1965 merc 9.8

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpowindle

Reaction score
Hello
I have a 1965 merc 110 9.8hp. I got her last summer and ran a few times on a lake. Havent done anything withher this year because I left her plugged to tank and sitting all winter. Fuel dried up mostly and I just need to know where to start. I hesitate to take her for a tuneup cause she was tuned last year. It is very expensive here inTN plus I dont know of a good mechanic. Any suggestions onhow to proceed? :?:

You will get excellent advice at old John's mercury site.

https://johnsoldmercurysite.com/phpBB3/index.php

Thanks for the link an information. I asked and they did tell me some ideas. I need to clean the carb and possibly get some electical work done to the motor to restore it to full power. I am really debating what to do with the old motor. Its a 1965 Merc 110 9.8hp and is in really decent shape BUT the parts are becoming quite expensive and sometimes difficult to find. The other issue is finding a mechanic to do the work. Most shops won't touch it because of the age and parts difficulties. The $90 per hour for labo is also a very big obstacle. I am really thinking about getting one of the new propane 9.9hp outboards. The only thing slowing me down is the $2000 plus that it will cost. I sure could do a lot with 2000. (a used bigger boat with a motor). I really dont want to part with the boat that I have put so much labor into.

I just joined your world. I bought my dad's 1970 9.8 and 1976 Terry 16' jon boat w/trailor last week. The motor is in good shape, but we'll see how long parts are available...

Regardless of which motor you go with, you'll be looking at those $90 hr. labor charges unless you learn to do at least some of the maint and/or repairs yourself. There will always be a need to replace impellers, lower unit oil, plugs, clean the carb etc, so it might be a good idea to start learning some of those things now with an older motor instead of having to learn on a $2000 one.

The Merc 110 is very similar to the Merc 60's. I have been doing my own work on them recently, I have two. They are relatively simple and as stated before you will get some great help from the guys on https://www.johnsoldmercurysite.com I am on there as well, look at my thread that is in my signature. To see the photos you will need to join the forum. I have some good photos of pulling the lower unit and replacing the water pump. The other repairs are "easy" for the most part if you still are good on spark.

Latest posts