1993 Klamath 14' Deluxe - Swivel Seat Install Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal707

Reaction score
Recently scored a nearly pristine 93 Klamath 14' Deluxe skiff with a 15hp Johnson two-stroke said to only have 15 hours on it and a 93 Caulkins galvanized trailer under it for only $1500! Also came with a nice Sunbrella Bimini top.

Want to install a couple of seats with swivel bases - bench seats on this model appear to be a thin aluminum top riveted down onto like a 1/2" thick seat top made out of what I don't know as the aluminum tops are riveted on and I'd rather not have to remove and re-rivet them. Don't want to use clamp-on mounts as the boat came with a couple and the operators seat can't be moved to the right enough to allow more clearance for the tiller control arm because of the flotation cells in the corners of the transom.

Suggestions on the best way to do accomplish this?

Pic of the rear seat mounting area

Pics of my 31 year-old creampuff

No, this forum is not dead.
You will need some kind of rigid backing to mount the hardware upon. If I knew what was on top of the thin aluminum and how well it is attached to the bench, I might suggest screwing them onto that. I see your dilemma in positioning the seat to be able to use the tiller. I wonder if you could alter the flotation top to accept the clamp on style that would normally be used for that application.
Keep checking back @NorCal707 . Some of us are out fishing and don't check in often. You'll get more suggestions soon.

I know you prefer not to remove alum and top wood....but that would be the preferred method IMO. You need to access underneath, add backing, and through bolt the seat mounts. That would make the seat mounts strong and safe. You surely do not want to lean back hard and have the mount pull out.

The alum top piece is probably to keep it looking nice instead of only wood.....wood getting gouged over the years...especially in a fishing boat.