6hp to small?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogsluvtrux

Reaction score
Backstory...

I got a Lowe 1436 about 8 months ago, that needed some work. Personal/family issues set the boat aside for awhile, but I have pulled the project out again...

The goal is to get the boat on the water with little to no cash out of pocket, I can trade for parts/pieces needed, or barter item I already have. I got the boat and trailer in trade for a old 5x10 trailer that was left at the new house I bought.

Currently, I have a two month old Stihl MS290 with a 20" Bar and case worth approx. $450.00 retail...I paid nothing for the saw, purchasing it with Stihl rewards point from work, so no cash out of my pocket.

Looking at a trade for a 6hp Johnson Tiller....is this motor to small for a 14' Jon? I don't want to break any speed records, but 15mph on plane would be nice...is this a bad/good deal on my part? I don't know a whole lot about the value of outboards....

cant beat a free boat!

the 6hp wont have enough balls to get you on plane, maybe 5-6mph. goodluck w/ it ill keep my eyes open for ya

dogsluvtrux said:
Backstory...

I got a Lowe 1436 about 8 months ago, that needed some work. Personal/family issues set the boat aside for awhile, but I have pulled the project out again...

The goal is to get the boat on the water with little to no cash out of pocket, I can trade for parts/pieces needed, or barter item I already have. I got the boat and trailer in trade for a old 5x10 trailer that was left at the new house I bought.

Currently, I have a two month old Stihl MS290 with a 20" Bar and case worth approx. $450.00 retail...I paid nothing for the saw, purchasing it with Stihl rewards point from work, so no cash out of my pocket.

Looking at a trade for a 6hp Johnson Tiller....is this motor to small for a 14' Jon? I don't want to break any speed records, but 15mph on plane would be nice...is this a bad/good deal on my part? I don't know a whole lot about the value of outboards....

I don't think you're going to get over 10mph with a 6, even bare bones with you and nothing else. You could sell the saw or get the 6 and then trade up with some minimal cash for a bigger outboard?

For mostly small lakes and my annual trip to reelfoot, 10 mph would be fine, I think.

I'm trying really hard not to put any extra cash in this at all...so far, I've got the boat and trailer for a trade of a trailer that came with the property I bought, the plywood for the decking from helping with a basement remodel, trading a free chainsaw for a outboard, I have a trolling motor that doesn't work that I'm going to dump for parts and get some cash to roll back into the boat. If I do need to put in any cash, I'll have to sell something else to get it. I've got pile of scrap metal, and some nonworking appliances that I was planning to recycle for title and lic. fees...

I made a bet that I could make this happen with no extra cash to a buddy of mine...at this point I'm not sure whats worth more....my pride or a the thirty-pack of Natural Light..... :wink:

Well I made the trade....I got a 6hp eveinrude, gas tank, and $50.00 for my chainsaw! Motor runs good, we fired it up in his driveway and he pulled the cord out. He felt bad enough he gave me 50.00 to have it fixed...

Now to find a trolling motor.

Latest posts