1988 mecury 100hp ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1436delta

Reaction score
:?: #-o HEY EVERYBODY I AM LOOKING AT BOAT THAT HAS 1988 100HP MECURY THE MAN THAT HAS IT SIAD IT RUN REAL STRONG BUT AFTER 15OR20 MIN IT STARTS TO MISS HE THINKS I CHECK THE COMP IT HAS 132 PSI ON ALL FOUR CYL WHAT DO U GUYS THINK IT MIGHT BE OR HAS ANYBODY HAD THIS PROBLEM THANKS I NEED SOME HELP ONLY HAD 1 MECURY IN MY LIFE IT WAS 150HP ON A BASS BOAT #-o

OK I GOT SOME INFO TODAY WELL MY WIFE DID THAT IS WHY I LOVE HER SO ! WHERE WE ARE YOU CAN GET ONLINE WITH THE PUBLIC LIBRAEY LOOK AT ALL THE UPDATED SERVICE MANUALS =D> SO WHAT I FOUND OUT IS THAT I CAN TEST THE STATOR WITH A REG METER BUT THE SWITCH BOX AND COILS HAVE TO BE TEST WITH QUICKSILVER THOUNDERBOLT IGNITION ANALYZER AND I DONT HAVE ONE THOSE HAHA ! IN THE SER MAN IT SIAD THAT THIS OUTBOARD RUN ON 2 CYL UNDER 1800RPMS BYE THE CARB METERING SO I DONT THINK I AM GOING TO BE ABLE TO RUN ON THE WATERHOSE AND GET IT WARM SO THAT IT WOULD MISS BECAUSE IT COULD BE ONE OF THE CYL THAT DO NOT FIRE UNDER 1800RPMS #-o THE GUY GAVE ME A TOTAL ING SET UP HE BOUGHT OFF ANOTHER OUTBOARD AND HE CHANGED THE SWITCH BOX BUT STILL DOES THE SAMETHING SO DO YOU FELLAS HAVE ANY IDEALS WHAT I SHOULD CHANGE OR DO :?:

WELL DID SOME TEST TODAY THIS IS WHAT I GOT. I GOT ONE COIL THAT WHEN I PUT ONE LEAD IN WHERE THE PLUG WIRE GOES AND THE OTHER TO THE + OR - I GET NOTHING AND THE SERVICE MANUAL SAYS THAT IS BAD OTHER THREE IS GOOD #-o THE 2ND THING THAT I FOUND IS ON THE TRIGGER THE ONE TEST I DID I DONT HAVE ANY OHMS READING AT ALL AND I SHOULD HAVE 700-1000 OHMS BUT I HAVE NOTHING THERE SO THE MANUAL SIAD IT BAD AN TO REPLACE IT #-o THE STATOR TEST WENT GOOD I HAD ONE PART THAT WAS A LITTLE HIGH BUT I THINK I FORGOT TO 0 MY METER AND IT TEST OUT OK =D> I WOULD KIND LIKE TO KNOW WHAT U GUYS WOULD DO WOULD YOU REPLACE THE TRIGGER AND COIL AND CALL IT GOOD BECAUSE IT IS 63* TODAY AND I THINK THIS IS GOING TO BE THE LAST DAY THAT WE WILL GET WARM WEATHER :lol:

Not saying it isn't true but I've never heard of a older motor only running on 2 below a certain RPM.
Like I said in the beginning its hard to trouble shoot electrical on a Merc.I would go with what tests bad or the cheap stuff & work up to the expensive stuff.At least the electrical will be new & so it won't give you any trouble in the further.
The compression is good on the motor isn't it?You don't plan on getting rid of it?Those are things I would consider before sticking alot of money in the motor.
If it was mine I'd throw away the electronic s--t and put a magneto on it.Yes that can be done.
Good luck

crazymanme2 said:
Not saying it isn't true but I've never heard of a older motor only running on 2 below a certain RPM.
Like I said in the beginning its hard to trouble shoot electrical on a Merc.I would go with what tests bad or the cheap stuff & work up to the expensive stuff.At least the electrical will be new & so it won't give you any trouble in the further.
The compression is good on the motor isn't it?You don't plan on getting rid of it?Those are things I would consider before sticking alot of money in the motor.
If it was mine I'd throw away the electronic s--t and put a magneto on it.Yes that can be done.
Good luck
WELL SIR HOW DO I DO THAT I AM UP FOR THAT IF I CANT GET IT RIGHT #-o YES IT HAS GOOD COMPRESSION 135 ON ALL CYL I TESTED THE STUFF THE GUY GIVE ME AND THE STATOR TEST BAD AND SO DID THE TRIGGER ASSEMBLY COILS ARE CHEAP SO I WILL GET ALL 4 OF THEM THE TRIGGER THEY SHOW MUST BE A [FIT ALL ]TYPE THAT IS AFTERMARKET THE RUNNING ON 2 CYL IS ONLY 100-115HP IN 1988 TO 1990 FROM WHAT THE MANUAL SAYS

I have a 1995, 125 Mariner its design to run on just two clyinders while idling and when you give it the gas the other 2 clyinders kick in. I have had to replace the original black stator with a red one and after a couple of years the red started to give me problems so I replaced it with a stator that is not incased in plastic cover the coils are exposed. Its made by CDI Electronics. the motor would run good for a while and then just kill while it was idling after it sat for about 30 minutes the motor start right up,run for a while and then kill again after it sat for 30 minutes start right up....had no problems with high speed. A mechanic told me the stator has a low end and a high end speeds, maybe the problem could be in the high end.

