1998 25HP MERC 2 Stroke issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKNIGHT006

Reaction score
Guys,

I was running my boat this weekend, and everything was fine when going from the ramp to my hunting spot. I eventually started back up to run to another hole. When I got to my destination, I shifted to neutral and prepared to shut down... only to realize that i was still making forward progress(at a decent rate of speed) I quickly realized that even in neutral, i was still moving and used the kill switch to shut it down. I checked that it was in neutral and started back up... As soon as it started, I was in fact in neutral, but the motor was screaming as if running wide open.. I quickly shifted into gear and took off like a banshee before shutting down again with the kill switch.

I got home, and checked everything, and nothing stood out as to what would cause this. I hooked up my ears and started the motor, in hopes that it worked itself out. It took more pulls than normal to start, and when it did, although the prop wasn't spinning, the motor was screaming as if wide open....

I am somewhat good with motors, but I don't even know where to start with this one. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, this motor has the throttle shift, not the side mounted shifter, just putting it out there.

Trey Knight.

Check to make sure your cables are right.I believe there's 2 that operate the throttle & shift.I'll look at mine if need be.