1648 NSC 9.9 question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxinc666

Reaction score
First post here I have a 09 9.9 yamaha 2 stroke and am looking at new boats I really want a alumacraft 1648 NSC and wondered if anyone has this combo or something similar and how it pushes the boat and top speed and what not. I might have to go with something a little smaller

From what I here it's pretty simple to bump a 2 stroke yamaha to a 15 from a 9.9. I would like to sell my 9.9 to upgrade to my buddy's 25 horse jet he's selling

I have an alumacraft 1648 mv ncs and while I usually run a 25hp I fish one lake with a 20hp restriction. When I go there I run a mariner 9.9 and it doesn't plane out. It tops out at 13mph on a good day with 2 people 2 batteries and gear. Never tried different props to see what it might do with a different pitch. You could always sell the 9.9 and look for a 20hp or so.

My current setup is an Alumacraft 1650 MV and Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust. The boat planes fine and runs back and forth on our 600 acre lake for days without a need for gas. I also angle in several rock infested rivers and you really can't travel very fast in that environment.

I can lift the motor alone and move it inside during the colder season and then put it back on the boat to fish Steelhead, without winterizing it.

Will be adding a Terrova soon and by running the two motors together, the 9.9 will add the necessary thrust and the HB trolling motor with Ipilot will steer the boat by remote.

Watch out fish.

Thanks for the quick responses I run in a river a lot so I might just go with a 1448 and put 15 hp reeds and propeller on my outboard

I bought an Alumicraft 1648 last year and put my 9.9 hp Nissan on it and added a plywood floor, trolling motor, etc. It pushes me well enough on our 600 acre lake. Matter of fact, I'm thinking of selling my 17 ft. boat with a 50 hp Nissan and using the Alumicraft on larger lakes. You go a bit slower, but it would mean one less boat, trailer, etc. to fool with. I'm happy with the rig. Don't know how it would do in severe river current though.

I have a Johnson 9.9 on a 1654 GRIZZLEY. 13 mph on a lake with 1 person. On a river I can barely make it up through some of the chutes with it. With 2 people I doubt if I could make it through those same chutes.

Latest posts