1989 Johnson Tracker 25hp electric start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets call the knob with the spring under it the mixture screw because...well... thats what it is.
Believe I asked you to richen it (counter clockwise) 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Lets do this again and start the engine.
This should tell us that the carb is probably dirty but again, one step at a time.
Now, since your carb is open at the front I want you to do something for me at the point the engine wants to slow and stall.
Take your first and second fingers and turn them around so the backs of them are facing the carb opening and just lightly block the opening momentarily and see if the engine pics back up. Practice it before you start the engine. You will feel a definite "pull" on the backs of your fingers but don't worry.....it won't swallow your fingers!
Hey sorry I have been gone for awhile. Had a family member ill.I'm fixing to go outside and try working on my motor again. Someone ask about spark. Yes it does have spark. I bought a tester to be sure. Bought at Auto zone where it blinks steady or not.Fixing to try putting my fingers up to opening and then try to start it. The last time I tried to start it. The opening felt dry to me. But we will see what happens this time. When I had the test light on it,the sun was sort of in my eyes I put my hand a little to close and you know what happened! Lol Yes it got me.I won't do that No more. Have a question. I know this sounds stupid but does this motor have a fuel filter on it? My manual still hasn't come in. Should have been here last week. Thanks for all your help. Would love to get this boat in the water and do some fishing.

Hey sorry I have been gone for awhile. Had a family member ill.I'm fixing to go outside and try working on my motor again. Someone ask about spark. Yes it does have spark. I bought a tester to be sure. Bought at Auto zone where it blinks steady or not.Fixing to try putting my fingers up to opening and then try to start it. The last time I tried to start it. The opening felt dry to me. But we will see what happens this time. When I had the test light on it,the sun was sort of in my eyes I put my hand a little to close and you know what happened! Lol Yes it got me.I won't do that No more. Have a question. I know this sounds stupid but does this motor have a fuel filter on it? My manual still hasn't come in. Should have been here last week. Thanks for all your help. Would love to get this boat in the water and do some fishing.
Ok been working on boat motor. Ok I have gas all the way up to carburetor but then nothing.The opening of the carburetor does not have any gas inside it. So do I need to carburetor rebuild kit?

Ok been working on boat motor. Ok I have gas all the way up to carburetor but then nothing.The opening of the carburetor does not have any gas inside it. So do I need to carburetor rebuild kit?
Are you referring to the throat of the carb....where you can look inside and see the choke and throttle butterflies? I would say you probably wouldn't see much fuel there when trying to start the motor. If there is some it will be spraying from the tube protruding in the throat and be simultaneously sucked into the intake. I'm assuming your motor has a lock out feature keeping you from starting in gear and a throttle limiter keeping you from advancing the throttle too much in neutral as you start it. If you have a second set of hands, you can hold the throttle butterfly wide open and get someone else to turn the key and see if there is any fuel coming out.

As to your question on the fuel filter, most mercury 25's have a filter that mounts above the carb. It's pretty common for people to trash them though and run a line straight from the fuel pump to the carb. This usually happens when the filter bowl gets damaged and they don't have the parts on hand and then it often doesn't get fixed correctly down the line. If you dont have one you can put a small in-line mower or other small engine filter on the line somewhere. They work just fine for filtering debris they just dont offer the water separating feature that the factory filter does.

Are you referring to the throat of the carb....where you can look inside and see the choke and throttle butterflies? I would say you probably wouldn't see much fuel there when trying to start the motor. If there is some it will be spraying from the tube protruding in the throat and be simultaneously sucked into the intake. I'm assuming your motor has a lock out feature keeping you from starting in gear and a throttle limiter keeping you from advancing the throttle too much in neutral as you start it. If you have a second set of hands, you can hold the throttle butterfly wide open and get someone else to turn the key and see if there is any fuel coming out.

