1648 Landau Duck Boat "The Dirty Oar"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not 100% but I think a group 24 battery has around 80 amp hours.
Should get 10 hours,a thrid of that if 3.
Look for some type of LED spot lights,draw alot less.
That must be a bright light to be 100watt,alot of halogens are only 55W.

I'll have to do a little looking for an led lamp that'll work off the battery. And yes, the bulb (4905 aircraft bulb) is brighter than my buddy's 2 million candle power spot. I know there's a difference in candle power and lumens and I don't remember the difference and I don't know the lumens of this bulb but it is freaking bright!

Did you make that grab handle yourself or did you have it fabricated for you? Details please. I'd like to add one of those to my refurb. project.

I made it myself. I went by a local exhaust shop and got a 7' piece of 1-3/4" piece bent to 180• and then had them cut me another 3' piece. I circle cut and welded the angle to the hoop. I also went to a metal shop and got a piece of 2" angle and a 4"x4" drop of 1/4" plate. Drilled the holes. Mocked everything up and welded it all together. I had some aluminum plate left over from cutting out of the bench seats and rivited that onto the front of the hoop. This allowed me to put a few misc hangers on the aluminum plate for..... Junk holders, lol! I'll take a few pics of it tomorrow and post with more detail. I've got about $40 in the whole thing.

Did a little Fitchin' this weekend. Boat is working out well. Having a problem keeping the key in the keyway..... Can't get one to fit tight. Its like the keyway is wornout.

IMG_0172.jpg

And the Whopper of the day!

IMG_0175.jpg

Spent about 10 minutes trying to catch this little guy. He was right off of a grass bed point and kept nibbling on my 10" worm..... little did I know the worm was bigger than he was. Turns out.... his eyes WEREN'T bigger than his Belly!

mmf said:
I really like the color of the base paint, what color is it and what kind of paint??

It is "Sand Tan" Parker's Duck Boat Paint. Very Flat paint, goes on well with roller and is fairly durable. The rest of krylon camo colors from Ace Hardware......

New Update! Sold the 13hp Long Tail and picked up a 23hp Long Tail. Here are a few before and after pictures. I'll take some more pics this weekend. I'm finally wiring some lights and hopefully making an adjustable trolling motor mount.

IMG_0295.jpg
IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg
IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg
IMG_0307.jpg

Nope.... I just put a Khaki base coat and then use a different spray tip from a can of bore cleaner and swipe across whatever I'm painting very fast..... Not the best camo but works for me....

Hey great job on the Mod! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of carpet did you use for your Mod - I have been looking for that color of Tan but can only seem to find it at Cabelas which seems to be expensive. Where did you get it? Thanks!

Thanks! Its been fun working on her and still have a ways to go. Prolly gonna do an aluminum deck after this duck season (weight & durability)

The carpet, It's from Lowe's it's pretty cheap too. Not their cheapest but the next one to it. Good color and has worn well so far.....

reedjj said:
I remember reading that you were not happy with your old motor. Have you had the new one out yet? If so what speeds are you getting.

I bet your not plowing anymore!

Yeah..... I was very happy with the little motor I had, just wasn't fast enough. I'm still waiting on the transom plate to get welded and I'm planning on starting to wire the boat this evening with a buddy. I hope to give it a test on Friday in the river. I'm hearing I should see close to 20mph! Thats almost double what I was getting before.

Man i really like your camo. I too got the Parker Sand color. How did you do the other colors? What do you mean by Bore cleaner? Our teal season starts on Sep 10th so i need to get this paint thing fnished haha.. By the way the boat looks great!

JVRAT said:
Man i really like your camo. I too got the Parker Sand color. How did you do the other colors? What do you mean by Bore cleaner? Our teal season starts on Sep 10th so i need to get this paint thing fnished haha.. By the way the boat looks great!

By "Bore Cleaner" I meant that I used the spray tip off of the aerosol can. Bore cleaner is used to clean the inside of a gun barrel. It just happened to have a very fine spray. I just use that fine tip on the regular camo paint cans and spray fast streaks across the surface to be painted. Maybe I'll post a video!

It has been a while since I updated my post. I ended up wiring some switches, lighting, blah blah.

I used trolling motor plugs for.... the trolling motor, my head lamps and my handheld spot light to I can use any of the three plugs in the boat for the separate items.
IMG_0333.jpg

This is just a pic of the inside wiring courtesy of my buddy (the electrician). My wiring would be much sloppier!
IMG_0332.jpg

Here is the switch panel, master cutoff, Cigarette lighter plug, and trolling motor plug/outlet.
IMG_0328.jpg

Then came Gator season! And to answer Reed's question about speed. With a full load of:
5 gallon gas tank, spare gallon jug (full)
(2) Batteries
life jackets
Paddles
Trolling motor
Gator Gear
Me - 190lbs
Buddy - 235lbs (Being polite)
Full wood deck
tools
misc
and frog spit on the bottom I get 15.6mphLoaded / 19.2 mph empty

Here are a few pics I took while we were hunting:
IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

And our Catch!

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

Small one was a little over 8' and the bigger one was just over 10'. Good times with good friends!

I'll see about posting a video of my "Shade Tree" Painting technique..... if you can call it that!