1995 125 Mariner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick50

Reaction score
well I was hoping never to use this part of this site, but here I am........

While I was fishing yesterday, I cranked the motor and was starting to idle, when the motor stopped and would not crank. I took the cover off and looked at all the connections and made sure it was nothing obvius. I then tryed to crank it again and it started, but before I could put the cover on it killed again and would not start again. I started using the trolling motor to get to the main waterway and after a little while tried it one more time, it cranked, this time I threw it in forward and ran back to the launch at full throttle!!!!!!!

I have a book on this motor and have a little knowledge of it, but does anyone know if there is a website that sells dependable parts at reasonable prices?

I have changed the switch box in this motor about 8 years ago and the stator was changed in it......

Forgive me, but want to ask a few simple questions due to the problems several friends and I have had in the past few weeks. Have you checked for water in your gas? Have you used Ethanol gas in it? I went for a boat ride Friday with a coworker from the shipyard and his was acting simular to yours. He put his in the shop. They said that due to it being a 80's model, Ethanol won't affect it like my 4-stroke eating the o-rings out. The problem is the water that ethanol bonds with corrodes and leaves deposits. Once the fuel sits up, it goes through a phase separation which all of a sudden the water separates from the gas. Thus u end up with a lot of water in your tank.

Just a thought.

I use sta-bil (gas stabilzer) with the gas and have a water seperator. when I get home I run all the gas out the motor.

I just noticed the other day the place i nomally get the gas from may contain up to 10% ethanol.....

I don t think it is a fuel problem....

When you say it won't crank, do you mean the motor won't turn over when you twist the key, or that it will turn over, but it won't run?

It turns over but would not start at that particular time,when it sat for a while and I tried it again it , it fired up and I was able to get back to the launch.

When I got home I tried it again and it cranked right up.....

I guess this is one of those intermittent problems!!!!!!

Somebody said that mercury/mariner outboards have a tendancy to go through power packs (switch boxes)......I know this will be the third one I have to change if this is the problem.

Latest posts