2 800gph Bilge Pumps sufficient?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Man

Reaction score
In my 1652 Lowe, I am going to run a dual bilge pump setup, with one on an automatic float switch, and another on a manual switch. I am thinking a pair of 800gph should do the trick, but I just want to make sure I am not undersizing. Any opinions?

I typed incorrectly, it will not be on a float switch, but on a contact switch found here:

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-America-36303-Marine-Control/dp/B000N9RF1K/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

I normally keep the boat on my trailer, so an automatic isn't critical, but several weekends during the summer the boat stays docked, so in case something happens, rain etc, it would be nice to have some sort of safety precaution, and I have read way too much bad to want to rely on a float switch, when this contact switch is the same money.

I run 2 800gph pumps on my 21x triton have never had a problem
the switch looks okay for what your planning
the only issue I have had with the float switch was when pulling my boat up the ramp It kicked on and filled my buddies van with water as it went by his open window..

I imagine that would be plenty for any normal fishing activity. Does the contact switch just short out when water gets around it? I use a float switch, worked so far, I can imagine some things screwing it up though.
Gives me peace of mind when docked overnight.
Tim

Those contact switches are the way to go!

Light years ahead of the old neanderthal toggle float switches that have a bad habit about hanging up in the on position and killing a battery, or hanging up and not coming on, allowing the boat to sink. You won't have those issues with the contact switch. And 2 800 gph pumps should be more than enough for the average boat.

My jetboat has 4 bilge pumps with a combined GPH of about 2700. Maybe overkill, but considering where I operate, with para-sail boats that throw 3 foot waves capable of swamping a johnboat (been there and done it, twice, with the same POS 'captain'), I like having more than enough pumps.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332357#p332357 said:
earl60446 » Today, 12:59[/url]"]I imagine that would be plenty for any normal fishing activity. Does the contact switch just short out when water gets around it? I use a float switch, worked so far, I can imagine some things screwing it up though.
Gives me peace of mind when docked overnight.
Tim

Basically yes.

The float switches are succeptable to leaves and debris getting in them and either keeping the pump off or turning it on. LIke I previously stated, the boat has no flotation foam in it currently, which needs to be dealt with in case it ever gets swamped. The chance this will actually happen? Slim to none, but no one plans for accidents, otherwise they would be called on purposes.

Latest posts