35 horse Evinrude any ideas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
Found a 97 Evinrude 35 horse someone is selling, the guy says "Had the motor checked out and it has a spun bearing that wont allow it to crank over." Any ideas on what he is talking about and what it would take to fix it?
Chris

only thing that i could think of would be the top or bottom crankshaft bearing is seized and wont allow the crankshaft to spin. sounds like it was submerged or run hot or without lubrication

The also said that his mechanic told him it would be around 300 to repair. He is asking $500 for it, which even if it is a simple fix I still wouldn't pay that for it. He says the usual, "Ran great until it went down." "Nothing wrong with this motor, other then known issue." I am a bit afraid of it, but curious because it is a newer motor and at the hp I am looking for.
If it is the crankshaft bearing, is this something a shade tree mechanic with some skill with a wrench can handle or is this not an easy fix?

Chris

These motors are fairly simple, that is if its a two stroke like im thinking. The hardest part in rebuilding one is getting the powerhead off if its been used in saltwater, and then resealing the two crankcase halves together. If you do try to rebuild one, be absolutely sure to keep the connecting rods and end caps together the way they came off - they have to line up perfectly, and wont do it if they are flipped around. They super cool the rods, then break off the caps, so they have irregular edges.

I don't think the shadetree mechanic is gonna do it. Takes a lot of dismantling. If the bearing is seized, then the crankshaft may also be ruined. $300 won't touch it.

I replaced a crankshaft on my 150 johnson, traded in my old one (rebuildable) for a rebuilt one plus I had to add $600. New one cost $1200.

Tim

2 stroke motors are fairly simple to work on, usually common sense a camera, manual and tools is all you need+ parts of course. Sounds like more trouble than its worth to me tho. If it was so cheap to fix why don't be get it fixed and double his money?
People will tell ya anything to get in your pocket.

TxTightLiner said:
2 stroke motors are fairly simple to work on, usually common sense a camera, manual and tools is all you need+ parts of course. Sounds like more trouble than its worth to me tho. If it was so cheap to fix why don't be get it fixed and double his money?
People will tell ya anything to get in your pocket.

I agree.

Tell him if he gets it fixed and running well, you'll pay him $800.

The 97' 35 was a loop charged 3 cylinder with the 34.5ci block. Very powerfull motor from what I have heard but I also have heard a lot of bad things about these motors. It can be fixed but is not worth it in my opinion, just like the above posts state. Also if it is seized then it likely was abused and there is a good chance it has other issues. Buy one that is running already unless he gives it to you for free. then sell it for parts and still buy a different motor :lol:

$500 is way to much for a seized motor of that size. You will likely put another $1000 into it minimum before it sees water

I have a 1998 3 cylinder 35hp Johnson. I've owned since almost new and it has been great. However, my OB mechanic who I trust and has many years of OMC certifications/experience, says it: "was one of the best engines OMC ever made, coupled with the worst oil injection system OMC ever made". He strongly suggested I pull it out and upgrade fuel pump and do oil pre-mix. Have not done it so far. I do have the System Check but it does NOT indicate if the oil is not flowing, only low oil (in tank), no oil (in tank, not that there's no oil being dispensed), overheat and Check Engine.

NautiBuoys - Your mechanic is correct in this case. Pull it off and go on with life. I currently have 4 of those engines. Two have the injection on them but I am not running those engines yet. When I do it will come off. At least start adding oil to your gasoline in addition to the injection. Those engines are few and far between and well worth preserving in top condition. I would not "bet" my powerhead and the cost of rebuilding it on that system. They are about the fastest and most powerful 25/35 on the water. If you question whether I know what I am talking about...........read my profile. Was there during that era.
Johny25 - There was still a 2-cylinder engine manufactured and sold in 1997, am thinking they were 20 and 30hp though. Few 3-cylinders were sold compared to
2-cylinders. Alot of the dealer network never even knew about the 3-cylinder or hardly knew about them. Terrible marketing back then. The 3 cylinder was expensive to build and when you are geared to selling based on horsepower alone there was very little profit margin in selling the 3-cylinder. Oh, and chances are that anything bad you heard about those engines is related to the oil injection one way or another. They are rockets on the water and as long as they have at least 50:1 or more the will live the good life!

As far as repairing the existing engine the OP wants opinions on..........there is no way we can tell you which way to go. Would have to see the damage. I seriously doubt a bearing seized before a piston did unless the engine ingested water and it was left in the upper or lower bearing....a piston would be good news and fairly straightforward to repair. If the crank is good and the cylinder can be bored or cleaned up then the engine would be worth it.....as long as a qualified guy did the work. Those particular engines are fairly easy to get to the crank time wise.
Heck.....if you dont want it and the powerhead is rebuildable........I would love to have it.

Pappy,
Much thanks for that info! I will start adding oil to my gasoline in addition to the injection, as I agree with you about those engines. Mine is mint, starts like a dream, is extremely smooth (I do some trolling with it) and yet very powerful.

Question-what goes on those oil mixing units? Seems its just a straight-forward diaphragm design? One would think it should be bullet-proof?

BTW, I just joined this site days ago and already look at the great info being shared. Much thanks all...

Just found this page for .pdf on-line engine manuals. Wish I had found it before as Price sure beats what I paid off eBay for the hard copy manual. They have a whole bunch of other outboard manuals as well that might help others. If this is spam, you can remove but again I wish I knew about this site before:

https://www.pdfforless.com/outboard.motors/johnson.evinrude/1998.Johnson.Evinrude.EC.25.35.HP.3-cylinder.outboards.service.manual.htm

pappy, do still have any of those 3 cylinder 35's? I am looking for one. I put a 25 on my dad's tracker, and it's been turn key since I replaced the power pack. Should have never given it to him.

Latest posts