9.9 Evinrude tell tale issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evinrudeguy

Reaction score
I have a 1980 evinrude 9.9 model e10rcse. I’m having an issue with the no water coming out of the tell tale. It was perfectly fine before, I started it up to adjust the idle and throttle and it no longer started coming out, I replaced the water pump housing all the gaskets and the impeller since it was shot. Still no water coming out. So I took everything back apart rechecked my work and used a garden house to shoot up the pipe and it came out the tell tale. Put it back together put it in a tub and again no water comes out. Took everything about again, checked my work for the third time, made sure there was no debris again put water through the tell tale this time backwards to come out of the water pump pipe, again no luck after putting it together. Left it complete and again sprayed water from the tell tale through and it came out of the water intake, but nothing going up. I’m seeing mixed things about a possible thermostat, I’m unsure if there is actually one or not and if that could be a cause. Right now I’m lost so any other insight and suggestions would be great!

Check to make sure the little key is inside the impeller to lock it to the shaft . And make sure your water level in the test tank is well above the cavitation plate.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Well yes it was, the key was perfectly fine. My dumb ole self didn’t have the water line high enough to create a pressure to make the pump shoot up, I took it off of the stand and lowered it into the bucket after I started it and it immediately started shooting out. 🤦🏼‍♂️

evinrudeguy said:
Well yes it was, the key was perfectly fine. My dumb ole self didn’t have the water line high enough to create a pressure to make the pump shoot up, I took it off of the stand and lowered it into the bucket after I started it and it immediately started shooting out. 🤦🏼‍♂️

The water line was literally about a half inch short

There is actually a parting line above the cav plate. The water level should be well above this and around the lower mount area for test purposes.
Since you now know the location of the water pump. Visualize where it is above the gearcase housing and submerge the whole pump!!!