1436 Lowe rebuild/mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SC Pulse

Reaction score
I just got a 1436 Lowe jon boat for a pretty good deal but it needed some work. It came with a 15hp 2stroke mercury, 30lb thrust trolling motor, seats, floors, and few other accessories. My plans for the boat are to repaint it (camo), but new floors in, add some foam under them, put a small deck on the front to make some extra storage, wire the boat for lights, radio etc. and hopefully ill get a few more ideas from scrolling through these forums. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Here she is when I was bringing her home for the first time:
62e11603-82e4-4c85-a8ef-ebae210b8f7c_zps751e5d66.jpg

Just a few different views of the boat:
IMG_1051_zpsea525bd3.jpg

IMG_1054_zpsc32de375.jpg

IMG_1055_zpsb348b239.jpg

The gunwales are cracked :eek:
IMG_1042_zps77932a36.jpg

Getting her ready to be painted:
IMG_1061_zps8b520fc3.jpg

First coat and stencils which didn't turn out so great:
IMG_1075_zps40d691b0.jpg

Painted the trailer:
IMG_1083_zps1a30b062.jpg

Almost done, i had to jb weld some rivets on the transom and then used some rubber sealant on them:
IMG_1087_zps96a24817.jpg

Done with the outside, got her back on the trailer and now to start the inside:
IMG_1105_zpsc92c77ce.jpg

IMG_1106_zps5b91f729.jpg

Looks good so far, This is about how far I am along on my build. Just waiting for a buddy to make some guide-ons for me an I'll be all set to paint the trailer.

Thanks! I started working on the inside last night, I sanded some of the flaking paint and roughed it up some to get ready for its first coat. I was thinking about doing some kinda roll on bed liner though but I am still exploring that option. Good luck with your build!

What did you paint the trailer with? Looks like you got some good thick coverage and looks tough.

I used a wire wheel on the whole trailer to get all of the flaking paint and rust off and then just did coats of Rust-oleum flat black from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-Spray-Flat-Black/17011199

The weather has been somewhat pleasant enough for me to work on the boat some.

I was able to start sanding some of the inside of the boat and get rid of all the flaking paint and rough it up for a new coat. I used some leakseal on the rivets just for a little added protection against leaks. I was going to camo the inside of the boat also but I changed my mind.
IMG_9794_zps2bc0a6a4.jpg

I decided to go with bedliner instead of paint. I got the CHEAP spray can bedliner from lowes just to get the boat covered. I am planning on buying some roll on bedliner when i get the money and go back over it to provide a thicker coating.
IMG_0461_zps89db1c0f.jpg

For now I think my next steps are:
-Get the gunwales welded
-Re carpet the existing floors
-Build deck/storage
-Wire the boat for lights, radio, and trolling motor

I will be posting more pictures as the overhaul comes along 8)

So things have been quite crazy lately but I will get to that later in the pictures. After I painted and sealed up the inside of the boat, I decided to take it out to a small electric only lake where I could finally get it in the water.

My first mate, Winston

I ended up having a friend weld the gunnels for me. He told me to drop the boat off and he would take care of it no charge. I was so happy, but when I got the boat back I was in shock!

He had welded the gunnels, put a new sheet of alum across the back and welded it all up PLUS gave me a trailer jack. ALL FOR FREE!

Out on the water, the motor performed flawlessly

Me and Winston at a sandbar on the Congaree River

He loves the wind

Here is a little twist in my boat rebuild.....I became a dad for the first time to a beautiful and healthy baby girl; Rylynn

After I got use to my new dad life, plus all the flooding that had been going on, I was finally ready to take her back out. This time down to the swamp.

I am really wanting to hook the boat up with some lights like these. They are on my father inlaws boat

In the meantime I have been working on DIY rod holders, and planning out the decking/carpet and electrical stuff. Thanks for checking out the pics and I will keep more coming as the build carries on.

In not getting pics? Anybody else? Besides that, congrats on the bew baby, DUDE!!!!

I can see the images from my home and work computer, but if yall cant see them, please let me know and I can work at getting that fixed. and Thanks riverrat!!!

Congrats on the baby. Made my day seeing that. No way to describe the feeling of having your first child. Believe it or not, taking care of the baby will be much easier than modding your boat!

Enjoy the early years brother, they go by much quicker than you think!

wwcenturion said:
Congrats on the baby. Made my day seeing that. No way to describe the feeling of having your first child. Enjoy the early years brother, they go by much quicker than you think!
+2, Hope you happen to be there when she discovers her hands....it's a trip to watch! :)
Pics came through fine here. Jerry

The work you have gotten done looks good bud. I've got a lowe 1436 project that I started last year (pics coming soon hopefully!) I was going to apply bed liner to parts of my boat as well, but the cheapest quote I got was $800. Little to rich for my blood. With that being said, im just wondering how well the liner material that u applied your self is holding up and what/ if any surface preparation was necessary?