1981 12' Alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After using the bench seats for a while, I decided to redo the interior of the boat. I framed the entire front in with 2" aluminum angle and then used 1"x8" boards across the width where the seats were to support the upper deck. Its also supported lengthwise down the middle from the bow to the battery compartment with the aluminum channel. The lower deck is mounted directly onto the ribs running across the bottom. Upper deck is 1/2" plywood and the rest is 3/8". The upper deck is completely open underneath for storage. I will add a flush mount seat base (it will actually bolt directly onto the frame where the old front seat used to sit). This seat is going to have the 6 inch offset pedestal to allow for extra room for whoever is up there. There will be another base over the battery compartment that can be used while underway or in rough waters.

The port quarter box has a door which can open up allowing access to all the electrical connections. The door has a switch panel mounted on it. Also in this box will be the rear lights, trolling motor plug, and maybe a speaker. From this box I have run a piece of electrical conduit to the center of the boat. I built a battery compartment here (look at the newer wood on upper deck) that has enough room for two batteries plus two small storage areas for important things (maps, emergency kit, keys, etc). The conduit then runs from this cabinet under the front deck to the electrical connections in the bow. Here i will have trolling motor plug and a power outlet. I also plan to use the power wire on the truck's trailer wiring to charge the batteries in the boat whenever the truck is running. The conduit allows me pull more wires in the future without much hassle.

the starboard quarter box currently has two cup holders. i built it because i was going crazy not having the boat symmetrical. I have been trying to figure out if there is anything I can do with that starboard box that would make it more useful. I was thinking about adding a rod holder to both back boxes but that will wait until after i have seats installed. I am also going to run a piece of plywood from the rear box to the front deck on both sides. Here I will just have elastic netting to store odd items in.

I am planning to seal the interior then paint it a light grey. The decking will be treated then wrapped in navy blue carpet. I am going to paint the exterior but have no figured out colors or teh design yet.

stern view.jpg

starboard box.jpg

port box.jpg

port box completed.jpg

front deck.jpg

floor in progress.jpg

bow support.jpg

bow electrical.jpg

boat.jpg

Good start. You might want to make room in there somewhere for flotation foam. (Someone had to say it! 8) )

I hadnt thought of foam when i first built it. Though now I am trying to figure out where to put it. I calculated the amount of foam I will need wrong so now I need to redo that also. Lots of places I fish are several hundred feet of water 100 yards from the shore so i feel foam is a good idea.

Looking good. Liking the woodwork. I am hoping by the weekend to get my woodwork started.

I like the electrical stuff and the switches. How many things do you plan on having hooked up to it?

I have an electrical diagram I can import later. 6 gauge from from trolling motor plug to battery compartment then another 6 gauge to the back trolling motor plug. Also if I can fit/afford it I will run a 6 gauge to the back for the switch panel. Then 14 gauge for navigation lights, led strip lights for the interior, front 12v accessory plug, and fish finder. I am going to pull an extra set of wires each direction in case i ever want to add anything in the future. I will also have one extra switch for something. The bilge will plug into the accessory plug. That way when I need it I can use it. Whenever I am not using a gas motor and only going to be trolling I will just add a second battery in the back for the trolling motor.

I was going to add a stereo but i bought a portable set of speakers from my ipod. They have batteries and I can always plug them into the accessory plug.

I just got 8- 7.2 aH 12v batteries for free and can get as many more as I want. I am trying to think how I could incorporate these. Two of them could run the lights for a night so they may get connected in there. (Maybe a switch so if I am fishing at night I can switch to the little batteries but any other time I can run off the main battery) I have heard of guys using the little batteries to run their trolling motors (on low) to get back to the dock so I will keep one in there for emergencies. Any ideas on what to use them for? Keep in mind, 7 of them weighs as much as a normal battery but only provide half the amp hours.

I think that being able to open that door will help tremendously if I ever have problem or want to add anything. It opens maybe 120 degrees.

After looking at other boats on here I am going to redo the back floor. I was rushing when i put it in and didnt plan for drainage. I like when other people have left the floors hinged or removable so that is my plan. That way I have access to every inch of the bottom for repairs/tightening rivets/cleaning/etc. Plus I already lost several screw, bolts, and even a couple tools under the current floor.

On another note, I was looking at other projects and noticed some people had longer boards on the outside of their transom. Would this help to strengthen the transom some? Also, what is the best wood to use for here. I was contemplating buying a long cutting board and installing it here. It will outlast the boat and can take a beating. (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Thick-White-NSF-Cutting-Board/dp/B001DI5VCA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1328857497&sr=8-4)

Now that I am working on the boat again I thought I'd update this page.

