16' V hull FINALLY DONE!....for now 3/17....see final POST.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started work on my 16'.

Changed the plans to the below

Decided to remove only one seat and will install support to compensate for removal.
heres the pics of recent work. My carpentry skills are obviously pretty poor, but everything so far is extremely sturdy and hopefully carpet will cover up my lack of skill.
I am going for an extremely simple build using the existing seats(except for one) as base and support. While this limits my capactity for storage. It makes sense for my skill level.
Everything will be easy to remove and reinstall in case I want to do thing differently in the future.

this will be the floor of the storage below the front deck. Decking will be equal level with existing benches using the 1" thick plywood deck left by previous owner.
You can see it in the first pic. He supported the plywood with 2 long aluminum L shaped braced drilled into the seats. I will do the same but raise the decking up to seat level. Fished alot with the boat in some choppy conditions and it is very stable even when standing on seats so the decking should work fine at that level.
need to make some small doors for storage here. Going to store the battery underneath the seat as was shown in another mod (the minnow bucket...thanks for the idea =). This storage here will be used primarily for an anchor. And another layer of thin plywood wil be added.

A few more pics.

Added some plywood to close off storage area and keep stuff from falling through cracks.

Added support for 1" plywood flooring.

cut out hatch.
next up is adding hinges to hatch and finishing the front decking by adding another layer of plywood and cutting out a hatch for storage.

Been puting some more hours into the boat.

-hatches added to trolling motor deck
-Decided to add storage space to both sides.
-livewell storage added behind front deck (well, at least the framing for it)
-reinforced support on both sides
-flooring bolted into ribs, storage frame bolted into flooring

still to do:
-rear deck frame
-wiring for livewell, electric start motor, trolling motor(s),
-storage paneling
-carpeting

definately learning a ton from doing the work and reading other's threads. Perhaps next year or the year after I may re-do some of my shoddy carpentry lol. For now she is ugly underneath but sturdy and functional and hopefully the carpeting will cover her blemishes =)

so with the change in plans as the work evolved it looks like I will end up the build looking like this.

alot less floor space than I had anticipated...but with keeping the seats in, there wasnt really a way around that.

I don think I am finished modifying boats though! This has been highly addicting and maybe in years to come I will do total seat removal on this or another boat.

more work done.

Still to come....

Carpetting...cant decide whether of not I want to carpet the sides of the boat as well or just the decks, floor and storage.

Livewell....I need to find plans somewhere or come up with plans that dont involve cutting large hoes in the hull for intake and outflow. I am fine with transom holes...but drilling a hole below the water line for any reason makes me nervous.

Installation of 2 fishfinders fore and aft.

looks great. Don't be afraid to drill a hole below the waterline. After the first one the rest are much easier.
Plus if you mess up you will learn how to patch the hole. :mrgreen:

Yep, good lookin' cockpit layout. And I'm with Dan, just drill the hole, use 5200 for sealant and let 'er run. A Unibit makes nice clean holes.

thanks for the input guys.

Maybee you could give me some input on carpet...

I am debating wether or not to carpet the wall of just the floor and decking.
Heres a pic of the bow with carpeting done. (that is window glare on the left hatch)

so whats your opinion?

-do rest of the boat like above? (this is the only section completed so far)

-carpet sides?

-paint the sides with
or something like it??

not like it matters a ton, but just looking to see what others think.

Thanks again!

danmyersmn said:
I would paint the sides with something like Rustoleum Marine. I see no reason to carpet them or put a no-skid on.

well I was thinking the non skid paint would help with noise reduction. I tend to make quite the racket.

carpeting done.
Probably will be removing staples and replacing them with dark-harder to see carpet nails for some time =)....but anyway at least its down.

Gotta say carpeting was my least favorite part so far...

heres the pics...sorry for the cell phone quality
pardon the gorilla tape here...had to cover some jagged metal edges...gonna try and
find something more attractive to cover them with eventually.

Work still to come:
-installation of bilge pump
-livewell installation
-Fish finder installation
-switchboard
-interior storage walls (yeah I shoulda done that first...but thats what happens when you learn as you go lol)
-chair installation

Thank you all for this awesome site...would not have had a clue without yall!

The carpet is indoor/outdoor and can be found at Home Depot for $.49. per square foot. I bought more than I needed and it ended up being (by far) the most expensive single component of the build so far.

I was lucky to get all the wood,except a couple peices of ply, for free from my church. (they were disposing of a christmas play's set materials)

many of the nails, screws and a few tools were left behind at our house by the previous home owners.

Plus...I bought the boat/trailer/motor with money I earned from selling warhammer minis on ebay =)!

all in all a very inexpensive boat for what it will end up as IMHO. (even if the wife disagrees lol!)

Hey Bassnbrian when you put your carpet on did you glue it? Did you have to cut your hatches just a little bit smaller to allow for the carpet? And another thing did you wrap your carpet around your hatches and under your deck? then staple the bottom? I'm going to buy carpet tomorrow just wondering how to do it? would'nt mind seeing a pic with one of your doors open to see the bottom. Looks awesome though makes me excited to get going on mine!

Its hard finding a glue that workds well in the cold winter weather here in michigan.
But gorrilla glue did work well in the places I needed it.

to answer your question.

I carpeted each hatch door seperately by wrapping the carpet around each.

I carpeted the remainder of the wood surfaces with staples and carpet nails and gorrilla glue when on aluminum.