'63 (I think) Alumacraft FD

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briley1975

Reaction score
New to the group. Just "inherited" this boat from my father. He retired last year on his 45' Ocean Alexander, and this couldn't go with him. I've been scouring the web for ideas on what to do with it and have come across some great ideas on here. The background on the boat- been in my family since it was maybe a year or two old. Has an 18hp Johnson on the back. My father had long ago upgraded to a bass boat and so this sat on his lot at his work. 20 years of sitting later, I'm bringing it home. So, I know the motor needs some love, impeller, carb, etc. can anyone give me a ballpark on costs of a decent engine cleanup/rebuild/make it run again? No leaks that I'm aware of, will fill w water to test when I bring it home. I know it's been asked a million times in here but how much does taking out that middle seat really affect anything? Front casting deck on it now will be replaced w lighter wood/ aluminum framing. Seats are also shot but bases still good. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444782269.519510.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1444782284.068669.jpg

Congratulations, you just took ownership of one of the most timeless combinations of hull/motor/manufacturer made in the last 60 years.

The 18 can easily be rehabbed if there is nothing catastrophically wrong with it. That FD will take up to a 25 if you want, but you surely don't NEED any more.

You will decide what you want out of it, but you don't need to change anything from the basic unit unless you have a specific need to do so.

Nice package and take pictures as you go along.

Pappy (the engine guru and wise man) may come along and talk at length about the 18.

Well done, Sir.

Thanks Kismet. I'm pretty excited to get it and get it fixed up. My son (will be 5 in January) will be the 4th generation to fish in it (he is wearing me out to get out and fish in it) as at one point I think this was my grandfathers. I know I want to put in a floor as I want a level floor for him to be able to stand on. I like the idea of the deck on the front but it is currently made with a tractor trailer door blank (3/4" ply sandwiched between a layer of aluminum front and back= strong but heavy). As I said, the 20 years outside have rotted that wood/deck, and i am looking to cut weight so I am probably going with aluminum frame between front seats and possibly back to the third and 1/2" ply on top. I really hope to get the motor going and not have to buy a new/new to me motor- I am hoping to keep the cost as low as possible (so far it is a free deal). I have someone doing the bearings and putting new tires before i bring it home as the ones on it are dry rotted and it is currently 3 hours away from me. Also have my eyes on craigslist for new trolling motor as I would be willing to bet what is on it is shot.

Will definitely take pics along the way. Hope to have it to my house in the next month to get started. And for those wondering as it seems to be a question often asked, will be used in Chattanooga area lakes/TN River. Mostly bass, crappie, blue gill-whatever is biting really. Don't think I would set it up any one particular way. I've caught about every fresh water species in it set up as it is while growing up, just want to make it a little more comfy.

Im on my second older alumacraft. They are awesome boats. They are built like tanks. Other than just saying that they are awesome I really don't have a lot to say about them.

That rig looks to be in great shape. Awsome score.