18 foot Ghetto Queen

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunner said:
i hate to steal your thunder but how do you extend the tongue properly. i mean i'm sure i could rig something up but its better to just do it right the first time

Yea im a little confused on that too. Im no welder, and I certainly dont have the cash considering I just drained my bank account to buy this thing.

To do it properly you will have to get a welder to do it. Probably won't be to expensive though.

I see two options.

1. Get a new trailer
2. Extend the tongue.

The second should cost considerably less. Make some phone calls to local welding shops around you and check. I'm curious what you get quoted. If you don't do either, it looks like you will be backing your vehicle's wheels in the water everytime you launch/load, not to mention the transom overhanging the back of the trailer what looks to be at least 18" in the current position, and I wouldn't suggest backing the boat up any further. Like said, you really need to move the boat forward, and your tongue length won't allow it.

Looking at the pics again, I think you need at least 3ft added.

Should cost less than $100 to extend the tongue, probably around $60 or so. Almost all lower end trailers bolt together so you unbolt that tongue and just put the longer peice of stock in it's place, drill the mounting holes and rebolt the old hardware. Where in PA are you?

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
Should cost less than $100 to extend the tongue, probably around $60 or so. Almost all lower end trailers bolt together so you unbolt that tongue and just put the longer peice of stock in it's place, drill the mounting holes and rebolt the old hardware. Where in PA are you?

Jamie

Northwest, right around Meadville, just below Erie

Kinda looks like you have a 18' on a 14' trailer. I really think you should sell that trailer a find a different one. Nobody has made mention of the fact that your gonna need to extend it more than two feet just to get the transom over the rear of that thing. Looks more like it need about 4 to 6 feet added to its length.

About your plan for the trolling motor i would not buy a 50 for that boat, i would go for atleast a 70 pound thrust. I have a 16ft fisher thats pretty heavy and the 70 is fast enough i figure your 18 loaded with 2 people and gear weight you would need more. Cheers

-Kody

Ghetto queen is such an awesome name for that boat, after you paint it, you should be sure to restore the name to that beauty. It might be bad luck not to keep the name.

As said above, that trailer appears to be bolted together and if so the fix wont be bad.

1. shove boat off trailer
2. unbolt current tongue if bolted
3. buy new piece of steel the same diameters, but approx 6' longer then the current tongue
4. drill holes and bolt everything back together with new fasteners and get it welded up

i would also call around and see what it would run to get the joints all welded up. maybe the local community college has a welding class or something.
im betting it could be fixed for under a $100 as well

WTL said:
Ghetto queen is such an awesome name for that boat, after you paint it, you should be sure to restore the name to that beauty. It might be bad luck not to keep the name.

You know, its funny, my dad saw that and he told me about this old movie where he thinks the ghetto queen was taken from. Like it was some type of reference. Im thinking i might go find that movie, watch it, and if i like it, maybe take something from it for the name of the boat. Maybe a part of a quote, main character name, name of movie, location movie took place, etc..

MallardAddict said:
As said above, that trailer appears to be bolted together and if so the fix wont be bad.

1. shove boat off trailer
2. unbolt current tongue if bolted
3. buy new piece of steel the same diameters, but approx 6' longer then the current tongue
4. drill holes and bolt everything back together with new fasteners and get it welded up

i would also call around and see what it would run to get the joints all welded up. maybe the local community college has a welding class or something.
im betting it could be fixed for under a $100 as well

Thanks for taking a very complicated sounding problem and making it seem like a quick and easy fix! (im being optimistic but thanks a lot anyways!)

A quick Google search and found out Ghetto Queen is a song by R. Kelly, I cant post most of the lyrics (family site) but here is a short clip for you.

"You're my ghetto queen
Right around the way from me
Watering those ghetto trees
We be high just like them weeds"

Latest posts