12 Ft Star Craft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cgraci

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Brand new to this forum and found some great info thus far. Here is where I am needing your guidance please. I have recently picked up this 12 footer and am considering removing the middle bench. I would like to possibly put a floor in but not really elevated. I will be using this boat 80% of the time in the back bays of NJ floundering and crabbing with my 8 and 9 year olds. I am also curious on how to repair the seats. As you can see the front and rear are where the foam is but it coming away from the bench. I want to redo these. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the guidance. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 974
I say remove the center bench and floor it, then take the foam out from under the seats. Put storage under the seats then, and just foam under the floor you put in.

Thanks for the reply. I have read mixed reviews with removing the middle and that makes the boat weak. I thought a 12 footer it would be okay. I would want to go to the first slot in the bottom so not exactly sure what I will use to support the floor. As for foam what could I use that will fit in that so small area? Some type of spray? I have read 1/2 inch plywood painted with epoxy. Open to other ideas as well. I like the idea do storage under type seats if I can get enough foam into the floor.

I had this exact boat. It's rated for a 10hp motor, but I ran a 15. I hated that middle bench, but that boat was so flimsy that I never considered removing it. It's conceivable that you'd be safe if you weren't running a 10 or 15hp. I was getting 24mph, so I needed the stability. Here's a few pics in case you were looking for ideas.

YTjrAB2.jpg

ssFXtpW.jpg

I have a 14 foot version. I dont think i would take the seats out. I took mine out to replace with cedar and I had to pry it back to get back to shape.

Took the front seat out and removed the tin holding the foam. Wondering how I will remount those in the new with the foam in there? Also he is a video I took I filled the boat with water and found a very small drip coming from one area that appears they did a patch to. Any ideas on the fix would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 814
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 814

Latest posts