16' Mirrocraft to center console?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makai

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

This site has been a great resource for ideas. My wife and I just inherited her dad's 16' Mirrocraft with a mid-90's Johnson 25 2-stroke (fired up first try.....jackpot). Its the exact same mustard colored boat with orange and blue pinstripes i've seen on this site. Had to do a lot of work on the trailer to bring it from NJ to CT (bearings, wiring, hitch, and winch) but other than that, the boat floats and is in great shape for sitting in a driveway for 10 years. The transom is a little rotted out so i'll have replace it (suggestions on how to?) but I've had 2 water trials with no leaks. I live on the Long Island Sound and I'd like to eventually convert this boat to more of a center console type boat (staying close to shore). The boat currently has all the bench seats and no console or deck. I see most people here are converting to more of a side-console bass fishing type boat. I'll need the boat to be more balanced with a lower center of gravity than the conversions seem to be here. Anybody know of Mirrorcraft conversions that fit my needs?

Thanks again and I'll continue to monitor everyone else's builds.

First off :WELCOME: to tinboats and the mirrocraft owners club.

Check out my build (it's in my signature) not a center but might give you some ideas - lots of mirrocrafts on here check out the build section also

:WELCOME: Just like he said, there are plenty of ideas on this board.....look at mooberg's mod, he is putting a console on his 16. Post up some pics and you will get the feedback from everyone.

I've got the same boat. I even considered doing a center console after I got an outboard with remote steering/controls. I did a bunch of measuring, even started building the console, but once I put it in the boat I felt the boat was just not wide enough for a center console. I was just not happy with how tight walking around the console was going to be. In the end I decided go with a side console design.

I'm not saying it can't be done, maybe if you raised the floor a bit higher than mine to make it a couple inches wider it would work. I kept the main floor in my boat low because I wanted to feel like I was in the boat not on the boat while underway.

Looking forward to what you come up with, and welcome to club mirrocraft!!

Here's a picture from my first open water sea trial in Long Island Sound. I'll post some pics of the interior soon. Interesting point on room for center console.....

Attachments

• boat black point.jpg
    boat black point.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,553
The plan for mine is to put console centered but towards the back. I don't know if that is gonna be workable
or not.like mo is doing I was thinking side console also but wasn't sure if boat would lean to that side with just
Me in it or me and my little fishing partner.

Just an FYI, the factory mirrocraft console is 20 1/4" wide, you would probably want to keep whatever you build or scavenge to about the same width. To get the width you'll need for the floor you will need to raise it up so it sits on the flat area above the ribs. That would give you about 18' on either side of the console, that depends on where you put the console in the boat of course.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress.

So its been a while....winters in New England are long and depressing to say the least. Major repairs last year were to the trailer. The boat served her purpose last summer but I'm trying to get this girl back to her glory days. I'll be using this boat out in the Long Island Sound so my boat will need to be better for open water than most of the bass-style mods on this site. I need to keep a pretty low center of gravity.

Project A - First step is replacing the transom which has shown the most wear. Found an interesting alternative to 3 levels of glued 1/2" plywood. I bought a 5' piece of 9 1/2 x 1 5/8" LVL for about 20 bucks and cut it down to size. It's about 1/8" thicker than the original so I'm hoping it fits as is or else i'll be shaving down 1/8". This way, there's no way the glue will ever delaminate. LVL comes with a wax coating on both sides so i'll sand that off and finish it with epoxy. Trying to decide whether to paint it or finish with an aluminum skin. Has anyone ever contacted MirroCraft to get the specs for the factory yellow paint?

Project B - platform extension for the forward seat filling the bow in which I'd like to install an anchor locker and additional storage. Possibly cover it up with a custom cushion for loungin. Another question - has anyone ever contacted MirroCraft to try to get a hold of the brackets that hold the seats? I was thinking that might be a good way to secure the forward insert and it would look consistent.

Project C - I'd also like to move the battery forward to get better weight distribution. right now its me, the battery, gas tank, and 25hp Johnson on the stern with only my wife and 3-year old son up front. Its like Tommy Boy. I'm amazed she gets up on plane as good as she does. I love the plan I saw on Dobsonfly's page for seat replacement so that's down the road. Again, keeping the original look pretty much the same with more function.

Project D - I'd like to replace the factory floats/cup holders on the stern with custom enclosures/storage and maybe install a sound system there....all in good time. Just give me some fricken warm weather.

Attachments

• transom outside.jpg
    transom outside.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    986.2 KB · Views: 1,128
  • lvl vs plywood.JPG
    lvl vs plywood.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,128
Makai said:
So its been a while....winters in New England are long and depressing to say the least. Major repairs last year were to the trailer. The boat served her purpose last summer but I'm trying to get this girl back to her glory days. I'll be using this boat out in the Long Island Sound so my boat will need to be better for open water than most of the bass-style mods on this site. I need to keep a pretty low center of gravity.

