12' MonArk - Finished w/ Pics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyno10

Reaction score
I decided to upgrade from my 10' Ouachita and found this 12' MonArk for 80$. However it doesnt have a title, and it does have a HIN, and it has a small crack and a hole that needs to be repaired. The old man I bought it from said he had owned it and was his pond boat for well over 30 years. Anyways, last year I rushed through my 10' to get it ready to fish and fished the crap out of it. However with this boat there are a few modifications that will be needed!

There are a few things that will doing.

1- Fix Crack/Hole/Any leaks
2- Repaint
3- Front Casting deck w/ trolling motor mount
4- extend rear bench
5- nav lights

I Sanded down both sides of where the crack & hole were and JB welded it yesterday. It was my first time using that stuff and I hope I did it correctly. Equal parts, let cure for 24 hours. I have read that people say sometime it will need to cure for 48-72 hours.

I would like to paint the boat a nice light colored yellow. Like how they paint the flats boats. So if I can find a similar color for cheap, that is what I will do.

Thanks for the color name. Progress has been zilch due to great fishing conditions and a redfish tournament. Now that it is over I will start working on the boat again. I removed the transom since the PO had a Pressure Treated wood transom [-X . After removing it im debating on if this boat can be saved or not! :(

Here is a picture of it, could yal tell me some options on what to do about this!

Well I cleaned it up a good bit and then decided to JB weld basically the whole area where the PT wood sat.

Cleaned up (and cleaned up more after this pic) - then prepped.

After JB Weld

I am sure this is not a recommended remedy to fix this, but this is a budget boat and had JB weld already so I figured I might as well give it a shot.

-cgaengineer you are probably right, if i have to do something like that again i may go that route, however i do like how the transom turned out.

i finished the transom, put a couple of coats of Thompsons Water Sealant on an put put 5200 on the bolts.

I am about to take it out and see how the 68' 6hp evinrude runs on it. The transom on this boat is 2" higher than my 10'er which i think will be good, the engine hung a little to low on the 10'er on my opinion. I will soon find out if i fixed all the leaks, holes, and sealed the bolt holes good!

Thanks chevyrulz! The 6hp ran great on it. It sat at just the right height as well. On my old 10' it would spray water in the boat when running and on the "new" 12' monark it does not at all! I finally painted the outside and currently trying to figure out how I should extend the front bench, so I have a place to put the gas tank.

This is a quick paint job I did of what I intend to do with the boat. I know what people say about decking a small boat, however I had the same deck on my 10'er and felt comfortable and this boat is much more stable. I just havent figure out how I should extend the rear bench? Any opinions out there?

Well I Managed to get the front deck cut, and the hatch cut and supported. I hope that I can get around to carpeting the deck and hatch today and start on the rear bench! I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Both decks are cut, sealed, and carpeted and the boat is completely painted. Next thing is to build the trolling motor mount. Here are some pictures as it is now.

There are still a few minor things to add, which are navigation lights and the bow trolling motor mount. Should have everything 100% finished by next weekend.