12/24 volt switchable trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Rider

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been covered, but I came across a deal in a garage sale. It is a 56 lb thrust bow mount troller with foot control. It is 12 volt or 24 volt switchable which is where my question stems from. I don't see many of these and wondered if there was a reason for it? Is the switchable design flawed? And what is the purpose of being switchable? Can you only get the full thrust if it is wired 24 volt? Hate to seem clueless but I pretty much am on this topic. Any help is appreciated.

If its a motorguide I've got the same

It's switchabe so the user can decide if they want to run one battery or two. 12v deff lacks the torque after you get used to running a 24v system

Mines been great, if you can get a deal jump on it. It will dump an unsuspecting passanger off the side on #5 easily

Loggerhead Mike said:
It will dump an unsuspecting passanger off the side on #5 easily

thats great.. i like to catch my buddies off guard with my 36 volt when there talking smack.. They normally settle down after that :)

Thanks for the help. I got it on the boat yesterday and started playing with it. It isn't installed yet but got to wire it up temporarily to see what it would do and how it all worked out. When I finally get the garage cleaned, and Christams out of my hair I finally got the go ahead to overhaul the boat so I will see how she fasastens down later. THen how well it will work later on after that. Thanks again.

Well after sitting here at my desk I have been doing some thinking. I originally didn't have a trolling motor on my tin rig. So now that I have this 24 volt troller does that mean I will have to have 3 batteries? Or is it possible to run two batteries? I would like to keep my boat light as it is a jet sled, so hence the stupid question. I mean I don't plan on using the trolling motor a whole lot so other then being impossible to run a 12/24 volt system on a boat with just 2 batteries I really don't need the third. Again any help is appreciated and any constructive criticism as well. I am sure to some this is a completely idiotic question.

since the TM is either 12 or 24v, just go 12v, and would need only one TM batt.

Yeah that was my original idea as well. Just one more question though... Will it still have the full thrust power? I mean I probably don't need the full 56 pound thrust but I would like as much power as I can get. Thanks again with the help.

I have a 50lb on my tracker, and it's a 12v system. I would think that you would just have less battery life on the 12v, not decreased thrust. Not sure though

Latest posts