1236 Jon Mod. HELP!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St.Johnsriver

Reaction score
This is my first time modifying a Jon boat and I ve been reading and looking at this site for a while now and I ve decided to re do mine. I do have to say there are some talented people on this website some of these Jon Boats have blown me away, they are awesome. I've got some pictures below with what i ve got to work with and a skecth that I drew with what I want to accomplish. I'm sure as I go I'll probably change a lot around but its a good layout to work with. I do have some small cracks in the bottom of the boat I plan to seal with 3M marine sealent 5200. I've heard some pretty good things about this stuff. I'm in the process of sanding down the boat right now and getting it ready to paint. Does anyone know some good marine paint to use? Like I said I'm new at all of this so I'm not sure how its going to turn out so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF0039.JPG
    DSCF0039.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 2,706
  • DSCF0040.JPG
    DSCF0040.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 2,706
  • DSCF0041.JPG
    DSCF0041.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 2,706
  • DSCF0046.JPG
    DSCF0046.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 2,706
Well It's been a work in progress but I finally got the boat painted. This nice weather has really kicked me into 5th gear to get this boat done. I decided to use an epoxy primer for the main color I think it came out real nice. My boss who is building an airplane had some paint left over and said I could have it. :lol: Hopefully tmw I can start constructing the inside of the boat and get out on the water soon! :D

Attachments

• DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 2,476
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 2,476
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 2,476
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 2,476
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 2,476
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 2,476
I'm down on florence cove, South of the Shands bridge. The weather has been great I cant wait to get out there and catch some fish.

I'm going to be going to home depot in the next day or so, does anyone have any preference on what wood to use for the floor? I'm thinking pressure treated is to heavy and marine ply is to expensive. If I just bought some regular plywood and waterproofed it would that be ok? Also what size? Not sure what a good thickness would be. Any help would be appreciated I'm kind of new to all of this.

I used Advantech (sp?), its subfloor (not OSB) plywood but will with stand alot of water. Its all we use building house these days. I'v seen pooling water on it for a weekend with no effects(it doesn't swell). I used it for everything including decking,floor and vertical supports.

I used 15/16th exterior plywood from HD. I put 3 coats of Minwax helmsman spar urethane from a spray can on it. Thats what just about everyone on here does. Be sure to coat all sides especially the edges, then again after any more cuts or screw holes are made. Then you can carpet it, paint it, or cover it with some sort of bedliner material.

Some use 3/4 ply but I think its too heavy. 1/4 seems too flimsy and wont hold shape well, It seems to curl up on me.

Most on here claim that pressure treated has some sort of material that will corrode aluminum. There is a whole thread about it. There is pressure treated that will not corrode alum but You will have to review that thread to find out.

I would just go with the 15/32nds or 1/2 inch exterior and coat it good 3 times with spar urethane.

The general consesus on here is that Marine Plywood is waaay overpriced and a waste of money!

I put styrofoam boards between the ribs on my boat to help support the floor. Its super light and hold/distributes the weight really good. Much better than putting some sort of heavy board between the ribs to support the floor so it wont sag when you stand betweed the ribs. I messed up and used exerior styrofoam, I should have used the pink "closed Cell" foam. It does not absorb water. The foam does 3 things, It keeps the boat quiet, supports the wood floor and will provide floatation in the event your boat takes on water , as long as your wood floor is secured down, if not it will all just float away. Here is a link to what I did.https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17299

Thanks Fowl.

I ended up doing some work on the boat today I added the Pink closed cell styrofoam that stuff seems heavy duty. I started framing out the deck supports also. This is where I become a noob. Does anyone have any pics of there mod of extending high decking? I want to extend the front out about another foot and extend off my rear bench about another foot.

Froggy I think your right I should keep the deck as low as possible. I'm only going to extend the front out a foot or so for a place to put my batteries and my switch panel. I think I may cut a square in the exisiting front deck and put a hinge compartment there for life vest and anchor storage instead.

I keep hearing about GIANT catfish in one of those coves just south of the Shands bridge on the east side of the river. Maybe I will come down there and check it out in the near future, then head across the river to the Outback Crab Shack @ 9 mile Marina for lunch and a beer.

Great paint job.

There are some nice ones in there, Last year I pulled a 38 pounder out of there. Better bring your wallet with you seems like those prices go up and up every year over there at outback.