5-12 to

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
IRI 5-12-2009 (Chompers)
Decided to get some sleep and hit the Inlet late in the morning and hope for the same tide to produce again with the sunrise .
I arrived at 2:30am and played with the Shad for 3 hours . I was pleasantly surprised at the results ... I got 3 Hickories and about 75 Americans up to about 6 pounds and had a friggin blast I also got 1 schoolie around dawn at about 24 inches .
After landing the Striper I thought it was a good idea to put the PM back to work
I threw it for about 30 minutes and the sun was totalloy up when I get a horrific slam .. I was pumped because it ripped drag a few times just like the 40"er yesterday but when I got it close the line parted and was clean cut . I rerig and 2 cast later it happens again and 4 casts later again . When I would reel in fast to recast they would nail it . The 5th one hit like a freight train and immediately went airborn and was about 25 feet out so I got a real good look .. It was a Bluefish .. A real one around 30 inches .
Ok so I got no more 6" PM's and no wire so I put a 4" swimbait on and keep it up towards the surface and sure enough 30 feet from me it get taken whole by a Chomper .
I lost a total of about 12 swimbaits before putting my tail between my legs and scurrying home .
I also got a text on my way home that some nice Stripers were caught last night out front .
Sporto it was good to see ya again .. Should have stayed awhile longer

IRI & RI 5-19-2009
I got to the inlet around 2am and found the water pretty clear and light winds from the NE and lots of baitfish . I started with a Yum Jerkbait and started bailing Shad as I expected . I noticed some Flatties playing in the clouds of bait so I played dangerous and gave it a shot .. I landed 2 at around 16" and missed a possible keeper that popped off . Well that was about it for the Flounder so I tried a few Swimbaits for Stripers but got no bites . I went back to Shad until 4am when I packed up and headed to RI ..
I arrive at about 4:40am and it still dark as the sun tries to come up beyond the dark clouds . The water was clear and I saw Snapper Blues and Shad and picked up 2 of each on a tandem rig with Gulp Pogies . The tide was still incoming and the water was relatively clear with winds from the SW at about 12 MPH . I ended up getting snagged and when I went to rerig I realized I had forgot my leader material . The walk out was dangerous as the rocks had moved terribly over the winter so I declined walking back and settled on a particular Swimbait I bought just for RI .. A 4" Yellow or light Chartreuse Tsunami with Red Eyes ;)
Anyhow 3rd cast I get slammed and feel a heavy head shake but it pops free after a 15 second tussle . I kept tossing it without any hits and then the tide slacked at high tide and the water progressively got worse and worse until it was a muddy mess with 2" viability . I still kept at it hoping on a nice Flounder but it was meant to be .. Atleast not Flounder anyways .. I made a long cast and on the count of 20 while it was dropping I get slammed again and I know its a nice Striper .. A nice guy from PA (Gary) was there ready with a net but as it got close it went nuts and made another run .. I couldnt believe the size of this fish .. It had to be 45" with the largest eyes I ever seen on a Striped one . I managed to get it back close but as the net went into the water the fish opened its mouth and I swear it smiled and as it did the swimbait shot out and almost hit me square in the forehead .. Man I wish I could have got that baby in as I am sure it was going to be my "NEW PB" :angry:
Oh well I went back to the truck after that and got my leader but I made my mind up to slow swim that Swimbait until either I caught a fish or lost it .. A "Sacrificial Lamb" so to speak ;)
5 casts and 2 snags later I get slammed again and again I can tell it isnt a Flounder but yet another Striper .. I land this one with my hands as Gary missed it twice with his net but atleast I got it :)
100_4155.jpg

The Striper was just shy of 30" . The next cast I lost the swimbait :)
I rigged up another tandem rig with Gulp Pogies again and within the next 30 minutes I land 2 Flounder at 17" and miss a third . The tide started screaming out and the winds switched to the N and white caps formed the water still getting worse and no more bites . I walked around making random casts and settled in near the Yacht Club but only got Grass and Weeds . I packed it in at 8:45am .