As to your question on the fuel filter, most mercury 25's have a filter that mounts above the carb. It's pretty common for people to trash them though and run a line straight from the fuel pump to the carb. This usually happens when the filter bowl gets damaged and they don't have the parts on hand and then it often doesn't get fixed correctly down the line. If you dont have one you can put a small in-line mower or other small engine filter on the line somewhere. They work just fine for filtering debris they just dont offer the water separating feature that the factory filter does.
OK so there shouldn't be fuel in the opening ? It will only start in Neutral it will shift into forward or reverse only when started. It's a 25hp Johnson Tracker. I think I could be wrong but there is a filter in with the electric seliond. I haven't checked it yet but was waiting on my manual it should be here by Saturday. I had to order another one. Postal service has misplaced my other one. I will take a picture tomorrow. So you can see exactly what I'm talking about. Starting to think I'm over my head with this motor. But I'm determined to try and figure this out.I know the idle adjustment screw is not right. Because it has started. But I'm thinking carburetor needs cleaned or get a kit for it.

I goofed on my post above and had it in my mind that this was a mercury and that drove my comments on the filter. I cant recall what the 35hp Johnsons had in that regard. Sorry.

Are you advancing the throttle in neutral to a fast idle when starting? If not and it pops off and dies it's just firing off on the solenoid priming it and then not pulling in any fuel on its own through the carb. I'd make sure you are at fast idle and then once it fires off it should stay running and pick up to about 3,000 rpms where you can let it run for a few seconds before backing it off back to idle to see if it will stay running.

I goofed on my post above and had it in my mind that this was a mercury and that drove my comments on the filter. I cant recall what the 35hp Johnsons had in that regard. Sorry.

Are you advancing the throttle in neutral to a fast idle when starting? If not and it pops off and dies it's just firing off on the solenoid priming it and then not pulling in any fuel on its own through the carb. I'd make sure you are at fast idle and then once it fires off it should stay running and pick up to about 3,000 rpms where you can let it run for a few seconds before backing it off back to idle to see if it will stay running.
It has 1 control lever.I start it in Neutral but no I have not been advancing g the throttle. Pappy was trying to help me get the idle adjustment screw set correctly.Will you tell me how to advance the throttle and I will try that tomorrow? I really appreciate your help with this motor. It will be after lunch before I can try this. How do you set the idle adjustment screw correctly? I know if it starts and runs it is set right. I will take a few pictures before I start. Would you agree that I should mark where it's set at now before I adjust it any?

I am up in Tomahawk Wisconsin at the moment......will get back on this when I get back at the beginning of next week....
Thank you Pappy. I thought you had forgotten about me. I was gone for over a wk with sick family member. I will finish putting my vinyl wrap on the boat till you get back with me. I hope it's cooler in Wisconsin than it is at my house today with heat index it was only 115. You have great wkend & I will look forward to hearing from you 1st of the week. Thanks Karla

It has 1 control lever.I start it in Neutral but no I have not been advancing g the throttle. Pappy was trying to help me get the idle adjustment screw set correctly.Will you tell me how to advance the throttle and I will try that tomorrow? I really appreciate your help with this motor. It will be after lunch before I can try this. How do you set the idle adjustment screw correctly? I know if it starts and runs it is set right. I will take a few pictures before I start. Would you agree that I should mark where it's set at now before I adjust it any?
I'm not very familiar with remote controls being mostly a tiller guy, but generally there are two setups I see for advancing the throttle in neutral. The one I see the most is where there is a lever on the top rear of the controls that you lift up. Pull it up all the way and leave the main throttle/shifter in the center position and it will advance the throttle while remaining in neutral. You can start the motor and then slowly lower the fast idle lever as it warms up, going all the way to the down position. This pic I googled of OMC controls is what I am referring to.

The other type of controls have a center button at the pivit point of the main control lever (would be where the circle of OMC lettering is in the pic). You depress that while pushing the lever forward and it advances the throttle cable while disconnecting the shift cable. It will automatically lock them back together to function normally once you return the lever to the centered position.

