1989 Johnson Tracker 25hp electric start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karla

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1989 Bass Tracker w/25hp Johnson. I have changed plugs new fuel tank hose with bulb. Also oil in lower unit. I can't get it to run. Or stay running. It's like it's not getting fuel to carburetor. Any ideas what I need to do next? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Karla

You have an electric primer on this engine instead of a choke system. This requires a different starting procedure.
Pump the bulb until firm, turn the key to the on position and push the key in and simultaneously turn the key to start. When the key switch is pushed in you are activating the primer system and pressurized fuel should flow to both small fuel hoses and into the engine. As long as the key switch is pushed in the primer will feed fuel to the engine so be careful with it until you get used to it. Near the top of your carburetor in the front of it there should be a knob. This is a mixture knob for low speed operation. Make note of where it is now and then turn counter clockwise a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to richen the mixture a bit. If the engine starts like it should then return the knob to where you found it. Your bulb will never remain firm. It is on the suction side of the fuel pump. When you hear this from someone who is trying to help you......run.
Try this procedure and lets go from there. No need to turn key off and back on like you were told in another forum. Also no need for a PM. We can deal with your issue in here and others can learn along the way if they want.

You have an electric primer on this engine instead of a choke system. This requires a different starting procedure.
Pump the bulb until firm, turn the key to the on position and push the key in and simultaneously turn the key to start. When the key switch is pushed in you are activating the primer system and pressurized fuel should flow to both small fuel hoses and into the engine. As long as the key switch is pushed in the primer will feed fuel to the engine so be careful with it until you get used to it. Near the top of your carburetor in the front of it there should be a knob. This is a mixture knob for low speed operation. Make note of where it is now and then turn counter clockwise a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to richen the mixture a bit. If the engine starts like it should then return the knob to where you found it. Your bulb will never remain firm. It is on the suction side of the fuel pump. When you hear this from someone who is trying to help you......run.
Try this procedure and lets go from there. No need to turn key off and back on like you were told in another forum. Also no need for a PM. We can deal with your issue in here and others can learn along the way if they want.
Thank you I will try this first thing in the morning. I'm going to take a picture of the motor also & include it. I'm afraid I maybe missing that mixture knob your talking about.Thank you for taking the time to answer me. I will let you know what happens in the morning. Thanks again

The second picture I'm missing the knob your descripting.It does have something inside the hole that flat head screw driver will turn.I didn't mess with it this morning but will when I get home today. It's 1989 Johnson 25hp. Think you had 1988.Was afraid that yr would make a difference.

Attachments

• 20230710_112308.jpg
    20230710_112308.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230710_112241.jpg
    20230710_112241.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230710_112223.jpg
    20230710_112223.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 2
Yep in this case it does indeed make a difference. What you have in the top front is an idle air bleed. Just leave that alone.
Back along the left or starboard side of the carburetor will be the idle mixture adjustment screw. Will have a spring around it and be behind that vertical rod.
That will do the same thing. Richen it a 1/4 to half turn then try starting. You can re-adjust back again once running.

Yep in this case it does indeed make a difference. What you have in the top front is an idle air bleed. Just leave that alone.
Back along the left or starboard side of the carburetor will be the idle mixture adjustment screw. Will have a spring around it and be behind that vertical rod.
That will do the same thing. Richen it a 1/4 to half turn then try starting. You can re-adjust back again once running.
It ran longer today than it ever has after I turned the knob. But then it died and couldn't get it to start again. Should I change the fuel lines on it?I hate to sound stupid. But where would the fuel filter be on this motor? I can't locate one anywhere. I have a manual ordered but it hasn't arrived yet. Thank you for all the information you have given me.When I turned the knob it started on first turn od the key..That makes me think we are on right track. Still acts like it isn't getting enough fuel.Thanks Karla

No need to change anything before it gets going. Are you still listening to suggestions from other sites?
When you pump the bulb you are filling the fuel bowl. When the engine starts the fuel pump should take over and do this for you.
Filling the fuel bowl is all the engine should require. The carburetor should do the rest as long as the carb is clean, bowl stays full and the pump is working. Your carb may need to be removed and rebuilt but we haven't quite gotten to that point yet.
When it died tell me how long it ran first? Did you pump the bulb again after it died to see if that made a difference in re starting? The more and the more accurate information you can give the better off we can guide you.