CHP 5-22-09 Opening Day
Dropped the lil woman off at work and headed to CHP to take a looksie . Found about 6 people fishing with very clear water and 8 to 12 MPH winds from the SW . I walked out and chatted with a friend and watched 4 Flounder get caught as well as 2 from boats .. I had enough and was on my way to gear up :)

Right side..
100_4168.jpg

Left side ..
100_4169.jpg

Straight down the wood ..
100_4170.jpg

I started catching right away and after #4 I was mobbed by an idiot ! I moved to the other side of him and start my campaign again and what do you know 2 Idiots do it again .
I finally had enough and move to the corner where "Monica" was catching a few here and there . I made small talk with her giving tips and noticed her tandem rig had both lead heads 2" apart . I explained that that was not good and tied he one of my own and on cast #2 ..
100_4175.jpg

Her first double ever and a few casts later she does it again . I then explain the difference in Mono and Braid and she goes and gets some braid and is tickled to death when she lands a Bluefish and Shad back to back along with some more Flounder :)
All in all I got about 35 to 40 Flounder with most 17 to 18 inches as well as some Blues like this ..
100_4177.jpg

CHP 5-24-09
I fished from 11pm to 6am and caughts lots of Flounder with only 1 keeper . There was quite a showing of "DF" members :)
wannafishallday , Redhawk12 , SSEddie , Kwan , 9wait , Okimavich , ju-man , jirwin6985 , Right Hook , a friend of Kwan,s and soon to be new member and myself fished throughout the wee hours . wannafishallday had the honey hole for that particular tide and was just as happy as could be .. He caught his first Flounder as well as his first Keeper Flounder as well as many many TB's . Okimavich joined wfad and started his own campaign with 2 keepers and many many TB's . Eddie caught a few and had stopped at IRI for a few Shad and they proved to be very helpful in the darker areas ;) but he retired to the car for a nap just about when the bite was the best . Kwan nailed a few TB's as did Redhawk12 . jirwin6985 and his GF fished awhile but didnt stay very long and I dont recall his stats . Kwan's friend got a nice keeper and was just as happy as a lark :) ju-man nailed fish here and there and moved around a bit looking for stray fish .
We banged then pretty good but not many keepers .
Ok I got to roll to work and the bite was just about to get hot .. I left the boys there and hopefully the score well with the morning bite since they have the best spots locked down :)
A few pics .. (with the new camera:))

