1248 Weldbilt Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr Nip,
Here in Iowa, the temps turned to below 20 all week and by the time turkey day rolled around, the ice was forming on the big lake already.... so unfortunately we couldnt. But i did take it to my dads place to store for the winter and he and all his retired fishing buddies (who made fun of me when i told them last summer what i was going to do with a 12 foot boat), absolutely loved it. 2 of them are going to downsize thier boats after seeing mine. They are like in their mid 70's.. they had no idea that 12 foot jons could be so wide!! I know of them already ordered a 14 mod v...

I will report back in the Spring... so, when are you starting your project? im excited to see it

Yeah here in Oklahoma it has been in the 20's down to the single digits for a week now. Snow galore. I'll be starting mine some time in the 1st quarter of next year. I have already begun ordering parts for livewell but that is it so far. Motor will be ordered probably so time in March.

Every time I look at your build I kick myself in the arse. I was going to go the exact route as you, 12' with remote steering. I psyched myself out though because this is my 1st build and didn't want to invest alot of money for it not to work. That and I was already in the hot seat with my wife after the Craigslist trailer mishap that cost me around $1000 in the red when it was all said and done. I'll just have to live with should of, could of but didn't I guess! lol

Well dont feel too bad... i didnt realize the Weld-Craft had higher sides than the Weldbilt.. not that the 21 inch sides on my boat arent sufficient, but i would may have opted for the Weld-Craft had i known....

You know, you can run your boat for a year or two and then tear out that middle seat and do the steering... alot of folks have done torn out those middle seats.... your not out nothing!

Yeah I have to go back to Arkansas to get my motor and I'll probably try to swing by weldcraft to see if they could hook me up with a middle rib in the event I ever want to take the livewell out.

Well it is between the 30 HP Tohatsu w/ power tilt and trim or 30 HP Evinrude w/ power tilt and trim. Not much difference between the two in weight. The Tohatsu weighs 181.9 lbs and the Evinrude weighs 182 lbs. I would love to have the 2 stroke but don't know if I want to pay the $600 or so extra for the Evinrude. I really don't know if I need the power tilt and trim either. People say it is worth the extra money but I don't know. I would just hate to not have it and wish I did. Without it I could shave around 20 lbs off the weight of the motor. Also still entertaining the 25 HP idea. If I go that route then maybe the Suzuki would be out in time for when I am ready to purchase a motor in a couple months.

Your boat looks great! Very cool. I have a question about the steering you installed, how flexible is the cable? I am putting a CC in my 16' and trying to figure out how I am going to rout my cable.

Thanks

Man that boat looks sweet bud, I really like that removable floor over your fuel tanks. Nice work!

rscottp
The steering cable isnt too flexible.. if you go back a few pages you can see the turn i made with it in the back of the boat. You couldnt bend it around say a coffee can.. that would be too tight....

Nip... A 30HP!!! WOW thats alot of power for the boat.... i watched some youtube videos of 1248 boats with 15hp and 25hp motors... the 15hp pushes the boat about 25 mph with 2 people and the 25hp pushed over 30mph with 2 people... a 35hp you will fly.

The tilt trim would be nice for shallow water... and since the 4 strokes are so heavy it will help you raise the motor. However, you might look into the tilt trim assist motors??? i dont know what they are called, but dads 25hp 4stroke Suzuki has it. Basically its like a hydrolic or gas cylnder that makes very easy to manually tilt the motor up and down...it makes his 160lb motor easy to tilt.. HOWEVER... if you are going to add steering in the future, the power tilt is the way to go so you can tilt it from the drivers seat!!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336516#p336516 said:
mfu5324 » 14 Dec 2013, 10:54[/url]"]rscottp
The steering cable isnt too flexible.. if you go back a few pages you can see the turn i made with it in the back of the boat. You couldnt bend it around say a coffee can.. that would be too tight....

Thanks, I was thinking more of the curve of a basketball. I just need to get my hands on a one that isn't attached so that I can see for myself.

Dad got me a pair of boat seats for Christmas along with the extension poles. They are black and grey and match the boat nicely. Now I just need to install the fish finder, drivers cooler seat and should be good to go.....

Attachments

• 1248 BoatSeats.jpg
    1248 BoatSeats.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 1,122
  • 1248BoatSeats2.jpg
    1248BoatSeats2.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 1,122
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334389#p334389 said:
mfu5324 » 13 Nov 2013, 16:04[/url]"]Ben,,,

I hope your wrong..... my big concern is that grey rubber will get hot hot hot! Others who have used says it doesnt, but they may be just saying that cause they want to feel good about it. I will let everyone know next summer.... if its too hot, i will jerk it out next fall and go with the EVA Foam mats... a lighter grey, or lighter color for sure..

Did you find it too hot or not? I am hesitating to do mine this way because of the color. I might go with the 2x2 gray, square ones instead.

32 degrees and we just got 2 inches of snow last nite in IOWA!!!! ice still on the lake..... sorry cant help you out yet. Personally, i really think those 2x2 ft eva mats that you can get in any color and various thickness may be better. Tho i havnt tried the Sears stuff yet.... those 2x2 mats are thicks (stronger), would be much easier to lay/cut in the boat. I was concerned about the seams is why i never went that route... but after laying the sears stuff, the seams are not noticable at all...... My dad is using the 2x2 in his boat that we will be installing next month......

Let me know which route you go.. and please post pics if you use the 2x2 matts.....

You can buy them in multiple sizes.... https://www.greatmats.com/foam-flooring.php

Use the DAP Contact cement to glue those babies down...(i posted a pic of it in my thread). They wont move!

A few updates... the ice has finally melted here in Iowa. Dad had a mechanic hook up the electronics to the motor (which i ordered last fall from ebay and never started it)...and on the first crank it fired up and ran great.....

I also completed the drivers seat using a 34 qt igloo marine cooloer and bought some PVC backed vinyl from Walmart for $3 and cushion fro $6. I then cut a 1/4 inch plywood to the size of the cooler lid, stapled the vinyl over the cushion and mounted the plywood cushion to the cooler lid using u bolts. (pic below)

Weather permitting, we are going to take the boat on its maiden voyage Tuesday so i will update you all on how it ran (speed, stability etc)

Attachments

• Boat Cooloer SEat.jpg
    Boat Cooloer SEat.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 1,062

Latest posts