1978 15' Fisher Marine bass boat to Center Console!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitson Metalworks

Reaction score
Ok, brand new here and wanted to show my last few weekends worth of work, kinda. I didn't take many pictures at all but its a simple boat and build. It started with the boat from a local forum someone was selling for cheap in OK shape. It had what I was looking for being aluminum with a running johnson 35, also a 78.
boat5.jpg
I gutted it completely, took out the waterlogged foam floor and dirt-clogged carpet, a dead rodent of some type and plenty of sticks, leaves and roaches. I found three drain plugs, I guess when one fell they just bought a new one rather than stick a hand down there... I've always been a center console fan and prefer to stand while driving a boat so I had the idea of making a small console for this one. So I bought a sheet of 5052 5/32" aluminum.
boat2.jpg
And had to build myself a simple brake, or is it break??
boat1.jpg
Made up a cardboard model of what I was after and started tracing it onto the aluminum. I cut it out with a circular saw and started to bend it up.
boat3.jpg
From there it was a bunch of tig practice as I work with steel and this was my first aluminum adventure. I'll update with more and better pictures but here is what it looks like right now.
boat4.jpg
boat6.jpg
boat7.jpg
I was able to reuse the controls and cables after taking them apart, cleaning and lubing everything, even the teleflex steering cable feels new, AND they fit with the new console!! I added a lowrance elite 4 dsi and some recessed led courtesy lights into the console to illuminate the deck while hitting the dock lights at night time. Took it out the other night with me (170lb) and my brother (190lb) and a full cooler and it topped out at 25 which felt pretty good to me!