IMG_9547_5ef9bb49-6a1b-44cd-8cc0-7e13148a507f_1024x1024.JPG

I'm not very familiar with remote controls being mostly a tiller guy, but generally there are two setups I see for advancing the throttle in neutral. The one I see the most is where there is a lever on the top rear of the controls that you lift up. Pull it up all the way and leave the main throttle/shifter in the center position and it will advance the throttle while remaining in neutral. You can start the motor and then slowly lower the fast idle lever as it warms up, going all the way to the down position. This pic I googled of OMC controls is what I am referring to.

The other type of controls have a center button at the pivit point of the main control lever (would be where the circle of OMC lettering is in the pic). You depress that while pushing the lever forward and it advances the throttle cable while disconnecting the shift cable. It will automatically lock them back together to function normally once you return the lever to the centered position.

Sorry to correct you just trying to help, on the second type you must also simultaneously push up on the red button on side of shift lever while pushing inwards on center shift release button. Additionally the lever can be moved forwards or backwards to operate throttle without shifting into gear. And as stated previously once the lever is returned to center it resets to gear and throttle operation.

My boat is a stick steer. The picture above is not what I have in my boat. I don't have the lever you raise up. I have the one that stands up and key switch & the lanyard switch. I have a black push button below the throttle lever. That is it. I removed the carpet where lever is and took plastic piece off I have stick steer cable coming from back of boat and cable that goes to the throttle.If it wasn't raining I would go take a picture of it. Which I may in a minute before I send this.

View attachment 20230807_080558.mp4

Attachments

• 16914135906995741535758453333172.jpg
    16914135906995741535758453333172.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
I believe, on that control box, that you have to sort of grab the whole handle and move it out then advance it to get some throttle at idle. Give it a try and lets continue.
BTW - I rode through Arkansas last year coming back from Billings, Montana to Cen. Fla. It was brutally hot! I crossed over the Mississippi at the cross over that takes you to Dyersburg, Tenn.
BTW - Your kill switch is not connected in the photo of the con. box.

I will try that first thing in the morning. I called myself trying that last week. But will try it again.You ask me to put my fingers in front of the opening few wks ago. I got my nephew to turn key on & it did pull on my fingers and started ran as long as I adjusted the the silver lever or it was racing motor up . But when I stopped it would die.I did change the fuel tank primer bulb & hose with new gas and mixed it myself. So know for sure gas is good and mixed right.When it did start that day and I was racing motor up,next time it's started for a second then died started again then sort of popped when it died.Then decided to wait on you.lol Yes it is hot here in Arkansas. We have a heat advisory tomorrow from 10am till midnight I think. But have boat sitting in shade. I will let you know what I find out in the morning. Will also take better picture of it also. Glad your back . Thanks again for all your help. Just seen where you mentioned the kill switch. I didn't even notice about the kill switching the picture.I will check that in the morning as well.
I believe, on that control box, that you have to sort of grab the whole handle and move it out then advance it to get some throttle at idle. Give it a try and lets continue.
BTW - I rode through Arkansas last year coming back from Billings, Montana to Cen. Fla. It was brutally hot! I crossed over the Mississippi at the cross over that takes you to Dyersburg, Tenn.
BTW - Your kill switch is not connected in the photo of the con. bo

I will try that first thing in the morning. I called myself trying that last week. But will try it again.You ask me to put my fingers in front of the opening few wks ago. I got my nephew to turn key on & it did pull on my fingers and started ran as long as I adjusted the the silver lever or it was racing motor up . But when I stopped it would die.I did change the fuel tank primer bulb & hose with new gas and mixed it myself. So know for sure gas is good and mixed right.When it did start that day and I was racing motor up,next time it's started for a second then died started again then sort of popped when it died.Then decided to wait on you.lol Yes it is hot here in Arkansas. We have a heat advisory tomorrow from 10am till midnight I think. But have boat sitting in shade. I will let you know what I find out in the morning. Will also take better picture of it also. Glad your back . Thanks again for all your help. Just seen where you mentioned the kill switch. I didn't even notice about the kill switching the picture.I will check that in the morning as well.
Ok tried the lever. It doesn't move except when you push the button underneath and it's goes forward and reverse. On the kill switch it has several things that can go on the kill switch. It has one on it.I am including a few pictures. 1 is showing the lever close to the carburetor that I can race motor with. Let me know what I need to do now. Thank you

