1973 12' Sea King Deck in and a question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just_fishing

Reaction score
So I got the deck finished this past weekend but I have one question currently about my motor's position. I can't seem to get the boat to plane so I've moved the battery and trolling motor as seen in the pictures. My question is... Is the motor sitting to low? The cavitation plate is currently about 3 inches below the transom as best I can tell from the measurements.

The transom measured right at 15.5 and the motor is a 1956 Johnson seahorse 10 qd-17r it measured 18.5 from top of transom to cavitation plate

That is a long shaft motor that you will need to raise the cavatation plate to within 1 inch of the bottom of the boat to get the best performance of the motor. And painting the prop would help the looks of it. By the way what size is the motor? Year? Ect?

Thank guys I think I got it figured out. From what I've been able to find out its a short shaft and that OMC didn't make long shafts till 1957 and thet designated them with an L in the model number. Mine is a 1956 Johnson seahorse 10hp model # QD-17R. The water intake is above the cavitation plate on it and in order to keep it under water the motor has to set like it is and the upper joint has a small plate around it and it sets about 1/2 an inch above the bottom of the hull so hopefully it works out

Latest posts