1965 fastwin again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spidey1984

Reaction score
So some of you may recall my post about this motor not running and with everyones help I got it running. WellIm still trying to work out some bugs.I have replaced the fuel pump, all ignition parts, rebuilt the carb and replaced all fuel lines. Todays test on the lake went better than previous attempts. But with the throttle at full it was not getting up to speed, kinda bogged down and then after running for a few mins it spits and skips then all of a sudden opens up and hauls ***. Im thinking it has to be a fuel issue but dont know what else I can replace. Im thinking Im getting air in the system theres one more connection Im going to ch3ck tomorrow. Ill post a video but you cant really hear it with the wind and such. Any ideas, could the timing be off or something? Some one mentioned link and sync but im not sure what that is or means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR8hSvpWbEk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Your video is set to "Private" so it can't be viewed. I don't think it's a timing issue since you said it goes from spitting to hauling ***. If the timing was off it's going to remain off and not go from bad to good.

Fixed the video. So it has to be a fuel issue? Gotta be getting air in somewhere i think.

Sounds like its not hitting on one cylinder. What brand of plugs are you using? Maybe its loading up at idle and once you open it up it flushes the system out and finally dries the plugs out then they both fire( carb adjustment). Or you could have a bad connection or part in the ignition system. Just because its new doesnt mean its good!

Steve

The plugs are about the only thing I have not changed. They look like champion brand j4c's i believe. A work buddy looked at my plugs and said one looked like i was running lean and the other looked like it was running rich. How does that even happen? Went in the lake today but its only idle speed after 4pm. But instantly ran like crap primer bulb was not firm and i gave it a few squeezes and it firmed ul bit still ran like crap.

Sprayed wd40 on all fuel connections and it didnt seem to be drawing it into the system. Got home hooked up to water hose and the engine ran fine, put it in gear and it sounded great, for about 10 mins then it started its crap. Its hard to explain what it does, its running fine then it pops or sputters a little then revs up then back down on its own. It almost does seem like its missing on one cylinder. When i replaced coils one of the wires broke and i spliced it back together with a little button splice deal dont know if this could be an issue? I didnt think it would. Its starting to piss me off, I got this far and now its prolly something simple thats whoopin me. If you seen my first post about this motor i got this motor running when the shop I put it in could not (with the help of this community of course)

Whats next?

Just a quick question. I was googling as always and stumbled across something. There is a needle spring that connects to the needle valve and float it the carb. Does the needle spring have to be on there?

I believe i just solved my problem. I did not put thqt spring on cuz the old valve didnt have one. And from what this guy says it is highly important.

https://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/johnson/Evinrude%20Johnson%205.5%20HP%201954-1964%20Carburetor%20Tune-UP.htm

The "spring" is just a clip that attaches the needle to the float. It's purpose is to pull the needle out of the seat as the bowl drops down, to allow fuel to flow into the float bowl. The needle should drop out of the seat just from the force of gravity, but I have seen some that would stick a little and needed to have the clip. Maybe yours is one of those, but if yours was sticking, it would exhibit the symptoms of running out of fuel. So if that is what your engine seems to be doing, then it might be the solution to your problem.

The guy in the link says it is highly important to put thqt clip Iin being the new valve has a rubber tip and it will.get stuck in the seat. I hope its that simple. Except I have no clue what I did with thqt spring

First things first replace the plugs try that. The little spring on the float needle is to help open and close the needle so it wont get stuck. If it got stuck it wouldnt run. Fuel pump pressure will be pushing it open and the float will be closing it. There are millions of engines running around the world without that spring. I am putting money on the plugs or in the ignition system. Check it for spark on both cylinders?

Steve

Bought some plugs today bought j6c instead of j4c. Started raining so I cant put them in. One of my plugs was cleaner than the other, read that that cylinder could be ingesting water. Is this a possibility?

My phone wont take a good video of my motor but this vid I found is what my motor is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCRYSWEVG2c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I might have just solved my issue. all this time I was thinking fuel and now Im thinking fire. I put 2 new plugs in today and it ran fine for about 10 minutes then it started popping and jerking around. I pulled the 2 plugs and seen one plug is clean 2013-05-13 20.03.36.png

and the other is black. So I put my spark tester on the clean plugs wire and kept adjusting the distance and number 1 would jump 1/4 inch gap. When I put it on plug 2 it could not jump that 1/4 inch gap. #2 just so happens to be the coil that when I was putting it in the main wire going to the points broke and I spliced it back together with one of thesesButton-Connector.jpg

So perhaps this connector cant handle the juice going through it or its just a bad conection in general so I have a new coil on the way and hope that will be the issue.

Sound like this could be it??

I spliced a coil also did replacing it fix the problem? Have same issue thnx!

You know I had a problem with my 18hp when I first got it. It was doing something similar to what you are talking about. Like lose of power and maybe fuel but the mechanic I got it from had checked that system out but did not test run it on the river. It turned out to be the prop. The rubber bushing between the prop and the spindle had gone bad and was slipping. A trip to the prop shop cured that problem. Now I carry an extra prop.