12' Jon Boat Conversion - About to Start - seeking thoughts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT12

Reaction score
I've had a 12' Tracker for a couple years and just got a B&S 5hp for it. I'm drafting plans to cut out the benches, add a floor, then a battery/seat box in the rear and the front. I've read on here not to use Pressure Treated lumber for a few different reasons. I was thinking use lighter (pine) 2x4's in upright positions lengthwise and using a bit heavier plywood as the deck. Any suggestions on the types of lumber and dimensions, and carpet suggestions for covering the plywood deck would be greatly appreciated. Once the plans are finalized and I start, I'll take pic's along the way and get things posted here, too. Thanks.

Hi JT - :WELCOME:

These are a few recommendations or materials that I've read about on here that I would also recommend:

Carpet Adhesive: Henrys 263 https://www.wwhenry.com/content.aspx?id=415&View=Product&cID=93&pID=84

Carpet (too many people to list)... I used these guys and just bought the basic carpet (I was on a budget) it arrived in 2 days. They will send you samples if you want too (free) https://www.boatcarpetcentral.com/ If you're fishing for cats you may want something like vinyl that cleans easier. Slimey carpet is nasty :)

Decking: Exterior grade plywood for floors with minimum 3 coats of spar urethane on it. The henrys 263 will stick to the Spar (it's been tested here). I used 1/2 inch ply (15/32 inch). Aluminum plate can be used for decking too. It's expensive, but you will never have to replace it.

Supports/Bracing: Aluminum angle is lighter than wood as far as supports go, but it is more expensive. Some guys use pine 2X2s and some use 2X4s. Hit them with spar urethane too. Rivets and Aluminum are easy to work with though and won't rot on you.

Sealant: 3M 5200 Coat all hardware with it that's in contact with hull. Also good for sealing rivets and seams.

Hardware: Go stainless in my opinion and coat it with 3M 5200. Use nylock nuts. Some of my original hardware was aluminum, but in my opinion is was weak - I could snap off the screws and bolts turning by hand.

Floatation Foam is required by law - some folks like to go without it. I have it.

Remember that anything you add to the boat adds weight to the boat. Decking, bracing and carpet can add up the pounds quick.

Have fun and be sure to post your progress!

I have a 76 Ouachita 1236 that I have done a few things to, LED green lights for night fishing, LED nav lights, switch box. Small things but they do improve useage. I am thinging decks, marine grade carpet and a removeable bow extension for when we go to the coast crabbing but I am not so sure I am gutsy enough to start chopping the midship seat out of it. I did put some coated plywood down for a deck which makes it easier to stand and move around on. The data plate says three people max and 960 pounds total but that seems a bit much. I still wanta get a 1548 but moneys tight right now so we got what we got for now. I hope your project works out for you.