16’ vbottom project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tgc1021

Reaction score
Was given a 1979 StarCraft 16’ aluminum v bottom fishing boat by family member. After tearing out the floor the flotation under was styrofoam which was completely waterlogged so I ripped it out and just pitched it. Now that I have my floor rebuilt I’m having some issues finding a replacement for the flotation. I have some pink board and pool noodles left over from a previous project but is turning into a headache. This boat have one aluminum stringer down the middle and one on each side. They are about 24 inches apart and even with the foam built up underneath the brand new floor is sagging in some spots. I really wanted to avoid 2 part closed cell foam but don’t know if I have a choice. Maybe add extra stingers in between. Idk it’s my first v bottom and they’re a pain compared to the Jon boats I’ve previously done. Any ideas or advice? Thanks

Either flooring material is to thin or not the correct material. Go ahead and use the foam board and just add enough 2 part to fill the gaps. When I built a floor in my tinnie, I used a 5/8" 5 ply plywood that spanned almost 4' and supported my 200 lb butt without issue. What are you using for flooring ? ,??!

Sorry no stringers on the side. Just one down the middle which im guessing is my main problemIMG_2389.jpeg
Either flooring material is to thin or not the correct material. Go ahead and use the foam board and just add enough 2 part to fill the gaps. When I built a floor in my tinnie, I used a 5/8" 5 ply plywood that spanned almost 4' and supported my 200 lb butt without issue. What are you using for flooring ? ,??!
3/4 inch pvc sheeting for flooring. Picked it up cheep a few years ago and planned on putting it down and using non skid pain instead of carpet

Attachments

• IMG_2388.jpeg
    IMG_2388.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 1
PVC sheet is not as rigid as plywood but would still work. You could add a stringer or supports on each rib where is comes up to the sidewall. Floors don' t need to be perfectly flat nor never flex. Without seeing the inside of your boat, is there or have you considered adding a side support to stuffing the side to the bottom ? Don't see any bench seats or other structure to add support to the sides...

PVC sheet is not as rigid as plywood but would still work. You could add a stringer or supports on each rib where is comes up to the sidewall. Floors don' t need to be perfectly flat nor never flex. Without seeing the inside of your boat, is there or have you considered adding a side support to stuffing the side to the bottom ? Don't see any bench seats or other structure to add support to the sides...
I’ve taken whole boat apart and the gunnels and side benches, hatches are being rebuilt currently. I have enough aluminum pieces two add two stringers in between. Thanks for the reply

The OEM used 1/2" plywood and the styrofoam sheets did not support it. There should be a ledge for the mounting on the side and screws went into the rib ends. The edges of the plywood was angled along the outter edge to somewhat match the side taper. With 3/4" and square cut will leave too much of a gap, especially at the bow.

I would say someone has messed with that boat before you.

My 16’ StarCraft camp had two stringers, We added cross pieces and doubled at the flooring seams.

It was worth it. I used 3/8 epoxy soaked Okume and saved a ton of weight.

Good luck, take your time, it’s worth it

Attachments

• IMG_1822.jpeg
    IMG_1822.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1920.jpeg
    IMG_1920.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1
I would say someone has messed with that boat before you.

My 16’ StarCraft camp had two stringers, We added cross pieces and doubled at the flooring seams.

FWIW: I have and have seen quite a few Starcraft's with the single stringer down the middle, like what the OP has. I highly doubt that it has been modified by a previous owner. I didn't want the OP to think he has a bastardized boat.

Good to have that expererinced view.

I’m surprised at that though.

That is how those boats are. The tips of the cross braces are all you have for the edge of the panel to rest on. Here is a pic of mine:
1722617341187.jpeg

What I did with mine was after securing the flooring, I shot fill foam under the perimeter all the way around, and what a difference that made. It was very solid after that, and it kept water from going into the bilge area.

The PVC board is a bit flexible, but once you get used to it, it will be fine. I used a non-skid paint system, and it gives secure footing during rough seas. You might want to hit your PVC board with a 40 grit sander before painting to help it adhere properly:
1722617595215.jpeg

My boat initially came with a center console, but it really cramped the boat, making it feel small inside. So I used a side console, and I was very happy with the end result:

1722617833159.jpeg
1722617892417.jpeg

The boat feels really spacious for a 16 footer. Having a flat deck from bow to stern is really good in rough water, so I skipped the casting patform I was going to add. I did add storage in front of the console, and it all came together nicely. Very happy with how the boat turned out. It was a flip boat, and the first guy to come see it bought it with no haggling, and he is still really happy with it.

Hopefully, you will be very happy with yours! Feel

The CC has a "cool factor", and if your boat is wide enough, it's nice, but my Starcraft's beam was maybe 6', with wide gunnels, so it was tight getting around.

But you get used to whatever boat you have, so it's okay either way especially if you only fish a couple of people.

The CC has a "cool factor", and if your boat is wide enough, it's nice, but my Starcraft's beam was maybe 6', with wide gunnels, so it was tight getting around.

But you get used to whatever boat you have, so it's okay either way especially if you only fish a couple of people.
This is mainly just a solo fishing rig that will occasionally have a second person on it. All my past tin boats were side console and I got tired of constantly redistributing weight as the boat would list a lot to the right in the water while driving. I figure with a center console at least while driving I can have fuel, battery and myself centered while driving. Just put the gunnels on today and have 16” of room on each side and seems to be plenty for me. Thought about building a large back deck but really like how open it is. Any opinions on that? Mainly fish crappie, walleye and occasionally catfish. Thanks!

A CC is really good for your intended use.

Regarding decks, I've done front and back platforms, and they are useful, depending on your fishing style.
  • On my Princecraft, it was mainly a lake boat, so it had big front and back decks, and was a great fishing boat.
  • On my 18' StarCraft, it was used in rougher waters and had a smaller, lower front deck and no rear deck. This fit the boat's use.
  • On my Spectrum 16 Sport, a dual console, it has a big front deck and a small back deck. Good all-around boat.
If you are thinking of a back deck, it is probably right for you. You can store a lot under there, and it adds seating for guests, if needed. You just need to decide on how big you want it, based on your preferences and use.

This is mainly just a solo fishing rig that will occasionally have a second person on it. All my past tin boats were side console and I got tired of constantly redistributing weight as the boat would list a lot to the right in the water while driving. I figure with a center console at least while driving I can have fuel, battery and myself centered while driving. Just put the gunnels on today and have 16” of room on each side and seems to be plenty for me. Thought about building a large back deck but really like how open it is. Any opinions on that? Mainly fish crappie, walleye and occasionally catfish. Thanks!
I agree with every one of your thoughts & wound up using a grab rail & tiller for my 16.

As you know, light boats are sensitive to weight distribution.

My fuel is in the bow, swapped out my deep cell battery for a lifelpo saving 30# and made sure it is mounted on the centerline.

I sight cast & fish the flats mostly by myself but if a guest is with me I have to be conscious of my movements so they don’t stumble. Especially if we wind up fishing any kind of deeper rougher water.

Your work is beautiful. I think you should trust your gut. I can’t wait to see your finished boat