1/26/09 Susky report

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bAcKpAiN

Reaction score
Me and my dad made our way this afternoon for a few hours of fishing at brunner's island. The water was crystal clear and very low. I managed a small LM bass as well as a small SM bass ( both around the 12" mark ) and my dad landed two small catfish on his minnows. I saw a ton of what looked like shad or something swimming around all over, and saw a musky swim past me about 5 feet away from my waders. All in all it was a nice day out but it didn't seem like anyone was doing very well in the catching department while we were there.

Too bad the fish weren't cooperating, but atleast you had a nice outing with your pop. I have not fished with my Dad for atleast 5 years....he does not even get a license anymore :(

We didn't get there till lunch time, and started at the fence and fished our way downstream.

bAcKpAiN said:
Me and my dad made our way this afternoon for a few hours of fishing at brunner's island. The water was crystal clear and very low. I managed a small LM bass as well as a small SM bass ( both around the 12" mark ) and my dad landed two small catfish on his minnows. I saw a ton of what looked like shad or something swimming around all over, and saw a musky swim past me about 5 feet away from my waders. All in all it was a nice day out but it didn't seem like anyone was doing very well in the catching department while we were there.
I continue to hear.reports of very limited catching out there recently. I think that area is just getting way to pressured, and people that are beating it up 2, or 3 times a week are only contributing to the added presurre. Plus there is only so many fish in that stretch to catch. Anyway nice report. Time with the oldman is always worth it.

I think you are right, there is an almost constant amount of people fishing the area so pressure is really high. We could have done better had we really been able to work the area. I think the key now in that area is finding some holes where the fish are stacking up. The water was very shallow and very clear. I think across the mouth of the outlet was no more than 2 to 2 1/2' deep. The fish we caught were in a slower moving area a little ways off where it seemed to get to about 3 to 4' deep.

We were very limited in our mobility, my dad doesn't take a step in water and I have a very bad back so I don't venture more than a few feet from the bank myself in current. I think with the ability to wade out and find some deeper water and work it you would do better. It was more a day out with dad than anything else. We had a blast. Stopped off at Bass Pro Shops in Harrisburg on our way over and more or less just had a day out. What I found interesting was the effect that discharge has on the whole of the river in the area. North of there the river was solid ice, but below TMI it was open water.