Attachments

• 20230813_124456.jpg
    20230813_124456.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_124502.jpg
    20230813_124502.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_124548.jpg
    20230813_124548.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_125052.jpg
    20230813_125052.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230813_124625.jpg
    20230813_124625.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 0
Ok tried the lever. It doesn't move except when you push the button underneath and it's goes forward and reverse. On the kill switch it has several things that can go on the kill switch. It has one on it.I am including a few pictures. 1 is showing the lever close to the carburetor that I can race motor with. Let me know what I need to do now. Thank you
Try it again. That square looking part at the base of the throttle handle. Grab that part and see if you can move it out and away from the housing and advance the throttle.
OR......possible that there (was) a button there at one time that could be pushed to allow you to advance the throttle. Not the one up where you grab the handle.

Try it again. That square looking part at the base of the throttle handle. Grab that part and see if you can move it out and away from the housing and advance the throttle.
OR......possible that there (was) a button there at one time that could be pushed to allow you to advance the throttle. Not the one up where you grab the handle.
View attachment 1000004081.mp4
OK the handle does not come out. The push button under handle I can push and move it forward and reverse. On the right of lever if you blow picture up there is a black push button. It won't start when in gear. I did order another manual tonight apparently other one got lost between Memphis Tn & my house. I tried every which way to get throttle handle to pull out or something. But it has a screw inside that open square area & it's not going anywhere but forward and that's with button underneath pushed in. But when you do that it will not do anything when go to turn key on.In last picture there on throttle base I have it circled it has screw in it. 2nd picture has a black push button which I thought was a choke.I went & took another picture of the black push button was talking about. I even pulled the carpet up around throttle and where that button is thinking maybe they covered something else up.But didn't find anything. I don't know if I'm overlooking something or it's just not there. I thought about taking it apart. It just has 1 screw in center and 1 on each corner of black plastic cover.Let me know what you think. There has to be a way to throttle it up when trying to start it. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230814_223049_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230814_223049_Chrome.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 116143

OK the handle does not come out. The push button under handle I can push and move it forward and reverse. On the right of lever if you blow picture up there is a black push button. It won't start when in gear. I did order another manual tonight apparently other one got lost between Memphis Tn & my house. I tried every which way to get throttle handle to pull out or something. But it has a screw inside that open square area & it's not going anywhere but forward and that's with button underneath pushed in. But when you do that it will not do anything when go to turn key on.In last picture there on throttle base I have it circled it has screw in it. 2nd picture has a black push button which I thought was a choke.I went & took another picture of the black push button was talking about. I even pulled the carpet up around throttle and where that button is thinking maybe they covered something else up.But didn't find anything. I don't know if I'm overlooking something or it's just not there. I thought about taking it apart. It just has 1 screw in center and 1 on each corner of black plastic cover.Let me know what you think. There has to be a way to throttle it up when trying to start it. Or maybe I'm wrong.
Pappy I took carburetor off and cleaned it and ended up buying a kit for it. Then got in the boat got to looking at the throttle and when I loosened the screw in center I was able to pull it out and move forward. Then I adjusted the idle adjustment screw. I now have the motor running. It started up 4 times today and even sat there and idled for 5minutes. I also put a new impeller on it. The one on it was wore out looked like. So thank you for all your help. You are great. My nephews said thank you. We are going to Grenada Mississippi next wk fishing. Thanks again Karla

W
Not sure how much help I have been on this Karla but one thing is for sure. You never gave up and that is well worth us trying to help you.
Well thank you very much. You helped alot trust me. Took the my nephews out fishing over the wkend they had a blast. So thank you again. I enjoy reading all the questions and comments on this site. Very informative and can help a person like myself. Ya have a good wk hopefully it's not as hot at your place as it is mine. We are over 100 for all this wk. Thanks Karla

Latest posts