1979 FM160 16' sea nymph (1658) (UPDATED WITH PICS)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i tried to make up a wiring diagram but it was just mess of red and black lines on a page. i wired everything up except the speakers for the radio. i found an old power inverter and stole the buss bar out of it. with a little mod it works fine. i bought 4 light up switches @ $4 a piece. one of the was junk and nearly fried everything. jumping the fuse with a screwdriver is a bad idea. the ground for the switch (to make it light up) was contacting the power inside the switch. so i have my running lights on one, fish finder and radio on one, live well on one, and i have a spare. i think i will be putting lights along the floor on the extra one. i will use the running lights for trucks cause they are cheap. i also have a docking light i will need to wire up. i didnt run my ground through the boat because i dont want the issues that may come with it. all the wires have been wrapped with that wire keeper stuff. it looks all nice and neat. i plan on finishing up water sealing and wrappingup loose ends tomorrow. then i have to get the trailer right. i think i came up with a cheap idea tonight but i will have to look at the trailer to see if it is possible. this plans total cost would be less than $15. doing it the "right" way would be around $100

the budget on this was shot from the start. i was hoping to have 5-700 but instead i am right at $200. i think i have done pretty good with having so little in it. looking at the before pictures i can even believe it is the same boat. so what do you guys think? anything i missed? (other than carpet and flotation)

Man this boat is great looks awesome cant wait to see the finished product with carpet. V-bottoms are tougher then flat bottoms to fix up. How did you make the floor flat.. I am trying to work out methods of doing mine right now, it is a pain but i guess i should of thought of that before i bought the boat. Also the livewell is perfect and exactly what id like to incorporate on my 15 foot V-bottom can you give me a step by step how to set it up as I am new to this and I am using a cooler.

Queencitybassman said:
Man this boat is great looks awesome cant wait to see the finished product with carpet. V-bottoms are tougher then flat bottoms to fix up. How did you make the floor flat.. I am trying to work out methods of doing mine right now, it is a pain but i guess i should of thought of that before i bought the boat. Also the livewell is perfect and exactly what id like to incorporate on my 15 foot V-bottom can you give me a step by step how to set it up as I am new to this and I am using a cooler.
with the floor i just made sure the bend was facing up and sat my fat rear on it while i secured it to the ribs. there is still 1 spot that sets a little higher but im hoping it will even out with time. the LW can be done many different ways. mine is the easiest (and cheapest) way.

first i cut a piece of pond hose the length of the LW plus enough to reach the bilge pump. then i zip tied it to the height i wanted it. then i put a plastic plug in the end of the "spray bar".then i zip tied a piece of steel to the bottom of the bilge (if not it will float up). i keep 15ft of hose in the hatch next to it. when i want to fill it, i unhook the "spray bar" hose from from the bilge then attatch the long hose. i can drop it over the side and hold the hose over the LW to fill. then i do the opposite to empty.

IF i had the money i would have done it right. there are a ton of ways to do it better just check out youtube or google "homemade livewells"

i cant wait to check out your build. keep up updated

Awesome Job. cant wait to see your boat finished.

i was wondering though, you removed all the foam and didn't replace it? isn't that vital to the boat?
I've also seen other projects that people removed the seats to create a flat deck like your and others warn about removing the bench. The bench is a crucial part of the boats structure and keeps the boat from folding in half creating a "Jaws" trap.

Don't mean to be negative, just thinking saftey.

planning on carpeting?

flipte said:
Awesome Job. cant wait to see your boat finished.

i was wondering though, you removed all the foam and didn't replace it? isn't that vital to the boat?
I've also seen other projects that people removed the seats to create a flat deck like your and others warn about removing the bench. The bench is a crucial part of the boats structure and keeps the boat from folding in half creating a "Jaws" trap.

Don't mean to be negative, just thinking saftey.

planning on carpeting?
foam is coming asap. the little bit that was in there wasnt doing anything. right now i fish an electric only lake so it would take a huge mistake for her to take on water. there were never benches on this boat. sea nymph used side lockers to sturdy the hull. as for carpeting, i will be getting the home depot indoor outdoor that they stock at the store (not the grass stuff). it is $.54 a sq ft. i am just waiting till i have the extra cash to do it. hopefully it will all be done soon.

Awesome!
Wasn't sure just wanted to make sure u stayed safe!

Have you tested it on the water?

flipte said:
Awesome!
Wasn't sure just wanted to make sure u stayed safe!

Have you tested it on the water?
she hasnt been on the water yet. i still have to get my trailer right.
the radio is a good old fashioned TAPE deck. someday i will be able to afford a fancy "CD" player. my neighbor may be selling me the extras i need for the trailer. till then im stuck bank fishing

well, i got the bunks finished up. no pics yet though. the company i work for makes semi trailers. since i work in the FAB department i get "scrap" aluminum at scrap price. i cut 1/4"x2"x2" angle for bunk mounts. we shear up UHMW for one part so i took the 24" strips and made full length "EZ- GLIDE" strips. i just have to wire up the trolling motor and get out there. ........more to come soon (just bought my first house so im going to be a little busy)

rasmotherman said:
i just thought about how easy you flat bottom guys have it. getting a flat floor on that bow was such a pain. you guys can just slap some ply down and you are done. also my sides flare out so i had to cut an angle on everything to get rid of the gaps.

LOL - I have the same boat and the same problem. Kind of wish I had gotten a jon boat after doing the front deck. Still have to lay plywood too.

dyeguy1212 said:
im falling behind i know. new job, buying a home, and 3 little girls under the age of 6, has my schedule pretty packed. i will get more pics before i start the carpet. sorry guys

okay im taking her to the lake tomorrow. i will bring the camera. maybe make a little video. main goal is to see how she floats. if it goes well i will try to do some fishing. wish me luck guys.

welllll hellllo guys. not much has happened since my last post besides a new roof, insulation, floors, and drywall. throw in a few others like a hot water tank and you will get the picture. most of that is on hold untill winter so that got me thinking boat. i only took it out the one time this year and she filled up with water. from the PO beaching the boat, he wore out the alum in the front. it isnt really visable but there are tiny pin holes that, once i took the foam out, are providing a steady stream of water in the boat. i happen to work at a company that builds aluminum flatbed and tanker trailers so i will get that welded up when we slow down this winter. the carpet is going in this weekend. i will also be plumbing in a permanent LW. im not real happy with the current set up. she is a little heavy in the bow so i want to move the batteries to the back and find a 9.9 to throw on it. thats about it. more to come...

okay tons of work done. she is ready for the water except for some cosmetic stuff. i used to be half owner of this boat but that wasnt very satisfying for many reasons so i bougt out my father in laws half. she got a little beat up due to a leaky roof. this is what i had to start out with this yearwhere i left off.jpg