12ft V-Hull Bluefin.. NEED HELPFUL HINTS on Modifications

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowe_252Outdoors

Reaction score
IMG_20130603_183535_223.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130531_183734_334.jpg
    IMG_20130531_183734_334.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 943
  • IMG_20130531_184537_361.jpg
    IMG_20130531_184537_361.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 943
  • IMG_20130603_183658_905.jpg
    IMG_20130603_183658_905.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 943
I think the best thing to do is visit: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156 and work your way through all the builds. I picked up a little something from almost all of them. What I did to keep track of them is copied the entire list of links to a Word document and then as I visited each build I would highlight the respective link in the Word doc so I wouldn't keep going back to the same one.

In addition, I check the site every day and click on the most updated links (the ones at the top of the forum) to see what others are currently doing.

Get a budget and try to stick to it for your sanity and your significant other's happiness! However, you won't stick to it.

I bought much of my goodies online from eBay and Walmart. Also got some stuff at Academy. Bass Pro shops is probably a great place as well but ours is about 60 miles away.

Having the right tools will help a lot as well. I only have a jigsaw, circular saw, cordless drill, and power drill, but much of what you will be doing can be done with those.

Good luck!

Cool boat! I'm a first time poster to this site but I've picked up a lot from reading.

My first major project was carpeting and I used this as a guideline https://www.tinboats.net/projects/4-installing-boat-carpet. I've installed a lot of stuff on my rig since (rod holders, cleats, lights, etc) but I'm most proud of the carpet job. My keys on carpeting: buy construction paper and masking tape to make a template; place and draw the template in the back of the carpet with grey marker, and cut carefully. It will be tedious but rewarding if you do it right.

The comment on correct tools is absolutely right. If you have the correct tools it will save you a ton of time. Don't try to take shortcuts and don't try to force things in.

Most of all, remember the project is yours. You will make mistakes but keep moving forward and the boat will turn into your baby (at least mine did).

~M27

Welcome Lowe! I just finished my first tin. It just so happens to be a 1975 Bluefin 12' v-hull. Check out my build posted below in my signature. I have lots of other pics if you need. It's nothing to stress over. I guarantee you will make some changes along the way, I did. Take your time, think hard, and have fun. I'm not an expert, as this was my first one, but willing to help if you need it!