1950s Alumacraft Deep C Upper Transom Drains

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

79XS

Reaction score
Hello, I have a late 1950s Deep C. Windshield and steering wheel are up front, not mid mounted. Currently, I run a 1961 Johnson 10HP and a 5gal tank. If I go in the very rear of the boat to pull-start or fix the engine, my 230lbs weight is enough cause the upper drains to take on a bit water, mostly if the boat is rocking a bit, see the picture below. I do not have a photo to post, so I used one off Google Images, forgive me if its a boat owned by someone here. I would like to switch to a 1950s 30HP motor. I am worried about the added weight of a battery plus a larger motor. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm not sure if I would survive losing a battery and 20HP worth of weight over winter...🥵 😁

Thanks.

IMG_20170522_184238448.jpg

Very odd scenario. I also have a Deep C and have had no experiences of that nature. The boat is rated 60hp and designed to accept twins. It also has an aft bench originally designed for a seatback - implying family seating. All equating to a design meant to accept some rearward weight. (it is a *deep c* hull after all, in my experience an extremely stable design built for bigger water)
That being said, a larger motor is going to offer electric start options that would circumvent the rearward journey.
Once equipped with more HP, your planing experience will be much different and allow a reconfiguration of your fuel, gear, and people to maximize balance.
Ultimately, one could mount an upper bilge pump to more quickly evacuate the Aqueduct Transom, as well, if it's not emptying quick enough. (your selected pic shows a non-factory hole size. There were originally 12-14 smaller 3/16in holes.)

The water empties out pretty quick. I wasn't sure if it was normal for them to be so low. I'll have the boat out on Saturday, I'll take some pictures. Again, it tends to happen when I am messing with the motor, maybe looking over the back or unlatching the cowl.

Any recommendations on engines? I really like the look of the 1950s OMC engines. My 1961 looks a bit too modern. I have been eying up a local 1957 Evinrude Lark 35. I'm not worried about doing mechanical work, but I know parts can be a wildcard.