No need to change anything before it gets going. Are you still listening to suggestions from other sites?
When you pump the bulb you are filling the fuel bowl. When the engine starts the fuel pump should take over and do this for you.
Filling the fuel bowl is all the engine should require. The carburetor should do the rest as long as the carb is clean, bowl stays full and the pump is working. Your carb may need to be removed and rebuilt but we haven't quite gotten to that point yet.
When it died tell me how long it ran first? Did you pump the bulb again after it died to see if that made a difference in re starting? The more and the more accurate information you can give the better off we can guide you.
No Sir not listening to anyone else. Learnt my lesson on that.It ran for probably 40seconds. Usually it will turn over start for second or two then die. When I bought the boat the guy said pump the bulb,shoot it with starting fluid a couple times and it will start. It might turn over but will not run for over 20 seconds. Last wkend I had someone at the motor as long as they were moving the lever to race motor up it would run plus maybe a little starting fluid. But besides bot being good for the motor, that isn't going to work if I'm by myself on the lake. Can't be up by the key to start it and be back at the motor. It has never started with the cover on this motor.Yes I did go back and pump the bulb up again but it was full. So didn't do anything but walk back to the ingition nothing. Shot it with little starting fluid it did start but like I said front of carburetor was dry. I took screw out of front of carburetor there was very little gas in it. I don't think it's getting enough gas. Guy I bought it from said he had had boat out once this year and had trouble keeping it running. I'm starting to think he never had it running.lol I'm going to be gone till this wkend. What do you suggest I do first?Moving the knob with the spring on it made a world of difference. It actually idled by itself. Normally someone would have to be at motor moving the piece by carburetor to idle it up. But I was by myself and it actually run by itself sounded better to me.I have the muffs on the motor I don't have it in a barrel don't guess that makes a difference.Does it? Thank you again for taking the time to help me with this motor. I have 3 nephews that love to fish. Have trolling motor on the boat but would like to have motor working before we take it out. But I do appreciate all you help and advice.Just let me know what you think I should do next. Have a good day. Thanks Karla

I don't know a lot. Following this thread to get a bit more educated. Been in similar situation and it turned out to be a bad coil that worked until it got warmed up then quit. Sounds to me like your fuel pump isn't doing the job. I also think there is a screen under the cover on the fuel pump that may be dirty? I'm sure if I got it wrong Pappy will chime in to tell me so.

I don't know a lot. Following this thread to get a bit more educated. Been in similar situation and it turned out to be a bad coil that worked until it got warmed up then quit. Sounds to me like your fuel pump isn't doing the job. I also think there is a screen under the cover on the fuel pump that may be dirty? I'm sure if I got it wrong Pappy will chime in to tell me so.
Thank you. He has helped me alot so far. Hopefully we can get it running. I have a manual ordered but it still hasn't come in.I don't know alot myself. But ready need the manual to get here. At least then I would know what I'm looking for or what it looks like. But thank you very much.

Lets call the knob with the spring under it the mixture screw because...well... thats what it is.
Believe I asked you to richen it (counter clockwise) 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Lets do this again and start the engine.
This should tell us that the carb is probably dirty but again, one step at a time.
Now, since your carb is open at the front I want you to do something for me at the point the engine wants to slow and stall.
Take your first and second fingers and turn them around so the backs of them are facing the carb opening and just lightly block the opening momentarily and see if the engine pics back up. Practice it before you start the engine. You will feel a definite "pull" on the backs of your fingers but don't worry.....it won't swallow your fingers!

Last edited:
Lets call the knob with the spring under it the mixture screw because...well... thats what it is.
Believe I asked you to richen it (counter clockwise) 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Lets do this again and start the engine.
This should tell us that the carb is probably dirty but again, one step at a time.
Now, since your carb is open at the front I want you to do something for me at the point the engine wants to slow and stall.
Take your first and second fingers and turn them around so the backs of them are facing the carb opening and just lightly block the opening momentarily and see if the engine pics back up. Practice it before you start the engine. You will feel a definite "pull" on the backs of your fingers but don't worry.....it won't swallow your fingers!
That will be the first thing I do when I get home Saturday. So turn it again 1/4 to 1/2 turn then start the engine. Ok will let you know what happens.Thank you again so much!

Pappy is the man when it comes to this stuff.

Only thing I would add to the conversation is to ask if you have checked the compression and spark to make sure they are adequate?