A grilling I will go...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
My wife went to the Cirque du Soleil with one of her friends, so I figured I would grill some Steelhead Trout for dinner.

Here’s a “Before” shot. Actually taken a minute after it was put on the grill because I forgot to take a picture before.
grilled_steelie001_%28600_x_450%29.jpg

Here is the “After” shot. The ketchup is from the baked French fries I had for a side dish. I only ate half of the fillet, but may have the other half here in a bit.
grilled_steelie003_%28600_x_450%29.jpg

1 steelhead fillet
Tsp kosher salt
½ tsp Fortner’s Seasoning blend #89
¼ tsp granulated garlic
¼ tsp lemon pepper

Coat both sides of fillet w/olive oil
Season flesh side of fillet
Grill over high heat flesh side first 7 minutes
Grill skin side 3 minutes

If you don’t know what Fortner’s is, it is a small company in Lake Mills, Wisconsin that makes all kinds of all natural, salt free, seasoning blends. We bought some at the Wiscoland State Fair. Blend 89 is a blend of quite a few herbs and spices. According to the label it contains Dill, Lemon, Paprika, Rosemary, Allspice, Basil, Fennel, Bayleaf, Garlic and Pepper. The amount I used was just a tad over powering, I’ll cut it back a bit next time. I used some tartar sauce (not much) to mellow the seasoning out a bit.

Now Flounder, I really can't believe that you wouldn't have loved to try that 4lb largemouth you let go (claimed I cut your line) with all that special sauce and recipe your posting here - I know you don't have any need for Lg Mouths, but I can't help thinking it would have tasted pretty good...... :D

I have to tell you...that is sorry! Post pics of a beautiful fillet grillin' then a empty plate and suds can...man is my mouth watering! I almost hope the ketchup gave you heartburn...LOL...just kiddin'!

phased said:
I have to tell you...that is sorry! Post pics of a beautiful fillet grillin' then a empty plate and suds can...man is my mouth watering! I almost hope the ketchup gave you heartburn...LOL...just kiddin'!

Exactly what I was thinking....that was wrong. :LOL2:

You said you picked up the Fortner's Seasoning at the Wisconsin State Fair, is it available in any of the stores? I have relatives that live in different parts of WI, I was going to ask them to pick some up for me, but figured I should find out if it is available first.

Sorry, for the long delay. I had a run in with a nasty computer virus. FYI, don't click on anything that says Anti Virus XP 2008. It is a anti virus company that wrote a virus to infect peoples computers to sell their anti virus program... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Any how,

This is the stuff I used.

https://www.healthyheartmarket.com/fortners89.aspx

I know they make a bunch of other ones but don't have a list of them.

Here is a phone number for them I found on the internet, 1-800-753-0310. I’ll look on the jar when I get home to see if they have a web site or mailing address.

I checked the jar of seasoning and there was no web site listed. The only thing there was a mailing address.

Here it is:

Fortner’s Products
P.O. Box 143
Lake Mills, WI 53551

Walleye gets pan fried with a seasoned corn meal coating. Salmon, several different ways... I marinade it with soy sauce/brown sugar and grill it. Comes out sort of teryaki flavored. Coated with same walleye coating and panfried. When I get home (werking until 6 am) I'll compile the various Salmon recipes I have and either post them or put them on a word doc and can email it to people.

flounderhead59 said:
Walleye gets pan fried with a seasoned corn meal coating. Salmon, several different ways... I marinade it with soy sauce/brown sugar and grill it. Comes out sort of teryaki flavored. Coated with same walleye coating and panfried. When I get home (werking until 6 am) I'll compile the various Salmon recipes I have and either post them or put them on a word doc and can email it to people.

Hmmm... sounds good!