1976 Crestliner Centennial Edition

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericman

Reaction score
Customer boat. Just a paint job. Here's the before pictures

Attachments

• before1.jpg
    before1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,654
  • before2.jpg
    before2.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,653
  • before3.jpg
    before3.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 1,653
Here's the after pictures.

Attachments

• after4.jpg
    after4.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,652
  • after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 1,653
  • after3.jpg
    after3.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 1,652
  • after1.jpg
    after1.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 1,652
Alot of sanding, wirebrushing, jb-welding, washing, and then I rolled and tipped the blue and the white. I masked off and sprayed the red stripe. My sign guy provides the stencils for the logos and numbers and those are sprayed on.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356417#p356417 said:
ericman » Yesterday, 06:39[/url]"]Alot of sanding, wirebrushing, jb-welding, washing, and then I rolled and tipped the blue and the white. I masked off and sprayed the red stripe. My sign guy provides the stencils for the logos and numbers and those are sprayed on.

That's a nice job. I'm not sure what "tipped" means in this context. And you rolled the paint? You must have been practicing...

Rolled and tipped is you roll the paint on then drag a clean brush over the paint. Using just the tips of the bristles.

Rustoleum oil-based enamel. You absolutely have to add about 3 ounces of thinner or mineral spirits per quart, though. It's just too thick to use right off the shelf. You don't really need their marine paints, topside or otherwise. I believe their marine paint just has some sort of copper additive to deter the likes of barnacles and such from living on the surface of a boat. Durability is about the same and the marine paint can get expensive. ($30-$40 per quart vs. $8-$9 per quart for their original oil enamel) Curing time is definitely longer than automotive paints or aerosols because out of the quart, there just isn't the volatile chemicals that thin and speed the curing, but once cured, preferrably 1 week or more, it is just as durable as any factory automotive or marine paint job. I roll the paint with little 4 inch foam rollers and use just the tip of a 1 or 2 inch brush for the tight spots. Done right, you do not see brush strokes or roller paths. You get a little of that "orange peel" texturing, which is fine because that helps hide imperfections in the body work. Perfection would be a glass-like finish with zero dents, scratches, runs, brush marks, or overspray. Perfection would also be a $2500 bill from a marine dealer or body shop. Slight imperfection, being what I do, results in a bill under $1000.

If you add hardener to the paint in dries faster and is glossier but you will need a proper face mask.

Latest posts