1961 Texas Maid 14 Ft V-Hull Project Tear Down / Rebuild / Resto

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasMaidResto

Reaction score
Howdy All,

About 5 years ago I was given this old 1961 Texas Maid 14ft V-Hull from my soon to be father in law, after doing some research I decided (foolishly perhaps) I wanted to restore her to her former glory. I began by pulling out the carpeting and plywood decking and stripping about 12 layers of paint off her with the hopes of polishing the aluminum. In the process I removed the gussets/supports running from the sides of the hull to the benches. I am curious if I will need to replace these to insure the integrity of the hull. Anyhow, progress pictures posted below from start to where I am now. I currently have a few remaining spots of old paint to strip then polish aluminum (may just paint teal/white 1950s style), will need to replace transom, repair a small hole/crack in the hull (I put it there attempting to remove a moccosin nest under some decking but thats a different story), and replace the benching. Please tell me what yall think, this is my first "boat" / project so any and all suggestions/tips/ticks are appreciated. Picture with tiller mounted was just for personal inspiration. I most certainly have my work cut out for me

Attachments

• IMG_0659.PNG
    IMG_0659.PNG
    426 KB
  • IMG_0660.PNG
    IMG_0660.PNG
    505.9 KB
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    259.5 KB
  • IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    218.2 KB
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    195.4 KB
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    186.8 KB
Welcome to TinBoats! I always like to see these old Texas Maid and Lonestar boats brought back to life. Looks like you already have made a lot of headway. I hope you keep posting your progress.

The braces are there for a reason. Put them back. I can almost 100% guarantee after just a little use you won't even notice they are there. Additionally, they can come in handy for mounting rod storage or other accessories.

Moccosin nest - YIKES! I think my "removal" would have resulted in bigger holes. Haha.

Welcome to TinBoats! I always like to see these old Texas Maid and Lonestar boats brought back to life. Looks like you already have made a lot of headway. I hope you keep posting your progress.

The braces are there for a reason. Put them back. I can almost 100% guarantee after just a little use you won't even notice they are there. Additionally, they can come in handy for mounting rod storage or other accessories.

Moccosin nest - YIKES! I think my "removal" would have resulted in bigger holes. Haha.
Thanks! I will certainly post updates!... Unfortunately the braces were tossed in ignorance... Im going to have to find / fabricate some replacements... If you have any ideas/suggestions please let me know!

One last (hopefully) Spa Day for the ol lady to get the last of the paint off while I wait on transom material

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpeg
    IMG_0830.jpeg
    102.1 KB

Latest posts