of just putting a piece of well sealed and carpetted 1/2" plywood in that area and putting a 3/4" pedestal base in it to the rear of the deck.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

The front half is about there.Time for the center and back tomorrow.I was planning on having the inside painted this weekend,primered is my new goal.Wait until you see that rear bench !!lol.I'm scared just thinking of it.You'll all see.

Sgt. Stiglitz

Post by Sgt. Stiglitz »

I got a nice 6HP Johnson sitting in my garage, I upgraded to a Tahtsu/Nissan 8HP.............I'm just down the road from you. I got the Nissan in Scottsdale yesterday for $550.00......

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=15880