That's why I like the 70's an older Mercs.I just take the electronics off & put a mag on.Much less problems, and if you do, alot eaiser to trouble shoot.

THANKS RICK50 FOR THE INFO CDI ELECTRONICS IS VERY GOOD SOURCE OF PARTS THEY SHOW A STATOR FOR MY OUTBOARD BUT LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE OUT OF IT REALLY THEY SHOTW TWO SO I WILL TRY TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM THEY ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT I CAN FIND THAT SHOWES A TRIGGER ASSY FOR IT SIERRE MARINE SHOWS ONE BUT THE PIC IN THE BOOK IS NOT LIKE MINE THE ADVANCE ARM IS IN WRONG SPOT IT SHOULD BE ACROSS FROM THE WIRING HARNESS I THINK I AM GOING TO TAKE CRAZYMANS INFO TO OND GO ONE STEP FARTHER AND REPLACE EVERYTHING THEN I WILL KNOW IT ALL GOOD IT IS A LOT OF MONEY BUT WHEN U ARE ON THE RIVER AND BROKE DOWN THAT WOULD SUCK AND THE WIFE WOULD BE VERY UP SET :p

Attachments

• 134-9021-4.jpg
    134-9021-4.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 559
  • 18-5873.jpg
    18-5873.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 559
The red stator your showing on the last post is the one I just replaced, I wouldn t go near that one, just my opinion.

I know how it is to be broke down in the middle of nowhere. I just came back from a fishing trip with another problem...engine was making a lot of noise when I put it in reverse, come to find out the bearing carrier was cracked on the lower unit..

rick50 said:
The red stator your showing on the last post is the one I just replaced, I wouldn t go near that one, just my opinion.

I know how it is to be broke down in the middle of nowhere. I just came back from a fishing trip with another problem...engine was making a lot of noise when I put it in reverse, come to find out the bearing carrier was cracked on the lower unit..
ARE YOU HAVING GOOD LUCK OUT OF THE ONE U GOT FROM CDI ELECTRONICS :?:

So far so good.....

I don t know if it was the stator making the depth finder freeze up the screen or not, but the last few times I have been out since I replaced the stator with the new cdi stator the depth finder has been working good.

I TALKED TO THE GUY CDI AND HE HAD ME TRY A TEST ON MY TRIGGER IT IS BAD IT FAILED THE TEST HE GAVE ME . BUT KNOW I AME HAVING HARD TIME FINDIND ANYBODY THAT HAS IT IN STOCK THE STATOR OR THE TRIGGER THE MAN AT CDI SAYS HE WILL SELL BUT AT LIST [-X AND THAT IS TO RICH FOR MY BLOOD :wink: IF ANYBODY KNOWS WHERE TO GET CDI ELECTRONICS LET ME KNOW THANKS

OK PARTS ON ORDER HAD TO GET FROM TWO PLACES BUT THEY SHOULD BE GOOD STUFF FROM CDI 8) ORDER THE COILS AND SWITH BOX AND RECTIFIER FROM WORK TODAY ALL IN ALL IT SHOULD BE READY TO GO :| :|

HEY TRIED TO PULL THE FLYWHEEL TODAY BUT NO LUCK ! BEEN COLD HERE AND I CANT STAND THE COLD ANYMORE LIKE I COULD WHEN I WAS 20 HAHA ! DID LEARN SOMTHING YOU CAN NOT PULL THIS FLYWHEEL WITH A THREE JAW PULLER U HAVE TO HAVE A FLYWHEEL PULLER LIKE THE ONE I PUT IN THE PIC SO IF SOMEBODY HAS THIS YEAR OUTBOARD I WILL PUT THIS IN THERE BECAUSE U WILL BREAK THIS FLYWHEEL WITH OUT IT !!!! I WISH I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS I WOULD HAVE ORDER ONE WITH MY PARTS #-o #-o #-o #-o

1436delta said:
HEY TRIED TO PULL THE FLYWHEEL TODAY BUT NO LUCK ! BEEN COLD HERE AND I CANT STAND THE COLD ANYMORE LIKE I COULD WHEN I WAS 20 HAHA ! DID LEARN SOMTHING YOU CAN NOT PULL THIS FLYWHEEL WITH A THREE JAW PULLER U HAVE TO HAVE A FLYWHEEL PULLER LIKE THE ONE I PUT IN THE PIC SO IF SOMEBODY HAS THIS YEAR OUTBOARD I WILL PUT THIS IN THERE BECAUSE U WILL BREAK THIS FLYWHEEL WITH OUT IT !!!! I WISH I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS I WOULD HAVE ORDER ONE WITH MY PARTS #-o #-o #-o #-o
WELL I CANT GET THE PIC TO POST BUT IF U GOOGLE MERCURY FLYWHEEL PULLER U WILL SEE IT! :x :x

In the top of my flywheel I have three tapped holes, I used them to pull fly wheel off, with an impact and the gear puller, and a little penetrating oil, it wasn t easy....that was before I knew they had threads on the fly wheel its self.

Latest posts