A quick question on what items to put on a switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_c

Reaction score
I'm adding a stereo, lights, a bilge pump and a finder to my boat. I have a 3-way switch panel that I want to put the lights and pump on a switch for sure, but I am unsure if the stereo and finder need their own switches or not. I was thinking of using the 3rd switch as a main fused battery switch if possible and using the built in switches on the stereo and finder when needed. I do want to prevent power from going to the stereo/finder when not in use in case something gets wet and potentially shorts. Is it ok to use one of the switches as a main power switch, ie: would it be able to handle the current from the stereo, lights, finder and pump if used all at the same time.

I also want to wire a swich for a kill for the motor. I had one on the previous layout so I know how it works, but I'll have to wire up a small panel for it anyway.

Stereo will probably draw current all the time if not switched, to save volume levels, radio stations, etc..A simple fishfinder should not draw any current when off. All those items together will draw very little current, so a good switch should work. I assume the stereo is not high wattage.
Tim

earl60446 said:
Stereo will probably draw current all the time if not switched, to save volume levels, radio stations, etc..A simple fishfinder should not draw any current when off. All those items together will draw very little current, so a good switch should work. I assume the stereo is not high wattage.
Tim

Cool, yeah that was another thing I forgot to mention that the stereo will probably draw power even when off. The switches in the panel are rated for 15A at 125/225 VAC, so I think using one should be fine for a master power switch.

Should I put two fuses in line from the switch to the finder and stereo respectively, or is one fuse between the battery and master power switch enough?

Well, small boats typically run on DC, not AC. Accessories and components should be selected accordingly. You might want to review some recent posts on this forum that cover basic boat wiring...good advice to be found there.

Sorry, I should have been more clear:

The switch panel is a marine panel (shoreline) but the switches themselves have a 125/225 VAC rating at 15A, was wondering how that converts to a 12V rating (directly? So just calculate wattage and stay around 2000W total power?)

The switches don't care if the current is AC or DC, and of course it is DC coming from a battery.

Basically my question is: is it ok to run everything through a switch with that rating, using it as a master power switch? Or should I get something bigger, since 12VDC draws more current than 120VAC for a given power (wattage) consumption.

Latest posts