Project A - First step is replacing the transom which has shown the most wear. Found an interesting alternative to 3 levels of glued 1/2" plywood. I bought a 5' piece of 9 1/2 x 1 5/8" LVL for about 20 bucks and cut it down to size. It's about 1/8" thicker than the original so I'm hoping it fits as is or else i'll be shaving down 1/8". This way, there's no way the glue will ever delaminate. LVL comes with a wax coating on both sides so i'll sand that off and finish it with epoxy. Trying to decide whether to paint it or finish with an aluminum skin. Has anyone ever contacted MirroCraft to get the specs for the factory yellow paint?

Project B - platform extension for the forward seat filling the bow in which I'd like to install an anchor locker and additional storage. Possibly cover it up with a custom cushion for loungin. Another question - has anyone ever contacted MirroCraft to try to get a hold of the brackets that hold the seats? I was thinking that might be a good way to secure the forward insert and it would look consistent.

Project C - I'd also like to move the battery forward to get better weight distribution. right now its me, the battery, gas tank, and 25hp Johnson on the stern with only my wife and 3-year old son up front. Its like Tommy Boy. I'm amazed she gets up on plane as good as she does. I love the plan I saw on Dobsonfly's page for seat replacement so that's down the road. Again, keeping the original look pretty much the same with more function.

Project D - I'd like to replace the factory floats/cup holders on the stern with custom enclosures/storage and maybe install a sound system there....all in good time. Just give me some fricken warm weather.

(Not intended to be a bash, simply my experience)
I believe bigwave contacted Mirrocraft for some parts (transom pattern maybe?? look at his build). Anyway I contacted them about 3 parts and was disappointed in all three. I asked about the inner and outer transom aluminum pieces as well as the trim above the transom. I spoke with them in detail as well as sent photos of my boat to confirm style/model and gave them my hull info. The lady in parts was okay to work with but after sending pictures, I ended up with 3 parts that were sub par in my opinion and need additional work to fit, they were "generic" at best. It could be that I have access to very good manufacturing tools between work and home thus raised my expectation, but still I feel I was mislead as some parts are not the same size (inner and outer transom piece is completely different size). The pieces are NOT direct fit, the trim above the transom I ordered I presumed would be bent to fit my model was actually a straight piece that was broke in a sheat metal break all bending left up to me. The inner and outer aluminum transom plates were not for my model at all, neither had any of the rivet holes in them, both parts had excess flash from a fresh plasma cut obviously, and the inner transom plate did not have the factory bend in it either (as the original does). Not trying to knock them too much because it sounds like they are still a grass roots place and such, and you will only talk to one lady in parts probably. All that said I had an expectation of "replacement" parts and really in my opinion overpaid for some rough finished aluminum universal fit pieces (was hoping to save some time, my transom trim is in 2 pcs right now and am still going to just weld it back together and beat out a bunch of dents and such). Those 3 parts were $80 with shipping to KS from MI. Again this is only my 2 cents and experience with them... hindsight you are money ahead to get someone in a local fab or metal shop to cut and bend these up for you if you don't have the resources (bring in cardboard templates or the actual parts).

I did contact them at one time, I guess I got lucky, I was only trying to get the template for the 15" transom.....the guy I talked to was helpful and emailed me the pattern. My boat was a learning curve, and is in no way perfect......It suites my needs. I agree with the above poster, help your local economy and support it as much as you can. If you get stuck just ask for some help, thats what I did and many fine folks on here will help you. I have lots of relatives in Kansas, where you at?

East central KS, south of Kansas City, KS a bit. Here is the parts I have vs what I got from them. Again, Mirrocraft is a great company just wish I would have been forewarned that these parts are not direct replacements of older model boats, or I would have went down a different path and saved myself some cash. Actually was inspired to call based on Bigwave's success story on here. I think I can make the trim work but will just have to see if it ways out to do that vs weld mine back together.

Attachments

• ap.jpg
    ap.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 1,084
Thanks for the advice Dobsonfly....too bad they weren't that helpful. Looks like you're in the middle of the same project I am. My aluminum is in good shape except for the top cap which it looks like you got from them. How much was that? Appreciate the help fellas.

Makai said:
Thanks for the advice Dobsonfly....too bad they weren't that helpful. Looks like you're in the middle of the same project I am. My aluminum is in good shape except for the top cap which it looks like you got from them. How much was that? Appreciate the help fellas.

It is their part number 310-8503. $20.70 for the U-Channel plus shipping.

Wow Dob, your right, the pieces are nothing like the original parts. I understand the u-channel, I am sure that they bend it as they go for many different transom styles, but the other pieces could have been easily acquired through any metal shop. I just saw some aluminum flashing at the box store the other day that had the correct width for my transom.....I might buy some and use on my boat, of course I will have to bend it too.

bigwave said:
Wow Dob, your right, the pieces are nothing like the original parts. I understand the u-channel, I am sure that they bend it as they go for many different transom styles, but the other pieces could have been easily acquired through any metal shop. I just saw some aluminum flashing at the box store the other day that had the correct width for my transom.....I might buy some and use on my boat, of course I will have to bend it too.

I have and idea for a "two piece wood forming die", I will post pics. Planning to use the transom as a template to cut the shape in a "two by something laying around" and use a hammer to form them. Hope it works! Be singing a better tune then!

Latest posts