14' deep V sylvan mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fathead406

Reaction score
Well just joined here a couple days ago and seem to not be able to get enough of this! Started on my boat mod pretty new to the tinnie thing so bear with me. When you talk measurements I know its 14' long, do you get the width from the bottom floor or across the top? Would like to put on a deck possible ice chest livewell some storage and redo the wiring, so might be asking some questions. I will post some pics of my progress so far. Thanks, and look forward to chattin with everybody.

Welcome.

Typically, the models are called out by there width at the floor. Look forward to seeing your boat.

well thanks to my better half, figured out how to get some pics on here. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. Need to figure out some sort of support for my deck in the bow? Do you use 3/4" plywood for deck or 1/2"?

Depending on how much weight you are willing to add to the boat and how much framing you do will determine how thick your plywood, but if it were me I would definitely go with the 3/4", you'll appreciate its durability and lack of flex in the long run. Boat looks good, post more pics as you go

before you get your floor on you may wish to replace the lag bolts with toggle bolts that are holding your wood to the aluminum bench seats. My boat started that way "lag bolt to aluminum bench" and the metal is just to thin to hold for long. Walking on the floor will slowly wollow out the thin metal and it will get sloppy. Toggle bolts will solve this issue.

toggle_molly.jpg

Thanks guys, going to have to get a couple of battery boxes. Do you agree with running 2 batteries one just for trolling and the other will be for lights and my graph.

I think I will go with the 3/4" plywood trying to keep my budget low, but would rather be more sturdy than trying to cut corners, anybody have suggestions on how to fasten down the deck with the ability to take it off easy if needed?

With the toggle bolts would do you just drill a slightly larger hole to get the wing in? Just wondering how that would work with the foam in the seats? I appreciate the comments and will get more pics up as I go. Headed to Lowes tomorrow for more supplies and have a free day to work on Saturday can't wait!

I'm using 19/32" exterior ply for my decks... and it supports me fine (I'm around 185)... 3/4" will be more sturdy, but if you put an extra brace underneath it won't be a problem.. and I can tell ya now that that 3/4" ply is heavy. Whatever you do that, make sure that you use a sealer or deck paint on the wood... it will help out in the long run if it gets wet.

As far as the molly bolts, you are right... just drill a hole big enough for the wings to go down into and tighten it up..... I just re-read your post. I'm not sure how the bolts will work with the foam - I never used them. I just used 3&1/2" self tapping lag bolts (the largest that would fit in the hole of the seat bottom) and used that... I never had a problem with them

russ010 said:
I'm using 19/32" exterior ply for my decks... and it supports me fine (I'm around 185)... 3/4" will be more sturdy, but if you put an extra brace underneath it won't be a problem.. and I can tell ya now that that 3/4" ply is heavy. Whatever you do that, make sure that you use a sealer or deck paint on the wood... it will help out in the long run if it gets wet.

As far as the molly bolts, you are right... just drill a hole big enough for the wings to go down into and tighten it up..... I just re-read your post. I'm not sure how the bolts will work with the foam - I never used them. I just used 3&1/2" self tapping lag bolts (the largest that would fit in the hole of the seat bottom) and used that... I never had a problem with them

The foam will push out of the way. Just shove them in until the wings are past the aluminum and when you try to pull them back out the wings will open up and shove the foam out of the way. You can skip the whole idea if you like. My wood was held in place with lag bolts for long enough for the untreated 2x4 to rot. But if you want to mount it and never come back then toggles will be the way to go.

Latest posts