My pup Bubbles :)
dsci0003.jpg

wannafishallday (Jimmy) and his Keeper
dsci0009.jpg

Redhawk12 (TIM) and just 1/8th shy
dsci0010.jpg

Kwans friend and his keeper (I forgot his name)
dsci0011.jpg

ju-man (Judah) with one of his keepers
dsci0012.jpg

Okimavich (John) with his two keepers
dsci0014.jpg

Mine ..
dsci0013.jpg

CHP 5-25/ 5/26 2009 (1st Limit)
I got home around 4pm from work and was way too stressed at all the traffic .. man was it BAD !
I played around online for awhile and noticed a call from Jiro saying he'd be down this way .. This was around 6pm during dinner and I immediately called him seeing that his call was around 1:30pm ( Just when the rain and winds started ;) No seriously they did ) . I get him on the phone and he say "get down here" :) LMAO!! It was raining balls and I knew that the pier would be desolate .. I didnt even ask how the bite was .
I arrived at about 7pm and slowly walk out to meet up with Jiro and I see a nice fish swirl so I stop and watch .. Again but I still couldnt make it out .
So I get almost to the end and I see Jiro .. Its been a Looong time since I fished with him and it was nice to get the chance .
I was almost sweating with all the gear I was wearing but the rain held off for quite awhile other than a very light Fog/Mist .
I started out with Pogies but the water wasnt the clearest and I got no attention on them and saw Jiro get a few on the Mullets so I switched to a Chart and a Pink and very slowly started to pick up a few fish . The bite would come in spurts and it was tough but I noticed that almost every fish was atleast 17" with quite a few between 18.25 and 18.49 .
The tide had been going out for awhile and was almost halfway out .. I knew at some point the fish would bite really good someplace near the last 2 lights at low tide . The first and third light was on fire and basically it was me and Jiro with the whole end to ourselves . Jiro takes a walk and about 15 minutes later I get my first keeper . I went to get a stringer and I saw 2 nice flounder around 6 to 8 pound taken from the first light and Jiro also got a keeper .
Jiro moved around while I stayed and waited and pick up random fish here and there and by the time Jiro gets back I had 2 more keepers and lost 2 nice fish in the 4 to 5 pound range ... The guy next to me landed 2 nice ones too and lost 2 .
I was trying hard to get that 4th fish and it was disheartening to see how many were over 18 but not keepers .. Incredible !
We had tons of Bunker popping everywhere so we had been going at it with just Gulp and at one point I was using Shark Belly to land keepers 2 and 3 . At this point I kept some kind of bait on the jig with the Gulp .
I rigged up a Sabiki and went to work trying to keep the Bunker on the small hooks .. I'd snag multiple Bunker and not land 1 one every cast .. I double the weight and that was the ticket .. I still missed a lot but I managed to put about 8 on the wood . I got lost playing with them :)
Anyhow Jiro stripped them out and we fished for awhile with a few more Tb's .
So Jiro cuts out at some point and I really dont have a clue of time at this point but I know its getting close to feeding time as it was close to lowtide .
In 20 minutes I got my 4th keeper and by 6am I have released 5 more keepers . An hour before dead low I landed fish on almost every cast and on 1 run it was 13 in a row .
There was 2 guys to my right at the next light and 2 behind me on another light and 3 guys at the fence on the left and they were all nice enough to let me slay those fish for that hour without once coming over and tossing a line .. I cant believe it !!
One guy works for the parks and recs and I fish with him often and although he came over 3 times to chat and look at the fish he never made a cast ?? I aint gonna ***** thats for sure but I doubt that ever happens again in my life .
This is the night I have waited for since they took my Battle Wagon last year :)
FRESH BUNKER was NO doubt the ticket !
100_4181.jpg

100_4180.jpg

CHP 5-26 / 5-27-2009
I hit the pier at about 11:30pm and started at the first light . In 20 minutes and 2 lights later I had 2 tails bit off by snapper blues and landed 2 small 12" Flounder . The guy behind me catches a small one and then another around 17" and it turns out to be Eddie . I asked where Kwan was and he said he was a light down . I missed 2 more before I bumped into Kwan .
The 3 of us were joined by Redhawk12 (Tim) a short while later . I had been to the fence and was working my way back when Tim arrived .
Eddie , Kwan and myself worked back towards the shore with a few TB's but just not impressionable enough . We made a plan to hit IRI for some fresh Shad since the winds had the water roughed up and no visable signs of Bunker although you could hear a few now and then . The plan was for them to catch the Shad and me to fillet them and strip them out .
It looked pretty good because Eddie landed one on the 1st cast but tha was the only one other than 2 I caught .. Bonus fish was 1 Schoolie a piece for the 3 of us ;)
So we head back to the pier and find Tim just about to make a WAWA run and he was toting a nice Keeper Flattie :)
WTG Tim !
The bite was much improved with the cutbait .. We began to land some fish with keepers every now and then .
Kwan had 2 keepers , Tim had 3 keepers and myself I also had 3 keepers (18.5,20" & 21.5") .
Tsm3404 (Tim) arrived just as I had to go but I told him I'd be back in about an hour ..
Eddie and Kwan also took a break and headed for Food and Tackle .. We left the two "Tims" with an incoming a tad bit cleaner water but unfortunately the bite had died 45 minutes prior ..
Headed back in a few so I'll finish this when I get back hopefully with a few pics ..
Time to head back for #4 ;)