With the mild winter I pulled the boat out and started altering my design. :roll: I started with the floor. The old floor was screwed straight to the supports running across the boat which not only created a curved floor, but it stopped up water drainage. So I used 1x2s and a 2x2 mounted to the ribs to level and raise the floor. While climbing in and out I realized the boat flexed a LOT more than I liked. So I decided to run side boxes the length of the boat to tie the sides together. I got lucky and founds some 6 inch by 10 ft pieces of diamond plate which worked beautifully for these boxes. I also built a bow box with storage for tackle boxes, cup holders, and an area for all the trolling motor plug plus a 12v accessory outlet. About this time winter showed up and the boat was stored in its shed for a few months.

During that time I got anxious so I pulled out several boat motors my dad has (6 hp Johnson, 18 hp evinrude, and 15 hp mariner) to see how much work they each needed. I decided to go with 6 hp for now to keep down the weight and because the motor is in excellent condition. A crab kit, some random orings/gaskets, and an afternoon trying to not freeze in the garage had it running. That lit the fire. So I got online and pulled out the checkbook. Ordered a new switch panel, 3 gallon gas tank, 16 ft of LED strip lights, 30 ft of carpet (with which I got a complete seat pedestal for FREE!! :D ), and some misc pieces. Then after several trips to my hoarder dad's garage I scored all the wire I would need, cleats, lights, ropes, anchors, rod savers, a fish finder, then a bunch of oddball stuff. Throw bass pro, gander mountain, ace, home depot, and autozone I got trolling motor plugs, 12v accessory plugs, bus bars, 50 amp auto breaker, wire, everything for the electrical.

This is where I am at now. It has been dumping snow lately so all this stuff has just been waiting. I started working on the trailer today while the weather wasnt too cold. Since I am running power from the truck to the boat to charge batteries while traveling, wiring is a little more difficult. I am also looking to widen the axle, rewire the entire trailer, replace the rollers with bunks, and add guides to the sides. However tomorrow's plan is to spend the day gluing on carpet. I'll update with pictures as I get further along.

Carb float, no wonder the guy i got it from said it didnt run! Oh well, it was a free motor for me!! :D
20130407_152425.jpg

the front deck. Green carpet is door to storage area (under deck is wide open). Then at the bottom fo the picture is the battery box.
20130418_175337.jpg

The framing
20130418_184805.jpg

Port box, that opening will become storage with elastic netting across the front for shoving coats and other stuff into
IMAG0807.jpg

Starboard box, all the electrical will run here. Aslo built in a storage area for the fire extinguisher
IMAG0809.jpg

Front deck with offset seat installed.
IMAG0808.jpg

Its done and I love it!!! :D Need I say more?! I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Ask questions if you have any.

20130424173259.jpg

I call it battle ship grey. It is the perfect color.

20130424173317.jpg

20130424173323.jpg

20130424183050.jpg

20130430131913.jpg

20130504173632.jpg

That orange wire in the bow is a wire from the trailer. It connects into the trolling motor plug and charges the batteries.

20130504173640.jpg

Even with trying not to I still managed to screw up which way the carpet grains go. But its hardly noticeable after being vacuumed.

20130430141458.jpg

The most important part, the cover. It'll be trailerable once I get some supports built.

She's been out once and I couldnt ask for better. :D With two 250 pound guys it had no issues, even road plenty high in the water. Only hit 6 mph but the motor couldn't get close to full revs because (as I found out on the water) the "fuel line" from the local parts store was actually a vacuum line and would collapse when it got warm. :roll: At least I didnt have to row to the ramp. Everything is fixed and I am headed out tomorrow. I will be sure to get some pictures.

@hunterfishercamper, thanks for posting the tip about extension cords. I was just fixing to go to the HW store for wire, but decided to catch up on everyone's builds while drinking some Joe when I noticed this post. Saved me a trip brother, thanks!

I guess I will update this with some issues I have run into.

The boat is awesome. I couldn't be happier. It is extremely stable. I have no problems walking around in it and even with two people standing it still feels fine. The only problems I have run into are that the boat is difficult to run with only one person. With the battery in the middle and the fuel pushed in front of me I still have a hard time bringing the bow down while running wot. Also I only temporarily wired it by just using wire nuts. I was planning on rewiring in the fall before storing for winter. Well water got where it shouldnt and when I connected the trailer to the truck, it blew the 30 amp fuse for the power wire. It also fried my trailer brake controller and remote start system (all connect to the same aux power stud). So with this long weekend I plan to work on rewiring and making the boat 100% waterproof.

I recently got a 1990 model 15hp motor that is pristine condition. The only problem was a little gummed fuel in the carb. This winter I plan on rebuilding the carb, new fuel pump, and changing the prop since I live at a mile high.

Finally I fixed up the trailer. New bottom bunks, new guides, painted everything glossy black, new led lights (back and side markers). Also installed a transom saver to help support the boat motor while it bounces around on our horrible Colorado roads. I put a link to the photo below.

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/srnk.jpg/

Latest posts