4.80X12 tires

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New River Rat said:
Thanks for the input, guys, I guess I'll go do some research on 13" replacement trailer tires. So far I've seen some good looking tires and specs!

Let us know what you find. I'm interested in going up to 13" tires, if they will fit my trailer.

My tire guy at Discount tire has gotten to be a buddy. He insisted I not even look at 13" Trailer tires. He sold me cheap car tires and I love them. The boat does not bounce around on the trailer and soaks up all the rocks we have here. He said when it's 120 degrees like we get here I'll thank him.

I run 13" passenger tires on my trailer as well. Never had any issues or trailer sway. It soaks up the bumps nice and rides like a Cadillac back there. My car barely weighs 2000lbs and I use to run 13s on it. I say if my car can handle it (which was driven hard) then my trailer can handle it in a straight line.

If your trailer came with 8" tires then it prolly has small axle hubs, and most are rated for a max tire size of 12". Just something else to keep in mind.

Wyatt said:
I run 13" passenger tires on my trailer as well. Never had any issues or trailer sway. It soaks up the bumps nice and rides like a Cadillac back there. My car barely weighs 2000lbs and I use to run 13s on it. I say if my car can handle it (which was driven hard) then my trailer can handle it in a straight line.
I think it's going to depend on the situation. If you are hauling a heavy boat (or any other heavy trailer load), then car tires will probably be inadequate. However, for 16' or under aluminum boat, an empty weight for baot and motor is probably no more than 1200 lbs, add max 500 for trailer, still well under 1T. I can see how "real" radial tires could induce sway in some situations, but I think that any bias ply (or probably even radial/bias in most cases) tire with adequate load and speed ratings would suffice for this kind of use.

Latest posts