Went Back 5-27
Tim and a keeper
100_4187.jpg

Here's the 3 I got early in the AM
100_4189.jpg

Went back for my 4th ;)
100_4188.jpg

100_4190.jpg

Caught A LOT of TB's before I finally flipped that 24.75" Flounder over the rail :)
dsci0005.jpg

Wagamons Pond 5-20-2009 (Bubbles,Bass,Carp and Teeth)
Bubbles was having problems the last few night and it appeared to be something caught in her mouth . Awhile ago she acted the same and it turned out to be a piece of hard food lodge between her gums and teeth , I popped it out and she ate it ;)
Oh and its hard to believe that a 4 pound Dog can keep you out of her mouth .
This time after trying to see what the problem is I found a small lump on the left side below the jaw line . It appeared to be a tooth problem that has gotten infected . This morning she would not leave it alone and was sticking her whole paw in her mouth and crawling around on her back .. I noticed the bloody paws and we were off .
The wife dropped me at Wagamons as just to watch Bubbles broke my heart so I could bear to go .
I walked up to the water which was GLASS and started to rig up a Crappie Magnet and I noticed a funny looking LOG and wondered where it came from .. A moment later the logs tail came up and its head went down and I realized it was a 30+ pound carp at approx 4 feet long . I looked for it and saw a group of 4 more and father down near the ramp I saw 6 more and all were sunning and between 15 and 30+ pounds . I was shocked because although I had glimpes of them I never knew just how BIG they were .
The mailman stooped and we chatted about the upcoming Flounder Tourney and while shooting the sh!t I noticed 2 LMB right on the shoreline that went 4 to 6 pounds and appeared to be spawning .
All in all I was there for 2 hours and didnt wet a line but had a GREAT time none the less and at 12 pm when I saw my truck and my 4 pound Bubbles I was the happiest man alive :) She had a back tooth lose and it was layed down and driving her nuts . She is well .. well kinda drunk (had to sedate her to look in her mouth) is more like it but she will be fine . Doc said the other side might fail also within the year .
OK so now I am headed back to Wagamons :)
If your around stop and say hey !

So I went Back to Wagamons 5-20-09
Sorry this is a bit late but I just didnt have the time .
I got back and walked a few feet near the rocks and saw these guys ..
100_4156.jpg

New Born Bass Fry ..
100_4159.jpg

Only found 2 schools of the fry and about 12 pairs of mating LMB . I noticed that no matter how quite and light footed I was I could only get so close . The small 1 to 2 inch Gills and Crappie would run from me first and send the Bass into a fit chasing the small panfish . I tried many time to get a pic but it was not happening .

It was a Super calm day with water like Glass !
100_4161.jpg

100_4162.jpg

100_4163.jpg

100_4164.jpg

I ended up with a few and far between Crappie and Gills .
I loved this Dark Black Crappie :)
100_4167.jpg

There was a few over 5 pounds and atleast 1 over 6 .. I saw a large tail but nothing else , it appeared to be a hoss(ette)

Tight Lines !

I always love reading your post!

Glad bubbles is doing better - I know how if feels when you've got a sick puppy and there's nothing you can do about it

russ010 said:
I always love reading your post!

Glad bubbles is doing better - I know how if feels when you've got a sick puppy and there's nothing you can do about it
Thanks Russ ;) If you are ever in the area look me up :)

Nice fishing again.You ever target bluefish on top water there?(probably)
They can be a blast at times.
A great read as usual,nice job.

ilinimud said:
Your fishing reports are the best. Make sure you post these on your AOY thread!!!
I dont get that AOY thing ?? I only see one AOY post ?
I tried rereading Jims thread with the rules but I am lost !

Latest posts